Ladies saddle soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just wondering why similar threads to this are moved to the health section but this one stays here?
Have you requested thus?

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
So just a little update that may prove helpful to some. I spent time on Saturday making absolutely sure that my saddle was level/pan flat. It can be a bit of a faff but I was happy with my efforts. I also measured my saddle height using the inseam method the one Greg Lemond favours where you measure your height from centre of bottom bracket to top of saddle then multiply this measurement by 0.883.Its in Youtube to refer too. So according to this my saddle was too high so I lowered it to the exact measurement that inseam equation gave me. To be fair when adjusted it I just felt it looked too low but given the discomfort outlined above I thought I would give it a go. Been out on bike today, did 30 miles and it was a big improvement. Very little discomfort and no red chafing/friction burn in the groin area. I did put an old pair of shorts on and used chamois cream. I usually wear DHB Pro Bib shorts so now I’m wondering is it the shorts I don’t get away with or the adjustment of height I have made? I know it’s not an exact science this inseam stuff but felt much better on bike and my ride was much more enjoyable so Im not knocking it. Yet??

Did you try having the saddle a little more to the left, as suggested?

I finally heard back from my bike fitter and am booked back in on 28th to go over a few things… am going to buy my new saddle tomorrow so am hoping that'll make the difference in me doing 50 miles as opposed to 30.

Reactions: C R

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Davos87 I have been following the thread on and off since it started and am really pleased the problem seems sorted. As a mere male I could offer little advice of real use but as @vickster will tell you I spent a long time struggling with very painful sit bones. If I did 30 I could not get back on for 10 days, it was so sore.
I travelled 50 miles (to a recommended fitter) and spent good money on a bike fit plus new Sella saddle........it made no difference.
Happened to be in my LBS and mentioned the problem.
He put me on a turbo and told me that basically the bike fit was wrong. He kept a note of everything then changed it all (absolutely no charge) and loaned me a saddle he recommended and I bought some Endura Pro shorts.
Truthfully, I went out next day and did a 68 miler followed by a 15 the day after.
Isn't it a wonderful feeling ^_^

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
@Davos87 I have been following the thread on and off since it started and am really pleased the problem seems sorted. As a mere male I could offer little advice of real use but as @vickster will tell you I spent a long time struggling with very painful sit bones. If I did 30 I could not get back on for 10 days, it was so sore.
I travelled 50 miles (to a recommended fitter) and spent good money on a bike fit plus new Sella saddle........it made no difference.
Happened to be in my LBS and mentioned the problem.
He put me on a turbo and told me that basically the bike fit was wrong. He kept a note of everything then changed it all (absolutely no charge) and loaned me a saddle he recommended and I bought some Endura Pro shorts.
Truthfully, I went out next day and did a 68 miler followed by a 15 the day after.
Isn't it a wonderful feeling ^_^

I’m the OP. Not davos.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
So, got my new saddle today. Opened it up and it was the same size as my Selle saddle so was not expecting a miracle when I put it on and went for a test ride.

I made sure I took the measurements and then I matched it when I replaced it with my new one. Instead of cycling along with the nose down too far, I had to stop and raise it, until eventually it was level. Only went for half hour but it already felt better. There was completely no pressure on the front whatsoever!

Will obvs test it at weekend, or an hour after work tomorrow.

The difference, as far as I can tell, is the Selle Italia is very padded. But the new Bontrager, Ajna Elite Womens Saddle has no padding at all.

So, got my new saddle today. Opened it up and it was the same size as my Selle saddle so was not expecting a miracle when I put it on and went for a test ride.

I made sure I took the measurements and then I matched it when I replaced it with my new one. Instead of cycling along with the nose down too far, I had to stop and raise it, until eventually it was level. Only went for half hour but it already felt better. There was completely no pressure on the front whatsoever!

Will obvs test it at weekend, or an hour after work tomorrow.

The difference, as far as I can tell, is the Selle Italia is very padded. But the new Bontrager, Ajna Elite Womens Saddle has no padding at all.

Cool, glad you've got something that seems to work for you. :okay:

If there's too much padding, you sink into it and it puts pressure on places where you'd rather not have any.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Got my shoes and went out for a 30 miler today. Have no pressure on the saddle albeit, my sit bones were/are sore but I was expecting that.

My feet, for the first time ever, remained ok. But, my shoes were on tight enough that they didn’t slip in the shoes due to not having to release the Velcro! That was a first for me. I also noted that the insoles I had to help with my high arch were in fact making the space left in the shoe for my feet a lot smaller, which could explain why I’ve had so many issues.

Going back out tomorrow and thinking I’m not gonna go any further than 30 just yet as I’m still getting used to the changes.

Thanks for all the input on this thread I have taken on board a lot of the advice given.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I have reached the end of my tether now. I have replaced my saddle and shoes and am still in pain. I am so fed up how can I be getting it so wrong, nothing I do seems to help and I’m so tired of throwing money at a hobby that is just making me so miserable.

The saddle is hurting on my backside and I was thinking because I went from a rather padded saddle to a non padded one it would eventually be ok, but I shouldn’t be in so much pain that I’m nearly crying.

My shoes, well they just hurt, not only are they numb after 30 mins but now they’re hurting my toes were they’re rubbing.

I’m not getting on that bike again until I have a solution to this problem.

Top Bottom