Knee pain and cleat position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've discovered that my left cleat needs to be set very precisely so that the knee isn't working under any twisting pressure. If the foot is pressing, even gently, against the inner limit of movement I get knee pain. It has to be floating freely.

Rub Ibuprofen gel into the knee, you'll be amazed at how well it works.

The years when you are building muscle strength are the years when you are most at risk of joint injury as the joints catch up with the growth in muscle strength.

Cleats and straps are there to secure your feet to the pedals.

The performance gains in terms of efficiency or power production are near non-existent if there at all.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks all for the excellent responses I will get to work on it and sort it. Have repositioned cleats following dangle test and I am checking seat position & height again.

A good way to look at cleat angle is to ride a bike without cleats and see what angle your feet naturally go to when they're not secured.

That should be the angle you're looking at if you want to keep joints moving and twisting how they do naturally.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@PhilDawson8270 - of course it's right to ask the question 'do you need them'. The OP has made no reference to why he uses cleats.
But you have introduced the assertion that you don't gain anything by being clipped in (unless 'stand up sprinting').It's not 'all about the power' you know.
Unless you're doing a significant amount of stand up sprinting you're not really gaining anything over a good set of flats.
The performance gains in terms of efficiency or power production are near non-existent if there at all.
And then you ask someone else (who implies a contrary view) to say what evidence they have that 'proves' that performance gains exist.
can you show anything that proves it,
I suggest you should first substantiate your claim and then invite evidence to the contrary, not the other way round.
What is a 'good set of flats btw'? And what evidence do you have that a 'good set of flats' gives a performance gain over a bog-standard set. Do the shoes used and the shoes pedal interface not matter?

Last edited:
@PhilDawson8270 - of course it's right to ask the question 'do you need them'. The OP has made no reference to why he uses cleats.
But you have introduced the assertion that you don't gain anything by being clipped in (unless 'stand up sprinting').It's not 'all about the power' you know.

And then you ask someone else (who implies a contrary view) to say what evidence they have that 'proves' that performance gains exist.

I suggest you should first substantiate your claim and then invite evidence to the contrary, not the other way round.
What is a 'good set of flats btw'? And what evidence do you have that a 'good set of flats' gives a performance gain over a bog-standard set. Do the shoes used and the shoes pedal interface not matter?

I say a good set of flats as they're generally more secure than cheap moulded plastic ones that come with the bike.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNedIJBZpgM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgHaMHeKyM

1 test shows clipless more efficient, one showing flats as more efficient. Both tests are extremely close suggesting that the difference between them is negligible.

Note that my original claim was NOT that there was NO performance benefit, but that IF there is one, that it is negligible. Several academic articles also show the differences are between the two in terms of pedalling efficiency also show very tiny differences.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Treadmills do not bump up and down. Roads do.
a good set of flats [is better] as they're generally more secure than cheap moulded plastic ones
What do you mean by 'more secure'? Surely provided you screw them into the cranks properly they'd be equally secure. But is there any difference in performance (ie delivering power to the drive train)?

Treadmills do not bump up and down. Roads do.

What do you mean by 'more secure'? Surely provided you screw them into the cranks properly they'd be equally secure. But is there any difference in performance (ie delivering power to the drive train)?

I mean the security of the feet on the pedals.

Top Bottom