Labrador Retrievers?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My sister has laminate flooring in kitchen/hallway and bought zillions of big non slip washable bath mats from Ikea to cover most of it, and they put down a cheap carpet in their laminate floored living room for the first year - it was cheaper than getting big rugs. Their (fox red) lab was, from the get go, clearly going to be massive (which is apparently quite common for that colour) and spent quite a long time growing into, and gaining control of, his paws/limbs so I think it probably avoided quite a lot of slip-n-slide moments!

Ciar

Veteran
Best dog eva! :smile: ours is a part of the furniture and of course the family.

all in all your going to love having a lab.
Bella.jpg

Nearly got one earlier this year from a friend but went smaller and got a border terrier.

Talking dog with Labrador breeder friend and having met their dogs I can say without prejudice that a gundog line of Labrador dogs is probably one of the best dog breeds you can get for all kinds of households (except perhaps very small houses and flats).

Puppy walkers and later on doggy daycare for your two days a week leaving them. Factor in £15 per day for that. Worth it because you'll probably get the benefit of their experience because they'll carry out basic training as well. Well it's in their interest because it's easier to walk trained dogs in public and they'll be walking several at once.

Our friend says if you get a female breed one litter because it'll calm her down. If pedigree you'll get your costs back if you get a few puppies. After that it's your choice but spay if not breeding as there's a condition females get if not bred from but still intact. Males, well your choice but getting him done should help to calm him down.

You'll probably know all that anyway. One thing you'll find, you'll probably get a dog that's better with men or women. It might bond more with one person in your household, well honestly it will. Have fun working out who as it's growing up. It will soon be clear to you.

Jeez! 4 months into dog ownership and I a dog person through and through! They'll do that to you. Everything is about the needs of the dog.

Caravanning? Hot summer evenings going out to restaurants? Can't leave fido in a hit caravan / car, let's get a takeout instead. Nice castle, let's pay to look around. What? No dogs? Really? Sod that! Let's go to the beach. No dogs between April and October? OK, let's go to a bar or cafe, no dogs except guide dogs. WTF! I thought the UK was a nation of animal lovers! Look I'm picking up its poop so don't give me that disgusted look. And so on and on and on.

Then positives are that you'll suddenly become a member of your local clique. Dog walker clique that is. The same dogs at the same time of day. You'll kind of become friends with some. Chatting away while your dogs are playing together. Getting pointers on the best places to go with your dog and other things from owners a little more experienced than you. Then there's end of day chill out with your dog resting its head on your lap. Of course being a Labrador it'll try getting onto your lap completely. A full grown lab isn't light.

All good stuff though.

Being a cycling website will you try and train it to run with you while you cycle. In safe places only if course? We didn't need to train our border terrier, it kind of did the running with the bikes out of instinct. Guess that's part of their breed trait being a fox hunting terrier bred to run with hunt riders ready to go to work when the fox went to ground.

I reckon the intelligence of the Lab would make it easy to train up to run safely with bikes. A gundog line should be more than capable of running like that being athletic labs.

Drago

Legendary Member
I didn't get Lemmy's nuts lopped off. Several reasons...

1. It keeps the option of breeding him open. He's a top drawer pedigree, so you never know. I don't let him shag around, so it's not a problem.

2. It's debatable how much difference it makes to their behaviour.

3. I would not like it if someone lopped mine off against my will.

My Rottie, if they have uploaded properly. You may have to magnify them :okay:

Love rottis, I fostered one for a while, very loving and happy but ours was very needy (cried if we went out the house for more than 10 mins), picky (hated Asda and value peanut butter but loved organic top of the line stuff) and an egg manic (loved hard boiled eggs!)

Skibird

Lol, ours (called Storm) cries as well, but only while we are still outside the house etc, he goes to sleep when he knows we've gone. He does try and stop us leaving though, by blocking the doors :laugh:. We've had rottis for years and every one has been a character.

siadwell

Guru
I didn't get Lemmy's nuts lopped off. Several reasons...

1. It keeps the option of breeding him open. He's a top drawer pedigree, so you never know. I don't let him shag around, so it's not a problem.

2. It's debatable how much difference it makes to their behaviour.

3. I would not like it if someone lopped mine off against my will.

We had to have our cockapoo done rather swiftly, as he suddenly started making himself a nuisance with the other dogs at doggy daycare - firstly with a little male pug then an elderly lab bitch. He had to be separated from the other dogs and spent two hours in the van to, er, calm down. He has been a lot less obsessed with other dogs of either gender since then.

Top Bottom