Ladies - do you ride a ladies bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Both my bikes are built for ladies - one a traditional step through, the other with the more modern take of a step-through that you can't actually step through.
The specialized has the "women's body geometry" thing going on too.
I've been looking at mtb's recently and quite liked the look of the specialized myka, but on having a sit on one today it was too short and the helpful chap in the shop suggested I'd be better on a unisex bike. So I had a try of one, same spec as the myka but without the "womens" label and it felt quite nice.
Kind of opens up the field a bit if I don't just look at ladies bikes, but I just wondered how other cyclists got on with their bikes - ladies or unisex? that is the question.

Sara_H

Guru
I've got a myka :smile:.

I tried a few boys ones too - in the end I went for the myka as it felt good, and it meant not having to worry about changing saddles etc.

I now use it as my everyday bike, having changed the tyres and added a rack, and though it's not step through, I do find it hady that the top tube is lower as it allows room for skirts. For dismounting I sort of lower the bike to the side a bit and then I can step through.

Interesting when I was trying bikes out the Myka 15" fitted me better than a mens 15". Guess it really is all about trying out bikes to find what fits you.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I like the dropped crossbar making room for skirts, not that I cycle in a skirt often, but it's good to know that I could if I wanted. ^_^
I'm liking the ariel at the moment too-but that's more for the black and green paint job than any sensible reason.
I seem to have a leaning towards specialized too.

London Female

Über Member
I have a Pashley which has a low step through. I have the smallest frame they do at 17.5" which is generally a much larger frame than I would normally have, I get away with it because of the riding position of the Pashley. I use this bike if I want to dress up a bit in a dress/skirt and heels ^_^.

I also have a Cannondale which is a women's specific hybrid. At a stretch I am 5ft 2 and I find the WSD just suits me better. I tried a mans/unisex hybrid, it was a bit of a stretch which I think on a long ride would soon get uncomfortable. This is the bike I use the most - this probably means I need to find an excuse to dress up a bit more often and use the Pashley.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Only one of my bikes has a lowered crossbar and that is a mixte frame. It wouldn't bother me whether it was meant for females or unisex, as I'm tall enough that I've fitted a men's frame fine so far. I would be influenced by how it felt to sit on primarily (though obviously colour effects that!!;))

wanda2010

Guru
Neither of my bikes are WSD or equivalent. At 4'11 I'm very limited in what I can ride so my SS is a kid's track bike and my roadie is a Trek 1.2 which they no longer make. Both have 650c wheels which I love.

I'm hankering after another bike so I'm going to test ride a Surly LHT 42cm and probably visit Islabikes to test ride their Luath 26 and Luath small to see what they are like. Oh the joys of being a titch :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't really wear skirts, suppose you could wear a skirt over thin leggings on any bike.
Should try it once, but fear I'll end up entangling myself :laugh:
I have got a ladies alu hybrid, a ladies dropped bar steel frame bike, a teenager's bike ( I am small) and a man's steel bike.
When I go to town with the girls I ride the hybrid. For longer distances I use one of the steel bikes.
When I fear my bike could be stolen I take the teenager's bike, it's not worth a second look, but works fine even for commuting.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have 4 bikes - two are a ladies model (Giant Avail and Kona Lisa - although the Kona is sold and going today, I bought it as it was a very good deal for the spec rather than being WSD). That said I am 5'9 - the Avail just fitted me better than the equivalent Defy (and I preferred the looks of the Avail). A lot of brands don't have female frames that are big enough for me - for roadbikes, they seem to stop at 52-54cm, ditto flatbar hybrids which seem to stop at 17.5"

Get the bike that fits best and is most pleasing to you aesthetically. I do seem to spend a lot of time changing saddles!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Ah, colour is important, yes.
I do fee the vita is a little short for me at times, and it's the largest frame they do - I'm 5'7, so no giantess. I think maybe I have a long reach, so need the longer bike?!
Mr6 has set the budget but specified that it does not include accessories:ohmy:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Both my bikes are men's bikes. I have a Giant Defy 2 road bike in a size medium which is perfect for me. I also have a Specialized Hardrock MTB 19" frame, men's bike and that is rather nice too.
At 5'8" I didn't give female specific bikes a glance although the MBT handlebars are a tad wide for me, they need changing as my shoulders are not as wide as the rider that the designer had in mind.

Sara_H

Guru
I don't really wear skirts, suppose you could wear a skirt over thin leggings on any bike.
Should try it once, but fear I'll end up entangling myself :laugh:
I have got a ladies alu hybrid, a ladies dropped bar steel frame bike, a teenager's bike ( I am small) and a man's steel bike.
When I go to town with the girls I ride the hybrid. For longer distances I use one of the steel bikes.
When I fear my bike could be stolen I take the teenager's bike, it's not worth a second look, but works fine even for commuting.
I usually have something on underneath, either leggings, opaque tights or (in summer) a pair of cycle shorts.
This helps proect the nodesty when dismounting and in the event of a gust of wind.
OH has suggested a pair of frilly bloomers, but he does have some very funny ideas.

Top Bottom