Konichiwa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donnydave

Über Member
Comedypilot, I'm glad you gave Japanese a go and like it, I'm a complete convert and can't get enough. I've had a fair bit of Japanese food (both in Japan and elsewhere) and absolutely love it. Recently went to a place called Abeno Too in London near Chinatown which does okinomiyaki which is like a very thick omelette with whatever you like in it (featured on Hairy Bikers Asian Adventure) and it was a revalation, although reasonably challenging to eat in a non-messy fashion with chopsticks (and I'm certified Chopstick Level 3, I can pick up a peeled boiled egg :becool:). I was most annoyed that when I was in Japan last year I somehow missed this so I will look out for it when I return.

The only bit of their cuisine I don't like is that they do rather have a taste for incredibly fatty meat, and I mean entirely gristle. Had some pork throat although that was a korean restaurant in Japan but the locals just yummed it up. Bloody awful to my mind but the "fatty bird diaphragm meat" wasn't too bad if you don't chew and just try and swallow it whole.

I like to stick to ramen and other noodle based food, sushi (with proper wasabi, not green dyed horseradish as mentioned earlier!) there's a special cut of tuna, can't remember what its called but its mega fatty and that's amazing. There are other fatty fish I'd never tried like Amberjack but that's not half as good, a bit chewy for me. I now absolutely love pickled ginger, can't get enough of it, oh and salmon roe - good lord its like essence of fish and hits you like a, well like a salmon, to the face with no mercy. They love a bit of fried chicken over there too so I've never been hungry when I've been there. I've had a fair bit of kobe-style beef ranging from unbelievably melty in the mouth marbled meat heaven (when taken out by our customer) to barely edible streaks of chewy gristle (when I've been brave chosen a place myself).

I can't get over miso soup for breafkast, I always have to find somewhere that does a vaguely western style breakfast.

The "lucky dip seafood" mystery food didn't make up a large part of their cuisine in my experience, I don't know if that's just perception from over here of people lumping together "asian" food and thinking its all like that? It would be interesting to hear other opinions on this - whenever I hear anyone say "ooh you wouldn't get me eating that, it's all eyes and tentacles" I often find they haven't really experienced the full range of things on offer, they've just seen one thing that they don't like and not looked any further

Top Bottom