Kinross sportive 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
Hear hear... conditions were bad for the riders, but truly awful for those marshalling and helping. Hats off to them and many thanks.
thumbsup.png

We had a great day... and it's nice to see the sun again now if a little late!

OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

Hear hear... conditions were bad for the riders, but truly awful for those marshalling and helping. Hats off to them and many thanks.
thumbsup.png

We had a great day... and it's nice to see the sun again now if a little late!
agree
it was a really good day . my 1st sportive and i really enjoyed it . nice to catch up with a few CC 's as well
passing the accedent on the desent to falkland brought back bad memorys . :sad: hope those guys r are all ok ,

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
At least I managed 300metres before my mechanical this time
thumbsup.png
(previous time was 200m
angry.gif
).

I started late - second last group - and was doodling along, when Waspie came up for a chat and BANG ! - the saddle bolt sheared.
wacko.gif

Back to the start, thence to Leven Cycles in Kinross, new saddle bolt and back to the ride.

Started to catch some Blue-skins
icon_wink.gif
by the bottom of Lomond Hill. Got my first Red-skin
dirol.gif
after Freuchie, stopped to render assistance to a stuck chain before Newburgh and picked up a few more skins before a flat after Dunning
icon_rolleyes.gif

At least the sun was out by the time I finished (shows you how late I was)
icon_sad.gif

I've had better rides, I've had wetter rides.

Marshalls -
bravo.gif

boydj

Legendary Member
Fantastic day, thanks to all the guys and girls who helped out and made this Sportive run very smoothly. The only thing they didn't sort was the weather!!!
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Terrific organisation - good facilities at the start and finish, loads of helpers and fantastic home baking at the feed stops. Can't help but wonder if the organisers overdid the praying for it not to be too hot on the day, though :rolleyes:

Everybody was remarkably understanding and patient with the delayed start. Got to agree with the comments on the course - the black course was tough, but fair - though the weather didn't help with the tricky descents. The Etape should be a dawdle (relatively) after this.

Definitely one for next year.

Attachments

• wacko.gif
    wacko.gif
    681 bytes · Views: 46
OP
OP
sleekitcollie

sleekitcollie

no it wasnt me this time , i was going very slow on the desent there
scoosh sorry to hear about ur mechanicals . i caught up with a guy just after 1st feed station , same bike as u , mudguards , thought it was CC top under his waterproof . head gear very simmilar to what u ware . as i drew level i said "hi Dave . how u doing " .. it was bit embarrising when it wasnt u at all :blush:

ACS

Legendary Member
What can I say. First sportive, retained possession of the lantern rouge, got wet, stuffed my face with the best tasting tablet ever, climbed a few hills, met some very supportive riders and bacon rolls at the end.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Sorry but that was nae fun in that weather: up to Glenfarg it was good and the weather wasn't really an issue but once the rain started to get heavier it just became a physical challenge.
I did have other issues on the day which didn't help as I suddenly got really bad cramp going up the wee steep bit in Glenfarg - 15 mins stretching helped a bit but had to spin as much as possible - again cramp hit me going up the steep bit at Path O' Condie and by Dunning I was uncontrollably shaking and feeling really sick. Don't know what caused it as I was reasonably well dressed up to that point and felt great until Glenfarg. When I started again at Dunning for some reason my bike was making bad noises from the bottom bracket - possibly damaged having been forced to ride through a bad pothole on the run down to Milnathort when caused a loud cracking sound. Still I kept on going and got round, getting a real soaking on the second half of the route. Still glad I did it but no I didn't enjoy it. Did think it was well organised but would have prefered a bit better variety at the feedstops - home baking is great but sugar doughnuts and cheap oat and raison bars weren't great for the nurishment and the water kept running out at Dunning. I actually went into the pub and had some soup to warm me up and try to help my cramp by massaging my legs. If I hadn't I couldn't see me completing the second half as I was no longer feeling sick and had warmed up a lot.

So a lot of my issues were not to do with the actual event but the further I rode the worse the weather got, I was still determined to complete the route and glad that I did. One a better day it would be a great event just a bit better feed stops pls. I'm sure lessons will be learned and for a first event it was very well done.

