Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"keep your baby's bum off the haddocks"?
:blink:

Cow Pie

Only head this one once but I quickly became a favourite. Was sat talking with my Warrant Officer one day and he spotted a young boss eyed lad walking across the bar towards us. My WO turned to me and said "Poor lad. He's got eyes like a "racing dogs bollocks". WO was Scottish but every porridge pusher I have ever asked has never heard of that saying.
Lots of military ones but my favourite one that appeared in the 80's was BOBFOC to describe someone of the female persuasion in a slightly positive then negative way.
BOBFOC - Body Off Baywatch Face Off Crimewatch.

colly

Re member eR
I'm not sure where these quaint expressions come from. Someone suggested they might be from Eton or Harrow, but who can tell?

Oi !
Yer wot
Yew avin a larff ?
Aincher
Innit.

subaqua

What’s the point
Only head this one once but I quickly became a favourite. Was sat talking with my Warrant Officer one day and he spotted a young boss eyed lad walking across the bar towards us. My WO turned to me and said "Poor lad. He's got eyes like a "racing dogs bollocks". WO was Scottish but every porridge pusher I have ever asked has never heard of that saying.
Lots of military ones but my favourite one that appeared in the 80's was BOBFOC to describe someone of the female persuasion in a slightly positive then negative way.
BOBFOC - Body Off Baywatch Face Off Crimewatch.

LRF is another - Low resolution Fox. A female who looks very good in the dark of a nightclub at distance but once closer is a BOBFOC.

also reminds me of " he's got a gozzy eye " meaning one eye points one way and one the other.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My 4 year-old is always teasing me with "Ha det på badet, din gamle sjokolade!".
Directly translated means "Have it in the bath, you old chocolate!".

Not sure if this contributes anything to the thread.

lolz

gbb

Legendary Member
I often use terms I've actually no idea where they came from, but having a Northumbrian mum, a West Country dad and having spent most of my younger life moving round while dad was in the forces, you pick up all sorts...
Its skelting it down...its raining heavily.
I'm bloomin fruzz...im cold
Lairy...mental, wild.

Rafferty

GBH of the lug 'oles. - A bo******ing from the missus.
Can't tell hay from a bull's foot - Hasn't got a clue.
Y'all right boy? - Do you need a hand?
I'll be there dreckly - I'll be there when it is convenient.

Top Bottom