Ladies saddle soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Goes to show, a Specialized one was the worst Saddle I bought, right width, wrong shape possibly. Killed my nether regions but looked lovely on the bike I bought it for though :laugh:

Bontrager, no cut out seem to suit me fwiw

We are all different, but the other reason I suggested the Specialized ones is I think you have a trial period? So if it’s not right a change could be possible.

The saddle that came with my Merida was about as comfortable as a brick, good thing I didn’t want more kids after using that thing.

We are all different, but the other reason I suggested the Specialized ones is I think you have a trial period? So if it’s not right a change could be possible.

The saddle that came with my Merida was about as comfortable as a brick, good thing I didn’t want more kids after using that thing.

Hah! The saddles that came with both my bikes were like sitting on a knife. One had the OEM saddle (Wiggins), the other was an SMP TRK, which is probably *THE* most painful thing I've ever sat on...

I had the same problem when using a Brookes saddle. It was torture due to the rock hard nose which caused pinching to the point it drew blood. I swapped it for a Selle Italia Diva which solved my problem. It makes a huge difference when riding on the drops and probably slightly less but enough of a difference when riding on the hoods (probably due to the cut out being wider at the back and narrowing towards the front).
It sounds as though your soft tissue is either not lining up with the cut out (if it was there wouldn't be any pressure therefore no pain) or your soft tissue is wider than the cut out and you are getting friction from the sides of the cut out.
Everybody is different down there and sitting on a bike makes you aware of your own anatomical individuality. Try to establish exactly what is causing the pressure that's making you uncomfortable and take it from there.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Some ultra distance riders use Brooks saddles but they do not suit everybody. Castelli are a good make of shorts but you may not necessarily have the shorts that suit you. You may get the answer you need if you ask on a women specific forum. Get your sitbones measured as your saddle may be the wrong size. This may not help at all as I am a guy. But I recently changed my saddle to one of the Specialized snub nosed saddles and I dont get saddles sores even after 200km rides. If you can test ride one. It may be worth a try.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think Charge saddles are comfortable because they are reasonably flat without too much "camber" and the rear part actually cups the sit bones. They also have just the right thickness and density of padding.

Johnno260

Veteran
Try some different padded shorts, I had some really cheap ones that were horrible.

But also D2D works well for me and they aren’t budget breaking, I also found some really cheap Endura SL pro padded shorts they were £40 on sale and like a 2nd skin really really comfortable.

Also make sure sizing is correct for you too big and it won’t be comfortable.

That's a reasonably padded saddle. I know my wife had some discomfort from a padded saddle and swapped to a less padded Specialized Power expert. I would imagine this is the saddle if you've had a bike fit. Some shops do loan saddles, it might be worth checking out.

CXRAndy

Guru
a problem I’ve had since day zero.

More recently, I have had a professional bike fit which I hasten to add, cost me £230, and he moved my saddle to the right position and is level. But since I’ve been riding I’ve got very sore lady bits. Have had to slant the saddle again, but this means I keep falling forward and have to adjust my seating position every other minute, which is taking some of my energy up.

I have a ladies Selle saddle, so not a bad saddle in the cycling world

Does anyone have any further advise, or should I go back to my bike fitter?

Have you looked at Adamo ISM saddles. These have no nose with cutout. I have had these saddles for several years and swear by them. They are popular with both men and ladies because there is no pressure centrally at all. Correct position of saddle will allow you to ride on your sit bones. Also when tilted forward the 'no-nose' eliminates central pressure too. They take a little while to adjust to, I was about a month of 20 mile rides to toughen up sit points, then bliss

Measure your sit bone width and get one on trial to see if they sort your problem

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thickly padded squidgy saddles are a disaster. They feel comfortable for the first few minutes but they allow your sit bones to sink in, transferring load to soft tissues and they make your bottom sweat. They are one reason why I hate gym bikes.

Top Bottom