Ladies saddle soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
With the foot pain, I had issues with this and the shoe I was using was cheap and the sole was really flexible, I went with a carbon stiff sole and foot pain went away, have you tried some other brands? or you can get good inserts for shoes if that's the issue.

Johnno260

Veteran
I dunno @Crackle :scratch:

Some saddles are, quite literally, a PITA as soon as you sit on the things. IMHO the right saddle should feel comfortable right from the off.

I recently bought a bike from a fellow CycleChatter, and the saddle she had on the bike hurt as soon as I put my bum on it. Oddly enough, the saddle I really like, she says it's the worst one she's ever tried. The OEM saddle for my road bike is the wrong shape and too narrow for my bottom. While it's just about bearable for a mile or two, much beyond that I feel like I'm sat on a knife...

Not sure any amount of riding on the original saddle that came with my road bike or the one that was fitted to the hybrid would make my bum adapt to them.

The stock Merida saddle that came with my bike was less comfortable than sitting on a brick after a few miles I was in pain it was horrible, I really would like a Fizik Antares but the spez one I have works fine so I can't warrant changing it at the moment.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I presume the pain from the saddle is different and it just feels too hard now but the original pain from the other saddle is gone? I'm not quite sure if that's the case. You might well need time to adapt. Pain from adaptation goes, if it doesn't go, you might need to flog that saddle and buy another, it can be a bit of a process to get the right one.

The shoes might just need breaking in. Can you wear them occasionally for shorter rides and use the old ones in-between?

I think it's all surmountable but you might need to take a longer term view of solving it which I'm sure you're capable of, given you making it back on to the bike after your accident, that's determined going.

I am very hopeful it is just a case of getting used to it, I’ve switched back to my old cycling shoes, which were more bearable and try and get my saddle pain sorted. But, don’t really want to cycle at the moment.

Luckily I have an appointment with my bike fitter next week. So am hoping he can give me some good advice.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Im going through a saddle change after nearly 4 years of being happy with my current saddle. I dont seem to get on with it now. So I have several saddle to try. Its a bit easier for me to test, I have a turbo setup, so if a saddle is comfortable on this it will be fine for my road bike. My first try was very promising, just need to move saddle forward a tad and level up a little and test again.

Funny you say that. Was gonna do exactly that at the weekend! Set bike up on turbo.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
With the foot pain, I had issues with this and the shoe I was using was cheap and the sole was really flexible, I went with a carbon stiff sole and foot pain went away, have you tried some other brands? or you can get good inserts for shoes if that's the issue.

I have Specialized shoes, and Giro. Roughly around the £100 mark

I noticed DHB ones on Wiggle last night, which have a carbon sole. Under £100 too. Had some good reviews.

Not sure if touring / mtb shoes are your thing, but Shimano MT34 have a stiff sole. £40-ish from Decathlon.

Tip for buying shoes - always try them on in the afternoon after walking around all day. Feet do swell over the course of a day, more so when they're tired. You're more likely to find a comfortable fit - laces or velcro can always be tightened, but if the shoe ain't comfy, nothing will change that.

Johnno260

Veteran
I should add I found SPD SL pedals betters as well, the larger platform on the SL I found much much better.

That's the thing, pedals are equally as personal as shoes, saddles and shorts. :laugh: Once you've found the right combination, stock up. It'll be sod's law that they'll stop making what you like. :laugh: (See my sports bra thread LOL)

FWIW, I use single-sided SPD mountain bike pedals. With Shimano MT34 shoes (or Merrell walking shoes if I don't want to use cleats), Charge Ladle saddle and Decathlon 500 ladies' MTB capris.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I should add I found SPD SL pedals betters as well, the larger platform on the SL I found much much better.

I do have the SPD SL pedals. But that’s a good point. It’s easy to go off blaming the shoes.

When I put my measurements into the Bont website, it states my feet are not particularly wide but maybe they’re longer than I had thought.

Johnno260

Veteran
For me the shoes I found best were some Shimano R171 Evans sold them for cheap as ex display, I was going to re-sell them as they didn’t have a mark on them.

After trying them on and realising how comfortable they were I couldn’t part with them, they are easily one of my best cycling purchases.

BlackSchmuck

Shoe to pedal fit is important. I've always used spd type pedals and always fancied egg beaters...however, when I combined them with my Sidi Dominator shoes - I was getting pins and needles and hotspots. I put it down to having no pedal platform to rest my foot on. I've now changed to Shimano ES600 - which are one sided SPD - but have a large platform which the rubber bits of the soles sit on and have eliminated all issues.
I'm very lucky that my bum seems to fit most saddles - but still gets sore after long rides. Doobiesis - you've done well persevering this long - I hope you find a bike/saddle fit that works!

I find the rigidity of cycling shoe soles (try saying that after a few ) causes numbness in my feet. Any shoes with a bit of flex in the soles with flat pedals and half toe clips does the job.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I’ve gone back to my previous shoes and changed my saddle back to the Selle Italia one.

I’ve changed my posture when out on the bike, rather than sitting up I’m bending down more, almost with my bum in the air. It was slightly more comfortable. Went out for 2-hours today and the first hour was bliss, but come the last 5miles it started getting uncomfortable again.

I’m going to local bike shop next weekend and explain both my issues and see what they suggest.

Top Bottom