Knee pain and cleat position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So you don't think cleats are worth it, compared to a 'good set of flats', but a good set of flats are "more secure than cheap moulded plastic ones". Surely these are data points on a spectrum of [foot/pedal) security?
Of there's a spectrum of how secure the foot is with the pedal. Cleats are certainly worth it if your cycling is in a manner in which they will benefit

The OP made no mention of using clipless because they allowed him/her to transfer more power to the drive train. More likely he/she valued the security they offer.
The OP made no mention of why they are using clipless at all. I also did not make any assumption as to this. Which is why I started by asking do you need to use the cleats? Removing the thing that causes pain is a valid solution, and it's hardly worth the effort if you're just doing a steady cycle around the tow path out with your kids. Which again, is why I started the post with "Do you need to use the cleats?"

Cleats offer a more secure connection between the shoes and the pedals. Many riders value this benefit: they are, contrary to your claim (above), 'gaining something'. Others prefer the freedom to step away from the pedals without having to twist their lower leg and are prepared to put up with the occasional shin abrasions and slip/lurch/maybe fall when their foot slips off a pedal (normally when force is being applied to said pedal.
Certainly, and my post even said this. From experience you get very few foot slips on a decent flat while pedalling seated, or stood up on a hill. Different conditions increase the risk of your foot slipping, and in those scenarios it's far better to be clipped in. Standing, sprinting in the rain is a nice extreme. Or doing 35mph down a hill I would certainly prefer to be clipped in.

But when the risk of serious injury is low, or the risk of the foot slipping is low. Then there's little need to persevere with something that is causing pain and discomfort.

I never made any assumptions as to the OP's usage at all, and asked a question. This was jumped on, and I elaborated in post #17 as to what I meant.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/knee-pain-and-cleat-position.207365/post-4472919

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Which is why I started by asking do you need to use the cleats? Removing the thing that causes pain is a valid solution, and it's hardly worth the effort if you're just doing a steady cycle around the tow path out with your kids. Which again, is why I started the post with "Do you need to use the cleats?"

Certainly, and my post even said this. From experience you get very few foot slips on a decent flat while pedalling seated, or stood up on a hill.

But when the risk of serious injury is low, or the risk of the foot slipping is low. Then there's little need to persevere with something that is causing pain and discomfort.
Why I don't go clipless. And have tried twice.
Also enjoy making little micro adjustments and sometimes bouncing a little on the pedals.
Clipped in is not the pedaling nirvana roadies seem to think it is.
Also, no shouts of 'TIMBER' as you forget to unclip..ever.

Reactions: mjr

Ajax Bay

Guru
Clipped in is not the pedaling nirvana roadies seem to think it is.
May I ask whether you think combined brakes/shifters bring 'roadies' closer to nirvana? Or have you not tried them yet? Let's face it, down tube shifters worked fine for decades, and still do, without all the 'prone to failure' STIs/Ergos and the complexity of indexing. (Slight danger of going OT.)

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Just to add I commute 4 days a week and ride at the weekends when I can. I like the security of being clipped in especially climbing and when I want to accelerate quickly

SuperHans123

May I ask whether you think combined brakes/shifters bring 'roadies' closer to nirvana? Or have you not tried them yet? Let's face it, down tube shifters worked fine for decades, and still do, without all the 'prone to failure' STIs/Ergos and the complexity of indexing. (Slight danger of going OT.)
When i am pedalling and want to stop i pull the brake lever and i stop fine. Same with gear changing.
Am i missing the point?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That works fine unless your natural position would leave your heels banging the chainstays each stroke. bb
Then you need a wider BB or cranks with a wider tread, more than clips to twist your legs.

Others prefer the freedom to step away from the pedals without having to twist their lower leg and are prepared to put up with the occasional shin abrasions and slip/lurch/maybe fall when their foot slips off a pedal (normally when force is being applied to said pedal.
If your foot slips off the pedal, at best the grip has worn out and at worst, it's a crap pedal which should be changed before you hurt yourself. If it also abrades your shin, then it's probably one of those ones with teeth that masochists use. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
The discomfort you describe is like that I get when the saddle is too low. As earlier posts

If you have £100+ available, a bike fit would be wise especially if doing big miles like you are? They are not all created equal so get advice/recommendations

My preference would be for a trained Physio doing the fitting not a retul type lbs fit. Manchester velodrome offers such a service I believe

jarlrmai

Veteran
The discomfort you describe is like that I get when the saddle is too low. As earlier posts

If you have £100+ available, a bike fit would be wise especially if doing big miles like you are? They are not all created equal so get advice/recommendations

My preference would be for a trained Physio doing the fitting not a retul type lbs fit. Manchester velodrome offers such a service I believe

Pedal Precision at the MCR Velodrome is who I saw

http://pedalprecision.com/about_us/

Richard has sports rehab and bike fit training.

SuperHans123

I am 'Blobbo foot' on the pedals as well, so cleats do not work for me for another reason that they 'force' the foot back because of the position.
I don't care about optimum power position etc, I know my feet are comfiest in blobbo 'middle of foot position' on the pedal.

Top Bottom