Lake District questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Fellow cyclists.

Lake District is not too far away from my flat in Paisley, Scotland and I am keen to have a bite at the famous roads down there this summer. I am planning a 2-3 days long bikeride through the area and I am happily doing 150 km a day or so. I will use tent.

I am playing around with Google Earth which is not the most reliable when it comes to hills and steepness. But it still comes up with a lot of "candy". The biggest piece of candy is Honister Pass which I guess is obligatory. I guess I have to build my tour around Honister. But how is Cockley Beck when it comes to fun on a racing bike ? How high above sea level is it ? How is the road between Lake Windermere and Keswick ? Both seems fun on Google Earth, but what is the reality ?

Is there any good roads I as fond of brilliant sceneries and use Isle Of Arran as a reference point for fun cycling should not miss out on ?

Nearly there

Veteran
Why dont you try the fred whitton route as a start point it takes in most of the big passes and includes the infamous Hardknott pass 33% gradient,as for the windermere to keswick road its a good road with plenty of hills etc its a great place to ride

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Thank you ! It seems like the part of the part of the Whitton Challenge with start from Keswick over to Windermere via the big climbs and then return to Keswick through the main road and a cycle path on the other side of Thirlmere seems like an excellent ride. A good mid summer ride among millions of others, I guess.

rollinstok

Hi, the road between Windermere and Keswick is extremely busy until you get past Ambleside. Next stop is Grasmere and a climb up Dunmail Rise. On the other side of Dunmail look for a left turn which takes you on the western side of Thirlmere..lovely quiet flat ride. When you rejoin the main road a bit further north cross it and go through the vale and climb up to Castlerigg stone circle. Its all downhill from here to Keswick and an excellent camping and caravan club site..cyclists and backpackers are in a field which is on the northern tip of Derwentwater..town is 5 mins walk away.

rollinstok

Hi again, as an alternative to the mayhem between Windermere and Ambleside, look at crossing on the ferry to the western side of Windermere..cycle through Hawkshead ( lovely little town ) and follow the signs to Ambleside from there. When you reach the Ambleside road another alternative is to turn left then right and go to a superb campsite through rolling countryside at Great Langdale...a hell of a climb out the other side or turn back to Ambleside for Keswick.

Edge705

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/keswick-sportive.93947/#post-1689934 - This Sportive I believe does a figure of 8 and takes in 3 of the Lake Districts passes you can check the route out on their website

Hi, the road between Windermere and Keswick is extremely busy until you get past Ambleside. Next stop is Grasmere and a climb up Dunmail Rise. On the other side of Dunmail look for a left turn which takes you on the western side of Thirlmere..lovely quiet flat ride. When you rejoin the main road a bit further north cross it and go through the vale and climb up to Castlerigg stone circle. Its all downhill from here to Keswick and an excellent camping and caravan club site..cyclists and backpackers are in a field which is on the northern tip of Derwentwater..town is 5 mins walk away.

Windermere to Keswick is better turning right up over the Kirkstone Pass, along Ullswater, left up through Dockray and then thread along the roads either side of the A66 following the C2C route into Keswick.

Nearly there

Veteran
The main roads can be busy during peak season and weekends but theres always alternate roads avoid the 66 if you can, It is a beautiful part of the world especially when the weathers kind enjoy.

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Hi. Thanx for all the pointers. I will do the west side of Thirlmere. I have been to that campsite in Keswick. I was almost headbutted by a swan there back in 1995. I still have nightmares.

My plans is to take an early train from Glasgow to Carlisle, cycle over Keswick to the start of that Whitton Round over all the candy stuff to Eskdale (hopefully stay over at the campsite that night) and almost down to the A 593 from where I will bypass Lake Windermere altogether and rejoin the busy road at the foot of Dunmail Rise. Then I hope to set up camp just over the border again for the final ride over Moffat to Lanark/Hamilton/Glasgow/Paisley again. 400 km in total.

Question: I am bypassing Lake Windermere altogether and probably saving it for a Isle Of Man ride. Is Lake Windermere anything worthy visiting or is it just like Loch Ness ? That means overhyped and just a stretch of water with a lot of tourists on it. Loch Lomond on the other hand is a very beautiful lake/loch in my not so humble opinion.

rollinstok

Windermere is not particularly beautiful. Derwentwater, Ullswater, Buttermere and Coniston are worth visiting though. My favourite is Ullswater. Pooley Bridge at the north end of Ullswater has a cafe at the bridge with a garden that backs onto the river..tea and scones yum yum.

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Windermere to Keswick is better turning right up over the Kirkstone Pass, along Ullswater, left up through Dockray and then thread along the roads either side of the A66 following the C2C route into Keswick.

On reflection, I am doing this + the small road over Mosedale to Carlisle again to avoid a double run on Keswick to Carlisle (doing the opposite direction on the way into Keswick). How is the road from Ambleside to Kirkstone Pass ? Google Earth is showing me a lot of fog, but I guess that fog is not as permanent as my brainfog.

Hmm.... This is turning out to be the mother of all bikerides... *big happy smile*

Top Bottom