I have to say I really enjoyed today. I agree the weather did get pretty poor for the second half of the ride, but I was concentrating so much on trying to get up the hills....yes there were a few... that I didn't really notice it too much.

The hills (black route) were certainly very varied, some with steep sections, some long and continuous etc. I especially liked the section which had a 1:6 drop followed immediately by a 1:6 climb! :ohmy:

I certainly enjoyed the food on offer, and as has been mentioned that oatmeal tablet was nice!

I suppose my experience is coloured by the fact that I really surprised myself with my time. I managed the Black Route in 5 hours 23 mins (rolling time)! :biggrin: (16 mph average)

Mind you I'm feeling knackered now! Good day, and I intend to be back next year.

(P.S. I'll write up a full review on my blog. :biggrin:)

aberal

Guru
Well I enjoyed that all in all, but bloody hell, that was WET!!! The red route was very lovely, quite hard and the truth of the matter is, the Gods were laughing at us. It seemed to rain at the worst possible time for those who organised this - and that was all out of their control. What was in their control was the organisation, the routes themselves and the feedstops and end events, and in truth, they cannot be faulted. Hats off - the boys done good...
thumbsup.png
I'll be back next year and will recommend it definitely. Sorry that I didn't catch up with anybody here - rode the whole ride on my own more or less, but none the worse for that. 79 miles! I've been cycling as an adult since I was 27 and that was the longest I have EVER cycled. Great...

Oh, forgot to add, great to meet some of you guys today! I'll try and get out on a few CC rides this year....promise!

Smout

Ooo how good was that! But sheesh it was hard work
ohmy.gif
An the weather could have been just a little better eh (but in a strange way I liked it too).

V happy to have completed my 1st ever sportive and my longest ride by quite a long way
biggrin.gif
I'd only ever cycled 32 miles in one go before an that was back in late February (when it was just the worst weather ever - no doubt edindave report on that journey - good as my training for today afterall tho). Also did an October 30 miler over the Forth Bridge (which at the time was a hill for me) and back! Especially pleased as I had been worried the marathon I completed 2 weeks ago may bite my butt later in the ride - it tried mind you
wacko.gif

Thanks to edindave for keeping me going when I thought it might break me afterall somewhere on the climb after 50 miles !

Also thanks to the organisers and marshals and tray bakers (nom nom especially that first stop with the tablet - i'd been counting down the miles to 29
whistling.gif
- fitted really well round our own 'nutrition' plan - fabulous baker brother thingos and for me nuun tablets with a refill of water at the first stop)

Mibbe next year I'll be ready to upgrade to the black
ohmy.gif
Need to learn to go downhill tho eek! An prolly upgraded to a road bike by then *scurries of to hide before edindave reads that bit*

Attachments

• ohmy.gif
    ohmy.gif
    261 bytes · Views: 54

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ooo how good was that! But sheesh it was hard work
ohmy.gif
An the weather could have been just a little better eh (but in a strange way I liked it too).

V happy to have completed my 1st ever sportive and my longest ride by quite a long way
biggrin.gif
I'd only ever cycled 32 miles in one go before an that was back in late February (when it was just the worst weather ever - no doubt edindave report on that journey - good as my training for today afterall tho). Also did an October 30 miler over the Forth Bridge (which at the time was a hill for me) and back! Especially pleased as I had been worried the marathon I completed 2 weeks ago may bite my butt later in the ride - it tried mind you
wacko.gif

Mibbe next year I'll be ready to upgrade to the black
ohmy.gif
Need to learn to go downhill tho eek! An prolly upgraded to a road bike by then *scurries of to hide before edindave reads that bit*

wave.gif
Smout and
wave.gif
to CycleChat - though I suspect you have been 'lurking with intent'
whistling.gif

bravo.gif
on completing your first sportive
thebiggrin.gif
and your longest ride
Laie_76A.gif
. Glad you "enjoyed" it
icon_wink.gif

I suspect edindave may have ideas along those lines too .....
thumbsup.png

Attachments

• ohmy.gif
    ohmy.gif
    261 bytes · Views: 43
  • wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom