knocked off by a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Driver waiting to turn right at a junction, looked him in the eye, had lights and reflective gear on.

He drove straight in to me, knocked the bike over but I jumped off. He was either drunk or had no insurance or something. But he knew what he was doing.

Bike: Bent mudguard
Me: Fine
Belief in mankind: Damaged. I'm positive he would have left me for dead. He did a wheel spin

What should I do with Mr R2** G*U.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ouch, I'm glad you're OK! I would report him to the police and ask them to have a chat with him for leaving the scene. I would also be tempted to claim for the mudguard.

POLICE

then take yourself to the docs and get checked over.

Ask if there is any CCTV coverage of the road, if yes, cruise around online a bit and find out how to DEMAND to see cctv coverage using the DPA, because chances are the police will do nothing but file your complaint in the bin.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

I had a sympathetic witness (cycling along the pavement on the other side).

I should have had the guts to get his number, but:

- I was shocked that someone would do that
- I was too busy trying to remember and consolidate his registration

Honestly, I feel shocked like I've been mugged or something. I don't know if I gave him a bad look or something, but he really tried to run me over???

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Can only echo what the other posters have said - report it, press for the law to do him for leaving the scene of an accident at the very least.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Has anyone else reported this sort of thing?

I feel worried purely because with hindsight he felt like a nutjob and would hunt me down... well... you know what I mean

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I reported the bus driver that nearly flattened me (ridiculously close overtake) to the bus company and spent a week or so imagining that he'd be lying in wait for me on my commute.

It's not happened yet, although he could be lulling me into a false sense of security...

Arbitrary said:
Belief in mankind: Damaged. I'm positive he would have left me for dead. He did a wheel spin

A while back, in an earlier enthusiasm for cycling, I got clipped by a closely overtaking car (trying to pass me by a traffic island). I fell so that me and the bike were on the pavement - I was only winded, but even so, that car, and 3 or 4 behind it went on their way without stopping to check on me. That had a similar effect, and I didn't cycle for a good while afterwards.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Abitrary said:
Has anyone else reported this sort of thing?

I feel worried purely because with hindsight he felt like a nutjob and would hunt me down... well... you know what I mean

Report it, if he did a runner, with witnesses, he's probably got a lot more to worry about than making things even worse.

you in CTC?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

gambatte said:
Report it, if he did a runner, with witnesses, he's probably got a lot more to worry about than making things even worse.

you in CTC?

No, not in CTC, and didn't get any details off the witness, and regretted it 2 minutes after.

I remembered his reg, the make of the car etc, but I still feel a bit scared about reporting it... if only because the guy didn't give a shoot and I'm scared about getting involved with someone like that.

I know that he could possibly do it to someone else though which is my main worry. Someone else told me you don't have to report it straight away, and i guess I'm still biding my time

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

John the Monkey said:
A while back, in an earlier enthusiasm for cycling, I got clipped by a closely overtaking car (trying to pass me by a traffic island). I fell so that me and the bike were on the pavement - I was only winded, but even so, that car, and 3 or 4 behind it went on their way without stopping to check on me. That had a similar effect, and I didn't cycle for a good while afterwards.

That's depressing.

Did you really not cycle afterwards for a while?

I just ask because I feel a bit more invigorated reading about this stuff

Did you see my post on my recent attack by chavs in a saxo? One of them leant out of the window and slapped my back. I was lucky, but it shook me right up.

Did I report - you're damn right I did.

Am I scared they will come back looking for reprisal, not this time - but a previous attack of the same kind did indeed leave me scared of future attack. I bet the driver didn't register any more than "cyclist" in his vegetable like brain.

Not cycling lets those zarks win.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Did you see my post on my recent attack by chavs in a saxo? One of them leant out of the window and slapped my back. I was lucky, but it shook me right up.

That would really aggravate me, and I would definitely report that

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Did I report - you're damn right I did.

Am I scared they will come back looking for reprisal, not this time - but a previous attack of the same kind did indeed leave me scared of future attack. I bet the driver didn't register any more than "cyclist" in his vegetable like brain.

Not cycling lets those zarks win.

Ok, to tell the truth, I'm not bothered too much about the aggro involved. I've been driving long enough to realise that a lot of cases like that are down to people honestly intent on getting somewhere quickly.

But, he knew *exactly* what he was doing, drugs / drink or otherwise, and that's what makes me think that it may be worth warning a menace like that, and if he's got no insurance / license then so be it

No you hunt him down. He was sloshed by the sound of it. His eyes saw you but his brain was several yards and several seconds behind. Next time he drives pissed it could be the death of someone. Twunts like him don't deserve to be let off the hook.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
I've been driving long enough to realise that a lot of cases like that are down to people honestly intent on getting somewhere quickly.

honestly and carelessly intent on getting somewhere quickly.

papercorn2000

mickle said:
No you hunt him down. He was sloshed by the sound of it. His eyes saw you but his brain was several yards and several seconds behind. Next time he drives pissed it could be the death of someone. Twunts like him don't deserve to be let off the hook.

That's more like it!

Glad you're ok, report him. If you see him again, kill him.

Top Bottom