Lake Garda cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I ran a search and can't find a mention on CC - if it's been posted before let me know and I'll delete.

Looks like this could be fun when complete:

http://www.euronews.com/2018/04/17/...ows-italy-s-floating-cycle-path-on-lake-garda

cycle path.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Looks promising - I stayed there a few years ago and we choose a hotel that had complimentary bikes, but one look at the road and the drivers all seemed to emulate James Bond. So we went round by car - and it's quite a long lake as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks like a fantastic ride.

I believe it's almost a 100 mile round trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Wow....looks amazing. For lesser mortals can I assume you would cycle X miles then turn around and go back ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks great but I could see it rapidly becoming a victim of its own (probable) success! It is obviously an area where people would love to cycle, but not on busy roads. It might be ok with thousands of cyclists riding along at a sensible, steady pace, but once riders start trying to ride on it at speed as if it were a car-free road ... :whistle:

ColinJ

Maybe, just maybe, there will be a speed limit?
I'm sure that there will be, but a lot of people ignore speed limits!

I've had riders overtake me at 20+ mph on the Rochdale canal towpath and almost shove me into the water. They seem to think that screaming "On yer ferkin right, mate!" into my ear at the last possible moment makes it acceptable ...

I wouldn't fancy being barged into the guard rail on the Garda path with potentially quite a drop to deep water! :eek:

Still, if the new path is controlled properly and it doesn't get completely swamped, it will be fantastic.

Mrklaw

Only if you don't stop! The article does say that there is LED lighting on the path, but it sounds more like a 2-day ride to me.

Actually that makes it sound a nice trip vs my original sarcastic comment. Wonder if you can hire bikes locally

ColinJ

Actually that makes it sound a nice trip vs my original sarcastic comment. Wonder if you can hire bikes locally
Yes - I was thinking along the same lines as you; how it would be a great one day ride if you got a clear run at it, but actually it isn't the kind of route that you'd want to rush. 2 leisurely days could be really nice.

I'm sure that bike hire companies will take advantage of the huge increase in trade that the path will surely bring?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It looks great but I could see it rapidly becoming a victim of its own (probable) success! It is obviously an area where people would love to cycle, but not on busy roads. It might be ok with thousands of cyclists riding along at a sensible, steady pace, but once riders start trying to ride on it at speed as if it were a car-free road ... :whistle:
This is in Italy. Home of lycra and road bikes. They dont know what a sensible steady pace is. There is sure to be lots of swearing and waving of arms on this cycle path. I will be riding it at 3am to avoid the masses.

Top Bottom