KMC Chains. How Are They Packaged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
@Lovacott, I’ve got temporary crowns at the moment over my four lateral teeth while I await Emaxx crowns. It’s partly cosmetic and partly for dental corrections from a previous trauma as a teenager. I am on soft food and tepid liquids so these are great for me. I understand children abusing them though as they are up all night doing minecrafting stuff!
[label] NSFW [\label]
An "Up and Go" is basically a single Weetabix mashed with some milk.

In the 1970's, the milk came from a local dairy in a glass bottle which was re-used by the same dairy the next day.

The Weetabix was in a paper sleeve in a cardboard box.

Today, we buy a single mashed up Weetabix in a plastic bottle which will end up floating down a river in the Philippines.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You'd think so, but my commute is over some pretty rough roads with a fair bit of slurry on the surface.

I do a chain check every week and I get down to about 0.50% wear after about 500 miles.

Seeing as how chains are a lot cheaper than chainrings and freewheels, I err on the side of caution and do a chain swap.

It's a five minute job and it's really no bother.

Even my mtn bike chain which saw much worse conditions lasted between 2-3 times that mileage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What's your set up and what terrain are you covering?
10 speed all weathers road commuting through the mean, potholled streets of London. I keep my gear religiously clean and lubed otherwise road grime, salt and grit will eat it far quicker.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Even my mtn bike chain which saw much worse conditions lasted between 2-3 times that mileage.
I've covered this before. A fair chunk of my ride is on gravel farm roads covered in cow dung so my drivetrain gets pretty filthy.

It's also a very hilly route (Devon) so the stresses on the chain are greater than they would be on a flat commute.

I clean the bike every week and apply fresh lube and also use my chain checker.

I could clean and lube the chain daily which would probably help, but seeing as how a new chain is only £13 and takes less than five minutes to fit, I prefer to fit a new chain.

Doing this also helps to prolong the lifespan of the cassette and chainrings.

I've had chains last me for years when I was commuting in London on a road bike.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
That's absolute rubbish - sorry. It's your grubby roads and only cleaning the drive chain once a week that's causing it.
Can you tell me where I said that my chain wear was caused exclusively by riding a hilly route?

As for the grubby roads, I'm well aware that they are the main cause of the issue but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather spend five minutes and £13 every six hundred miles changing the chain than spend 20 minutes every evening cleaning it and re-applying lube.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you tell me where I said that my chain wear was caused exclusively by riding a hilly route?

As for the grubby roads, I'm well aware that they are the main cause of the issue but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather spend five minutes and £13 every six hundred miles changing the chain than spend 20 minutes every evening cleaning it and re-applying lube.

Then add in cost of cassettes and chain rings by not doing it often enough. Wet or dirty rides, every ride. Just saying.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Then add in cost of cassettes and chain rings by not doing it often enough. Wet or dirty rides, every ride. Just saying.
I've found that by keeping the chain below 0.5% wear, the chainrings and cassette don't wear too much.

I'd rather spend £200 per year on drivetrain parts than the same amount on cleaning solutions and lubricants along with the 20 minutes or so after every ride actually cleaning the thing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've found that by keeping the chain below 0.5% wear, the chainrings and cassette don't wear too much.

I'd rather spend £200 per year on drivetrain parts than the same amount on cleaning solutions and lubricants along with the 20 minutes or so after every ride actually cleaning the thing.

20 mins cleaning after every ride is a bit excessive

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just bought one from Spa Cycles. It came in a ziplock bag. Yes it's stamped KMC and advertised as such by Spa Cycles.
1627727577475.png

Top Bottom