Kona Paddy Waggon 3 bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I've never ridden over, but they always get recommended as fixies. They seem to retain their value moderately well. I was looking out for one before I landed my current fixie.

The is also a lot of live on here for the Sturmey Archer 3 speed on this forum. It's enough range to be useful, reliable and presumably serviceable.

I also looks like you should be able to stick a rack and guards in there too, which, again makes it a good prospect.

XC26

As a big fan of 3 speeds and a regular commuter on one, I'd certainly recommend them. They a very nippy in urban situations, with quick, slick gear shifting which can also be done when stationary. 3 speed hubs are the simplest and most efficient of the internal hub gear systems available and, in my opinion, are all you need. If you want to race, buy a road bike. People tell me 3 speeds are no good for hills - yet I ride my single speed on the hills and so a 3 speed is pure luxury and indulgence. Hub gears, once set up and properly lubed, tend to go for ages on neglect in all weathers. You only have to maintain your chain and brakes. If you have drum brakes, just maintain the chain.

Now, I see from the specs. that the Kona PW3 comes with a down-tube shifter. Personally, I'd prefer a bar shifter in the urban jungle, something closer to my hands. Trigger shifters are my favourite. Also, a 42T chainring with a 16T cog appears to be geared high, IMO, making for sluggish starts from the lights or pulling into traffic. I use 42T or 44T x 20T setup on 26" x1.75" MTB wheels. The recommended gear ratios for a 3 speed are such that you ride mostly in top gear. If you swapped out the 16T cog for a 20T one, you would need a couple of extra chain links if you wished to maintain the same rear wheel position in the rear track forks.

The bike looks great, I must stop now or I'll end buying one to add to my ever-expanding fleet.

Top Bottom