Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Boggle-a ghost or spirit
Boggart-a mythical beast,part badger,part fox,native to the wild wastes" back o" Skidder"
Carlisle United-allegedly a football team,native to the ancient realm of Brunton Park,not known in modern times.
Boggarts Grave/Hell Hole at Ogden Water!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
" Up one's alley" indicates expertise or knowledge of a subject.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3533438, member: 259"]It's a jitty or a twitchel in the East Midlands.[/QUOTE]

Ginnel in Preston, or more precisely a ginnel is the passage way (often bridged by the upper floors) through terraces of houses linking the street to the back passage

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Stupid: "He doesn't know his arse from his elbow".

not "authentic" but I liked a variation on that - "he doesn't know his arse from his breakfast"

Also like the sorry I havn't a clue variant " a fool and his money are welcome in Aberdeen".

But back on topic I like the Scottish-English word "outwith" which has no complete equivalent in English-English

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
not "authentic" but I liked a variation on that - "he doesn't know his arse from his breakfast"

Also like the sorry I havn't a clue variant " a fool and his money are welcome in Aberdeen".

But back on topic I like the Scottish-English word "outwith" which has no complete equivalent in English-English
'Outwith' is a great example. Apparently yer Scotch don't use 'shall' very much, either.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Chuckin cobs - Throwing stones.
Spice - Sweets, especially boiled sweets.
Put wood in't oyl - close the door.
It's a bit parky - bloody freezing.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It's hard to know what's normal use, and what's regional slang.

The youth here have 'naink' which is basically 'nothing' as in the exchange my wife heard between one of the teachers she worked with and a couple of primary kids
"what are you doing?"
"naink"
"well, could you try doing saink then please?"

We always had leery and sketchy (or just sketch) as something that was probably unwise to try (buy likely to be done anyway)
"Paul's decided to climb up the outside of the multi-story"
"that's a bit sketch"

Undercrackers to mean pants, no idea how the idea to lengthen the word for slang came about, but there you go.
"me undercrackers have ridden right up me jacksie"

pplpilot

Guru
not sure if its regional, only ever herd it in and around brum and rarely but it is one of my faves -

on forgetting something -

'I'd forget my balls if they wasn't in a bag'

Hyslop

Veteran
"Cowie"-difficult to define,but broadly,substitute "thingummyjig","wotsit" or your nearest equivalent and you have the gist of the thing.So,"Oi,hoy us me cowie pal".Commonly used in Carlisle,as is "mot" for a female,not always approvingly!One I remember from South Shields,often used to me, was "you ll get wrong"Like that one!

Top Bottom