Ladies saddle soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My partner had the very same problem. We tried lots of things to try help her pain. In the end I changed the stock saddle for a Selle SMP and got an adjustsble stem riser for the handle bars. It does mean she's less aero on the bike and more upright but it seems to have helped alleviate the hurting lady bits.

In regard your hurting feet and shoes, you can try wider fitting shoes and push the cleats further back towards the centre of your foot.You could also try ditching the cleats and wear trainers instead.

I hope you get it sorted. It was really frustrating for my partner too.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Put some flat pedals on and ride in trainers :okay:

This! ^^^

Lightweight walking shoes are just the ticket.

I have reached the end of my tether now. I have replaced my saddle and shoes and am still in pain. I am so fed up how can I be getting it so wrong, nothing I do seems to help and I’m so tired of throwing money at a hobby that is just making me so miserable.

The saddle is hurting on my backside and I was thinking because I went from a rather padded saddle to a non padded one it would eventually be ok, but I shouldn’t be in so much pain that I’m nearly crying.

My shoes, well they just hurt, not only are they numb after 30 mins but now they’re hurting my toes were they’re rubbing.

I’m not getting on that bike again until I have a solution to this problem.

Change one thing at the time, hun xxx There are too many variables, all of which can cause you grief. Start with your feet (flat pedals, walking shoes) and get those sorted. Then work upwards and forwards.

Try a Charge Ladle if the saddle gives you a problem. Inexpensive and seems to suit most bums. Saddle shape is just as important as saddle width and padding - or lack thereof.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I do have some walking shoes I used to use on my mountain bike.

I just had a hope that one day I could look and feel as comfortable as other cyclists I see out.

CXRAndy

Guru
I do have some walking shoes I used to use on my mountain bike.

I just had a hope that one day I could look and feel as comfortable as other cyclists I see out.

One thing I could suggest, is to give yourself a little more time to adjust to your new seat. I took a month or so of 20 mile rides to adapt before upping the time and distance.

Go back to normal pedals/ shoes till your seating issues are resolved. Its easier to sort one problem at a time than two or more.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
One thing I could suggest, is to give yourself a little more time to adjust to your new seat. I took a month or so of 20 mile rides to adapt before upping the time and distance.

Go back to normal pedals/ shoes till your seating issues are resolved. Its easier to sort one problem at a time than two or more.
I’m going to buy some flat pedals least till my saddle soreness goes. I might just well be me taking it a few easy less mileage rides till I’ve sorted it.

Thanks

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member

I’m going to buy some flat pedals least till my saddle soreness goes. I might just well be me taking it a few easy less mileage rides till I’ve sorted it.

Thanks

Thanks
I think this is a good way to go. Just getting back to doing some miles myself after the new shoulder, and definitely having to get the rear end used to it all over again. Can't comment on the pedals otherwise, as I only use flats.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
some unwarranted digs at the OP and their quotes have been deleted.
As usual, please consider your posting style.
Thank you!

I presume the pain from the saddle is different and it just feels too hard now but the original pain from the other saddle is gone? I'm not quite sure if that's the case. You might well need time to adapt. Pain from adaptation goes, if it doesn't go, you might need to flog that saddle and buy another, it can be a bit of a process to get the right one.

The shoes might just need breaking in. Can you wear them occasionally for shorter rides and use the old ones in-between?

I think it's all surmountable but you might need to take a longer term view of solving it which I'm sure you're capable of, given you making it back on to the bike after your accident, that's determined going.

Last edited:
I dunno @Crackle :scratch:

Some saddles are, quite literally, a PITA as soon as you sit on the things. IMHO the right saddle should feel comfortable right from the off.

I recently bought a bike from a fellow CycleChatter, and the saddle she had on the bike hurt as soon as I put my bum on it. Oddly enough, the saddle I really like, she says it's the worst one she's ever tried. The OEM saddle for my road bike is the wrong shape and too narrow for my bottom. While it's just about bearable for a mile or two, much beyond that I feel like I'm sat on a knife...

Not sure any amount of riding on the original saddle that came with my road bike or the one that was fitted to the hybrid would make my bum adapt to them.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Oddly enough, the saddle I really like, she says it's the worst one she's ever tried.
I think this sums it up for most riders............asking for saddle recommendations is almost futile as what suits some of us can be torture for others. I even find if I lose or gain weight it can affect how a saddle feels. I have resorted back to Selle Italia Diva saddles at the moment. Lol.

CXRAndy

Guru
Im going through a saddle change after nearly 4 years of being happy with my current saddle. I dont seem to get on with it now. So I have several saddle to try. Its a bit easier for me to test, I have a turbo setup, so if a saddle is comfortable on this it will be fine for my road bike. My first try was very promising, just need to move saddle forward a tad and level up a little and test again.

Top Bottom