1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knocked off by a car

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Abitrary, 4 Dec 2007.

1. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Driver waiting to turn right at a junction, looked him in the eye, had lights and reflective gear on.

He drove straight in to me, knocked the bike over but I jumped off. He was either drunk or had no insurance or something. But he knew what he was doing.

Bike: Bent mudguard
    Me: Fine
    Belief in mankind: Damaged. I'm positive he would have left me for dead. He did a wheel spin

What should I do with Mr R2** G*U.

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Ouch, I'm glad you're OK! I would report him to the police and ask them to have a chat with him for leaving the scene. I would also be tempted to claim for the mudguard.

3. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

POLICE

then take yourself to the docs and get checked over.

Ask if there is any CCTV coverage of the road, if yes, cruise around online a bit and find out how to DEMAND to see cctv coverage using the DPA, because chances are the police will do nothing but file your complaint in the bin.

4. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

I had a sympathetic witness (cycling along the pavement on the other side).

I should have had the guts to get his number, but:

- I was shocked that someone would do that
    - I was too busy trying to remember and consolidate his registration

Honestly, I feel shocked like I've been mugged or something. I don't know if I gave him a bad look or something, but he really tried to run me over???

5. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Can only echo what the other posters have said - report it, press for the law to do him for leaving the scene of an accident at the very least.

6. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Has anyone else reported this sort of thing?

I feel worried purely because with hindsight he felt like a nutjob and would hunt me down... well... you know what I mean

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I reported the bus driver that nearly flattened me (ridiculously close overtake) to the bus company and spent a week or so imagining that he'd be lying in wait for me on my commute.

It's not happened yet, although he could be lulling me into a false sense of security...

A while back, in an earlier enthusiasm for cycling, I got clipped by a closely overtaking car (trying to pass me by a traffic island). I fell so that me and the bike were on the pavement - I was only winded, but even so, that car, and 3 or 4 behind it went on their way without stopping to check on me. That had a similar effect, and I didn't cycle for a good while afterwards.

8. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Report it, if he did a runner, with witnesses, he's probably got a lot more to worry about than making things even worse.

you in CTC?

9. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

No, not in CTC, and didn't get any details off the witness, and regretted it 2 minutes after.

I remembered his reg, the make of the car etc, but I still feel a bit scared about reporting it... if only because the guy didn't give a shoot and I'm scared about getting involved with someone like that.

I know that he could possibly do it to someone else though which is my main worry. Someone else told me you don't have to report it straight away, and i guess I'm still biding my time

10. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

That's depressing.

Did you really not cycle afterwards for a while?

I just ask because I feel a bit more invigorated reading about this stuff

11. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Did you see my post on my recent attack by chavs in a saxo? One of them leant out of the window and slapped my back. I was lucky, but it shook me right up.

Did I report - you're damn right I did.

Am I scared they will come back looking for reprisal, not this time - but a previous attack of the same kind did indeed leave me scared of future attack. I bet the driver didn't register any more than "cyclist" in his vegetable like brain.

Not cycling lets those zarks win.

12. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

That would really aggravate me, and I would definitely report that

Ok, to tell the truth, I'm not bothered too much about the aggro involved. I've been driving long enough to realise that a lot of cases like that are down to people honestly intent on getting somewhere quickly.

But, he knew *exactly* what he was doing, drugs / drink or otherwise, and that's what makes me think that it may be worth warning a menace like that, and if he's got no insurance / license then so be it

13. No you hunt him down. He was sloshed by the sound of it. His eyes saw you but his brain was several yards and several seconds behind. Next time he drives pissed it could be the death of someone. Twunts like him don't deserve to be let off the hook.

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

honestly and carelessly intent on getting somewhere quickly.

15. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

That's more like it!

Glad you're ok, report him. If you see him again, kill him.