Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
A friend in New Zealand just responded to my Facebook Happy Birthday with 'Just got home from dinner and I'm as full as a fat boys sock.'

Brilliant!

Are there any expressions you & yours use that wouldn't be used by people elsewhere?

"Puta qui pariu!"

I'm sure it's offensive but it makes me chuckle as an expression of exasperation or surprise.

Trans. The whore that gave birth!

subaqua

What’s the point
snide must be a northern thing as we had snide. there was a football game was called snidey which i dont remember the details for

classic33

Leg End Member
Nay lad, two words and depending on the manner in which they are delivered varies from a simple no to severe disappointment

RWright

Guru
Cut the lights off..... I say this and turn the lights off.
mash the button..... I say this sometimes too, mash instead of press. :rolleyes:
y'all..... I say this a lot.
pocketbook.... can be a purse or billfold, I don't use this much anymore. I always thought it was a little weird but I have heard it all my life.
Get me my switch....to strike terror in small misbehaving children. I have been in their shoes.
Bless your heart....I mostly use this when I am being a smart ass but women still use it to comfort crying children.

gbb

Legendary Member
Working in Cyprus just a few years ago, there were loads of scousers in the hotel, working on a motorway I think. The hotel wasnt one of the best id stayed in and there were a few cats used to get in, one had messed in the dining area. One of the guys spotted it..
'ughhh, thats f'kin minty' he said disgustedly.

400bhp

Guru
I'll show my arse in Burton's window.

Meaning it's unbelievable.

My Rossendale mate use to say "you're not even a footballer's cousin" for someone who was really bad at football. Or insert other things for football.

Hyslop

Veteran
Boggle-a ghost or spirit
Boggart-a mythical beast,part badger,part fox,native to the wild wastes" back o" Skidder"
Carlisle United-allegedly a football team,native to the ancient realm of Brunton Park,not known in modern times.

gbb

Legendary Member
A friendly greeting, usually to mates in Notts when we were 'young old boys'...'nah then serry'.
Never knew what 'serry' meant how how it came to be...

Brains

Legendary Member
Another one I came across when working dawn sarth, was "to have gone tits up" which strangely no one has yet mentioned. Quite common as well from what I understood!

Then there's "up the creak with no paddle"...

To have 'gone tits up' means its fallen over. the other variation is ' gone arse over tit'.
Both are widely used in the IT industry 'Dahn Sarf' to describe malfunctioning software and PC's
But are obviously a lot older expressions

And it's "Up shoot Creek without a Paddle" (to be put in an unresolvable position) I've no idea of the entomology, but I'm sure Google will provide

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To have 'gone tits up' means its fallen over. the other variation is ' gone arse over tit'.
Both are widely used in the IT industry 'Dahn Sarf' to describe malfunctioning software and PC's
But are obviously a lot older expressions

And it's "Up shoot Creek without a Paddle" (to be put in an unresolvable position) I've no idea of the entomology, but I'm sure Google will provide
If a company has 'gone tits up' it means they are no longer trading. That's round here (Leicester)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
"Do you think I cycled up the Thames backwards?"

I heard the phrase used in the 1980s by an elderly Londoner who meant by it: "Do you think I am stupid?"

Top Bottom