Ladies saddle soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davos87

Guru
This is what I’m fed up with. Being in pain most of the ride, luckily I’m intent on cycling as, if I didn’t have it running through my blood, I would stop doing it. I still cannot do over 30 miles and it’s hindering my ability to build my rides up and get faster.

The company someone suggested, Dill glove, are calling me on Monday so am hoping they can help me. I’ve done loads with the saddle during a ride to make it bearable, I’ve tilted it and then levelled it, pulled it nearer the handlebars, put it farther away. Nothing works.am about to try the foil trick to measure my sit bones.
Can absolutely identify with your sentiments here. Although a male I have been getting pain and discomfort in my groin area for ages which is spoiling my enjoyment of cycling. Every time I go out I usually stop somewhere and adjust my saddle height, fore aft and tilt looking for the most comfortable position. I swapped the saddle that came with my Defy for a Charge Spoon and can’t say it’s improved matters. I’ve even watched loads of YouTube videos and read lots of articles on set up but to no avail. The problem I have is chafing. When I return from a tide I usually have some red friction marks on both groin areas caused by rubbing. I have decent Endura Pro shorts and I was wondering if the pad was too wide and that’s what’s causing it? It’s a pain... literally and I want to cycle further but In more comfort and it’s so frustrating.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes he did. Only just though.

I have just measured my sit bone and it is 140mm + 25/30 = 165/170. Always knew I had a huge ass!
Did he suggest any changes to cranks, stem, seatpost to make it fit better...frame on the big or small size?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can absolutely identify with your sentiments here. Although a male I have been getting pain and discomfort in my groin area for ages which is spoiling my enjoyment of cycling. Every time I go out I usually stop somewhere and adjust my saddle height, fore aft and tilt looking for the most comfortable position. I swapped the saddle that came with my Defy for a Charge Spoon and can’t say it’s improved matters. I’ve even watched loads of YouTube videos and read lots of articles on set up but to no avail. The problem I have is chafing. When I return from a tide I usually have some red friction marks on both groin areas caused by rubbing. I have decent Endura Pro shorts and I was wondering if the pad was too wide and that’s what’s causing it? It’s a pain... literally and I want to cycle further but In more comfort and it’s so frustrating.
Sounds like the same bit that bothers me.....right in the crease of your leg/groin? I’ve wasted a fortune on saddles. Currently finding a Bontrager Paradigm the best of a bad bunch.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is upper body or core strength a factor?

Some days I sit on the bike and feel like a sack of spuds perched on the saddle.

Other days I seem able to hold myself in a more balanced way, taking weight more evenly over the three points of contact.

It's a bit like 'chasing the dragon' (so I'm told).

I rarely get it just right, but it's a good feeling when I do.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Sounds like the same bit that bothers me.....right in the crease of your leg/groin? I’ve wasted a fortune on saddles. Currently finding a Bontrager Paradigm the best of a bad bunch.

I’m going to get a Botrager 165mm. I get chafing too, in that very spot you mentioned.

vickster

Legendary Member
I get that sometimes too but only ever on one side. I must sit wonky or pedal wonky, ever so slightly angling the saddle the opposite was seems to resolve, rather than having pointing dead straight!

Davos87

Guru
Exactly. That crease between leg and groin. I also use decent quality chamois cream and the changes I make to my set up are only small and incremental so no massive alterations where the whole seat height tilt etc are massively out of whack. I have the fitness and determination to go further but until I can find a solution to the above it’s about 25-30 miles max.

vickster

Legendary Member
Exactly. That crease between leg and groin. I also use decent quality chamois cream and the changes I make to my set up are only small and incremental so no massive alterations where the whole seat height tilt etc are massively out of whack. I have the fitness and determination to go further but until I can find a solution to the above it’s about 25-30 miles max.
Try different shorts and a saddle wth a narrower nose?

Davos87

Guru
Try different shorts and a saddle wth a narrower nose?
Yep. Definitely one of the solutions to consider is a narrower saddle. I feel maybe the shorts are bunching up in the groin area and there’s rubbing or friction at the sides of the saddle hence the soreness on the area highlighted. Very envious of fellow contributors on this forum who allude to big mileage rides seemingly without some of the problems and discomfort others experience? It’s a puzzle but thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Davos87

Guru
So just a little update that may prove helpful to some. I spent time on Saturday making absolutely sure that my saddle was level/pan flat. It can be a bit of a faff but I was happy with my efforts. I also measured my saddle height using the inseam method the one Greg Lemond favours where you measure your height from centre of bottom bracket to top of saddle then multiply this measurement by 0.883.Its in Youtube to refer too. So according to this my saddle was too high so I lowered it to the exact measurement that inseam equation gave me. To be fair when adjusted it I just felt it looked too low but given the discomfort outlined above I thought I would give it a go. Been out on bike today, did 30 miles and it was a big improvement. Very little discomfort and no red chafing/friction burn in the groin area. I did put an old pair of shorts on and used chamois cream. I usually wear DHB Pro Bib shorts so now I’m wondering is it the shorts I don’t get away with or the adjustment of height I have made? I know it’s not an exact science this inseam stuff but felt much better on bike and my ride was much more enjoyable so Im not knocking it. Yet??

Top Bottom