Kinross sportive 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

themightyw

Satan's Budgie is a lying so and so! I finished a good 10 mins after him and he knows it. No lanterne rouge for you, Andy!

Purely from a personal perspective, that was one of the mentally toughest rides I've ever done in my life (and I've ridden 120 miles with a broken hand). Haven't done more than 40 miles this year so I knew switching from the red route to the black route was going to be hell but I hadn't counted on that weather. Freezing, exhausted, and ready to crawl into my bed. BUT - that's exactly what I hoped. Plan was to use the black route as a 'do or die' training run, and it was spot on. Organisation was second to none in my view. Great shame that no-one got to see just how beautiful some of those roads are when you can see further than 25 metres.

Great to see a couple of CCers - and congrats to SB for kicking my ass.

A good ride, but also nice to be sitting here showered, warm, well fed and with a large supply of cold beers ;)

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
OK folks time to fess up. Times are now online. My comps battery decided to die 1/2 way round so I had no idea how I was going

Me (male over 50 class) red route 5:30.53 Whoo Hoo!!!. Was expecting well over 6hrs

ACS

Legendary Member
OK folks time to fess up. Times are now online. My comps battery decided to die 1/2 way round so I had no idea how I was going

Me (male over 50 class) red route 5:30.53 Whoo Hoo!!!. Was expecting well over 6hrs

male over 50 black route 7:14:17. I had hoped to scrape under 7 hours but I think I will make this next years challenge.

I had no idea of my average speed as my Garmin developed a fault at the start. If I had known I may have been tempted to push on a bit. No matter finished, no hill walking and I lived to tell the tale.

Now, about next year............................................................ :whistle:

aberal

Guru
M - Over 50 RED 05:41:53. Deid chuffed with that. I also expected over 6hrs, especially with the cold and wet seeping into the muscles at the end. The Cateye recorded 5:27:33, so spent 14 mins faffing about at food stations and comfort stops. That was also my fastest average speed this year at 14.5mph as well as my longest ever. Black route next year? Looks pretty fearsome....

pickup1980

i done the red in a very poor time 06:09:40 did hope to do it in at least 5 BUT THE RAIN AND CRAMP killed my spirite.

Is their any other sportives like this soon, done the twa wee coonties last year but not seen it on the site.

eck

Über Member
i done the red in a very poor time 06:09:40 did hope to do it in at least 5 BUT THE RAIN AND CRAMP killed my spirite.

Is their any other sportives like this soon, done the twa wee coonties last year but not seen it on the site.
Ok, Audaxes and not sportives, but may I be permitted a shameless plug for a couple of local-ish events on Saturday 14 May, from Kirriemuir, which may be of interest to survivors of the Kinross epics.
The fairly epic Snow Road 300k and the easy peasy Potter for Tea 100k still have places left. Only £8 for the 300k and £4 for the 100k AND you get a feed including bridies and beer at the finish.
I put a post somewhere else* on here with links to maps of the route, and entry details are on the AUK website here

I think a couple of CCers have already entered the PfT and I'm expecting one from Satan's Budgie soon. In fact I'm counting on him, as a veteran of both previous editions, to accept promotion to the position of Captaine de la Route. :thumbsup:

(AFAIK, pickup1980, the Twa Wee Coonties isn't on this year.)

* https://www.cyclechat.net/

aberal

Guru
I put a post somewhere else* on here with links to maps of the route, and entry details are on the AUK website here

I had a look at this, coz I'm interested. I'd heard of the Snow Roads before, from Scoosh. Which at 300km over a couple of the highest climbs in Scotland seemed fairly stoopid, but somehow within the bounds of possibility. Then I had a look at some of your other rides. The Border Raid/Only for Softies/Mull of Kintyre - 600km IN A DAY?
ohmy.gif
ARE YOU PEOPLE AFF YER HEIDS!!!???? What the....
excl.gif

Seriously though - how many people actually take part in something as epic as that? There can't be many people with the stamina, strength or even inclination to take on a 600km/360 mile ride, surely?

AuldAl

Regular
Hard was right for me! Managed to do the black in 6 hrs 36 mins, but missed the turning for the last wee hill being hassled by the cold monsoon and lorries so landed up in Kelty & had to climb back up to the finish.

But chuffed with my performance as an over 60.

It was interesting being overtaken by all the youngsters going uphill & then pass them as they missed the bend on the 1:6 down through over enthusiastic descending. Just as well there was a gravel slipway off.

