Knee strain - worth using some kind of support?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
One of my cleats came loose the other week, so I tightened it up, though not quite in the right position. Subsequently I rode on it anyway, and put a little too much effort in on a hill, in what was really too high-a gear, and my knee has felt "odd" since. I say odd, because it doesn't really hurt. I'm just more aware of it.

I've re-positioned my cleat since, and had four days off the bike last friday to this monday, but back out on it today and yesterday, the "awareness" of my knee is still there.

I don't know if I've damaged it, or whether being concerned about it is making me think there's something up with it.

Either way, I'm keen to avoid doing anything else to it, so while it doesn't feel quite right, is it worth using some kind of support, such as those that runners tend to wear? I have no idea whether or not these are any use for cycling or are even designed to offer any protection for the kind of motion involved in cycling.

A quick search of the forums hasn't brought up any previous threads, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be keen to hear them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are your knees generally covered? Don't know about a support, but it would definitely be worth making sure your knees are not too cold.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Are your knees generally covered? Don't know about a support, but it would definitely be worth making sure your knees are not too cold.
I'm still in winter gear at the moment, so yes. That said, one day last week I had shorts on, though it wasn't so cold that day.

e-rider

crappy member
wearing shorts in cold weather is a good way to store up big problems for the future anyway. So even if it has nothing to do with your current problem, don't do it, as it will be the cause of knee problems later in life!

Rest it for a couple of days. Then if its really cold use knee warmers and longs, in other words two layers. I have intermittent knee pain in my left knee after being swiped by a car and needed an arthcrospy to clear out my knee, since then despite a professional bike fit I still get a bit of discomfort on longer rides but keeping the double, or even treble, layers on really helps. I use bib knick's, knee warmers and bib longs when it's really cold (now!).

Lee_M

Guru
knee supports generally fall into two categories

cheap bits of elastic that dont do anything

expensive ones with steel in them to support the joint.

generally on your bike you motion should be in a single plane of up down without any side to side or figure 8 movement, and in those situations a brace won't do anything at all to help.

if your knee is unstable and wobbles all over the place it might help, but I personally (I have a well dodgy knee) would find the knee brace why too intrusive

maybe just rest your knee for a while?

I also find heat on mine helps during the evening in front of the TV

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Thanks for your comments.

Incidentally, I moved house a while ago and lost my "proper" winter tights which were thick and very warm. As a result I'm currently using my backup winter solution, which is a pair of runners tights, with mountain bike shorts over the top, since I'm far too tight to buy another pair of winter bottoms when they might turn up in a box of kitchen or garden stuff, which seems likely!

Unfortunately the runners tights aren't nearly as thick though, so maybe warmth IS part of the problem here then.

generally your body will tell you if it needs support for what you are doing. If you try a support and find it uncomfortable it is your bodies way of saying it does not need it, but you will only find out by trying.
I needed a wrist support for 15-17 years (long term wrist damage) and in the last 12 months had to start using one of my left leg after a pack of dogs redesigned it. Periodically my leg is more comfortable with the support back on.

Many physios over the years have all said the same thing - if it helps when exercising wear it; if it does not, take it off.
All you can do is try some form of support and see how it feels and the best advise that can be given is if it hurts - stop and speak with your GP.

Top Bottom