Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do yeah, slightly

Maybe i could do with a little more bend.
Is that done bu lowering the bars or tilting the hoods up more?

Tbh im more concerned about the knee pain as its definitely either a fit problem or a technique problem
Shortening the reach (?)

Knee...photo in the gear you ride in, heel on pedal at bottom of pedal stroke, knee should be slightly bent, if straight too high (and your hips would rock as you pedal)

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Them stills are from the film, trainers in the loft now.
Going on holiday in the morning so will have to wait for now.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No, saddle isn't too high, looks about right, look at leg extension.
Look at his hips rocking like mick jagger in the 70s....no way is that right. That’s why his knees are hurting, over extension and causing the hips to rock

Kajjal

Guru
Look at his hips rocking like mick jagger in the 70s....no way is that right. That’s why his knees are hurting, over extension and causing the hips to rock

To add to this the feet are pointing down which is often a sign of a saddle that is too high. The basic idea is when peddling you feel like you are in the bike not perched on top like a penny farthing.

A quick test is with your feet flat and the pedal down in line with the seat tube can you lift yourself vertically off the saddle in line with the seat tube. If you can’t it is very likely your saddle is too high which causes various strains and aches depending on how your body reacts.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
A quick test is with your feet flat and the pedal down in line with the seat tube can you lift yourself vertically off the saddle in line with the seat tube.

Im not really sure i understand this?
So pedal at 6 oclock? Heal on pedal?
Then see if i have room between me and the seat?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Do you always ride in joggers or padded shorts? The latter put you higher, you need to replicate how you ride /were actually fitted to the bike (Shoes make a difference too)

I ride in padded shorts, i did think i should set up bike with them on

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I did yeah

Just not when i play with it at home

Ive always thought its slightly too big for me anyway so might just sell it

vickster

Legendary Member
I did yeah

Just not when i play with it at home

Ive always thought its slightly too big for me anyway so might just sell it
What did the fitter say about the size? Try a shorter stem if stretched and lower the saddle to alleviate knee pain

That 2nd still you posted definitely looks wrong. You're not quite at the bottom of your pedal stroke but already your leg looks over extended. This explains why you're cycling heel up in the video.

I'm with Jowwy now in thinking your hips are rocking too much but ultimately if you've got back of the knee pain, there's really no question that the saddle is too high.

In general, that bike is huge, you've got no bend in your elbows either. Just watch a few videos on GCN and look how they look on their bikes. That one I posted shows all the pros pedalling with a much flatter foot and more a bend in their leg than you have.

I kinda thought if you'd had a bike fit, then it must be vaguely right but in fact, it's shockingly wrong.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Probably too late but perhaps you could go back to wherever you got your bike fit done and explain the problem. It seems like whoever did it got it badly wrong. I've never had one but I hear they can be quite expensive. Did you get it bundled in with the bike purchase?

Top Bottom