Know any good regional/national expressions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbloke

Guru
As flat/cold as a witch's tit....

Large

Duty idiot
In south Wales a "hobble" is not, as it is elsewhere, a walk with a limp, but a cash-in-hand bit of work.

e.g.

"He's hobbling down the playing fields, cutting the grass"

"Landed" means very pleased. "I've just won the lottery; I'm landed" Etymology is, I think, from the landed classes having more than the plebs.

"What's your (h)amster?" - What is the time? "Amser" is the Welsh word for "time"

"Taking a flyer" is used by taxi drivers who pick up fares off the street, between scheduled pick-ups.

gbb

Legendary Member
We were just talking about regional words with the MIL and FIL, they said how they couldnt stand the greeting...'nah then youth'which we often heard (and probably used as teenagers) in Bingham, Notts.
She said it uses to annoy her, hearing an aged man greeting another aged man in the street with 'nah then youth'

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
When emerging from a taxi or friends car in Bristol, the customary thing to say is, "Cheers drive". Which leads me on to a theory about the 80's Bond theme Living Daylights:
'Hey Drive, where we goin?'
is the opening line. Obviously written by a Bristolian^_^.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Tits up is simply a coarser version of belly up... meaning dead, as in a dead fish floats belly up. It's evolved to mean something that's gone horribly wrong.

Great expression round here to describe someone who thinks he's god's gift to women: "He's leet geen "

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A cracker from NZ, on the Cricket World Cup just now - a massive 6, bouncing off the roof..."That one's in a cab and heading for the airport!"

Top Bottom