Kirriemuir Audaxes: 100k & 300k, Sat 5 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
eck

eck

Über Member
HLaB said:
Oh 30kph average, I thought he meant 30mph max. With navigating that's good going.
Noooo... not 30kph average.
I should have been clearer when I said "30kph average max": what I should have said is that 30kph is the usual maximum average speed over the ride. Sometimes organisers lower the max to 25kph.
You don't HAVE to maintain an average 30kph. ;)

Think about it: 30kph for a 600k is 20 hours. really good going for a 600k is 30 hours, 35 more common.

eck said:
Noooo... not 30kph average.
I should have been clearer when I said "30kph average max": what I should have said is that 30kph is the usual maximum average speed over the ride. Sometimes organisers lower the max to 25kph.
You don't HAVE to maintain an average 30kph. :sad:

Think about it: 30kph for a 600k is 20 hours. really good going for a 600k is 30 hours, 35 more common.
Sorry thats :biggrin: what I meant, an upper limit 30kph max (for the uber fit :biggrin:)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
eck said:
:smile: Noodley, you've been at the Magic Beans, or is it the Buckie, again.

HLaB: dinnae run away just yet: the average max is usually 30 Kph, not Mph. Minimum average usually about 15, or can be lower depending, as Noodley says, on length of route, and hilliness too.

Having ridden with HLaB (or at least tried to keep up) I can assure you that the idea of a 30mph average wouldn't scare him, he is usually aiming for that anyway... :tongue:

Noodley

Okay, in all seriousness if anyone is toying with the idea of riding the Snow Roads but thinks it's a bit much for them or they might not know what to do I am volunteering to be navigator/bloke you leave for dust...

It's a fantastic route, and the climbs are well spaced out to allow you to recover (well, just about :smile:)

I am so gonna regret this....:biggrin::laugh::biggrin:

And at the end you'll get a great sense of achievement....and a pie and a beer :tongue:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
STOP IT, Noodley, STOP IT - right now ! :biggrin:

I've managed to convince myself that a 300 is a bit (OK, about 100) too far for this year, then you come along and almost convince me to try it. The Snow Roads is a Classic and I want to do it sometime ....

I'll wait a bit and see how I progress ....

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
scoosh said:
STOP IT, Noodley, STOP IT - right now ! :biggrin:

I've managed to convince myself that a 300 is a bit (OK, about 100) too far for this year, then you come along and almost convince me to try it. The Snow Roads is a Classic and I want to do it sometime ....

I'll wait a bit and see how I progress ....

[whisper] pssst Noodley, he is biting ... :laugh:

T

Noodley said:
Okay, in all seriousness if anyone is toying with the idea of riding the Snow Roads but thinks it's a bit much for them or they might not know what to do I am volunteering to be navigator/bloke you leave for dust...

It's a fantastic route, and the climbs are well spaced out to allow you to recover (well, just about :biggrin:)

I am so gonna regret this....:smile::laugh::ohmy:

And at the end you'll get a great sense of achievement....and a pie and a beer :laugh:
I can't say for certain, I'm a wee bit pissed just now :biggrin: but I may take you up on your kind offer :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Noodley said:
Okay, I'll start doing some miles then just in case :girl:
Ya beast :tired:

<note to self: AVOID this thread ....

... till mid May :rofl:>

mercurykev

Scoosh, 2 years ago I was in a very similar situation to yourself and I met a couple of guys from Angus called Noodley and Eck. That year, during my first 200, they persuaded me that the Snow Roads was an entirely achievable first 300. Well I entered, Noodley let me kip on his floor, and I turned up in Kirriemuir at 5:30 where there was a load of dodgy looking guys dressed in lycra munching bananas. I didn't turn and run and Noodley was kind enough to accompany me around a good chunk of the route. To cut a long story short, I made it round with a good few hours to spare and had a great time. This made me realise that a lot of audax is in your head - if you can do a 200, you can probably to a 300 and if you can do a 300 a 400 won't be outwith your grasp etc - anyway, that season I went on and did a 400 and 600, so I managed to get an SR. All thanks to those lycra clad men from Angus.

What I'm trying to say is just go for it. I like the route so much that this year I'm going to do it twice as a 600. You gotta love those hills :wacko:

themightyw

Reckon I'm definitely up for the potter for tea, though might switch to the snow road if I'm feeling particularly bold... Have never cycled more than 100k to date though, but am doing London to Paris in 3 days 2 weeks after these events, so it might be a great wee leg buster just in advance :smile:

ACS

Legendary Member
themightyw said:
Reckon I'm definitely up for the potter for tea, though might switch to the snow road if I'm feeling particularly bold... Have never cycled more than 100k to date though, but am doing London to Paris in 3 days 2 weeks after these events, so it might be a great wee leg buster just in advance :smile:

Chris I'm intending to do the P4T 'cause I'm cr@p at going up hill and 300km would be a pedal turn to far. However, I would encourage you to take a punt at the Snow Roads. Completion would be a great confidence boost for your L2P jaunt.

Go on you know you want too :biggrin:

themightyw

Crap on hills - is that why you ignore me waving like a lunatic at you every morning as you charge up from Cupar?

Damn you all - I'm seriously considering this now :biggrin:

Top Bottom