Plus a big thanks for all the chat to everyone.

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

my time on the Red route was 5.46 cateye riding time was 5.03 so i faffed about lots at stops , but did also stop to help with a puncture ( the guys pump had broken ) / never looked at my time till 4hrs 45 and was pushing 2 get under 5 hrs but had 2 slow up coming through kinross with traffic etc , was pretty happy with my time till i saw some of the other times

fimm

Veteran
That was WET.
rain.gif

6:32 total time, 6:13 rolling time according to my garmin. Happy enough with that, given that it was 40km further than I've ever cycled before. Hoped early in the day to be nearer to 6 hours, but then got awful stomach cramps - they started on the way out of Dunning and I'm hoping that all that caused it was eating my doughnut
glutton.gif
too fast and not some combination of energy drink and gels. Things got really bad on the way up to Knockhill and that slowed me down quite a lot. I didn't really feel better until I got off the Cleish Hills descent and the nice marshal on the junction told me I only had 4 miles to go! I then hoofed it back to Kinross. Only 20 women did the black, according to my boyfriend's study of the results.

The climbs weren't too bad - I thought the Wicks o' Balglie one was the toughest - the Dunning one was just long.

+ whatever to all the comments about the marshals and organisation - it must have been tough being stood out in all that weather.

I saw two men wearing CycleChat tops - one was an older man with red sleeves under the top, not in the queue at the start, and the other was younger and had black sleeves - I wondered if that was magnatom. I should perhaps have gone and said hello. (I have to confess I thought I might catch him up - but if that was magnatom, now I know his time, there's no way I'd have caught him!)

fimm

Veteran
I'll be at Glenfarg to ensure the blue and black routes split and follow the right routes, see you all there and remember to smile at the camera :rolleyes:

Have a good day one and all.

Oh, I remember you - I suspect I wasn't the only person to joke that they wanted to change to the blue route at that point! (The black went left and straight up a steep little hill.)

themightyw

Hard was right for me! Managed to do the black in 6 hrs 36 mins, but missed the turning for the last wee hill being hassled by the cold monsoon and lorries so landed up in Kelty & had to climb back up to the finish.

But chuffed with my performance as an over 60.

It was interesting being overtaken by all the youngsters going uphill & then pass them as they missed the bend on the 1:6 down through over enthusiastic descending. Just as well there was a gravel slipway off.

Plus a big thanks for all the chat to everyone.

You're not from Cupar by any chance are you?

edindave

Über Member
I suspect edindave may have ideas along those lines too .....
thumbsup.png

Yep definitely, can't make my mind up which bike to get though!!!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Something has to be done to prevent images like this appearing at sporting events!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
(Those shorts must hold about 2 litres of rainwater by the way
icon_lol.gif
)

5650317797_09cd6e4037.jpg

(I have paid for the official photo - but couldn't wait to use it
cool.gif
(great photos available now by the way - recommended!)

I was well chuffed with my time on the Red Route :biggrin:

Chip time 05:19:01.
Garmin elapsed time 05:19:04; Moving time 04:55:50; Ave moving speed 16mph
thebiggrin.gif

Ann (Smout) was 05:19:03 - how romantic, we crossed the line together
2388_smoochers.gif
icon_lol.gif

5650943600_0e2934277b.jpg

I'm certainly feeling a lot more comfy about Etape now.. and so is Ann! Even on hybrids!
cool.gif

Attachments

• cool.gif
    cool.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 50
I saw two men wearing CycleChat tops - one was an older man with red sleeves under the top, not in the queue at the start, and the other was younger and had black sleeves - I wondered if that was magnatom. I should perhaps have gone and said hello. (I have to confess I thought I might catch him up - but if that was magnatom, now I know his time, there's no way I'd have caught him!)

Hi Fimm, Yes that would have been me in the top with black arm warmers. You definitely should have said hello! :hello: I saw a few ladies on the Black and I wondered if it was you!

The other would have been Scoosh I imagine. I didn't see anyone else in CycleChat tops.

My official time was 5 hours 39mins. I had to wait in a queue for a wee at the first feed stop! :ohmy::rolleyes:

Really pleased. So I've been given the ok for another sportive this year. What should I go for? My thoughts are the Ken Laidlaw at the moment. What do you think?

I try and get my review of the event on my blog tomorrow evening.

Top Bottom