Lanzarote - Playa Blanca - any experience cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am going to playa blanca with my non cycling wife in April next year. I am thinking about sneaking a cycle hire and ride in -
I want to stay on road - does anyone have experience of hire shops\ routes \ traffic conditions etc.

I have never cycled abroad before, and was always going to go to one of these dedicated cycling hotels - where its all set up for you - but as I am there thought a nice 30 miles would be good ...

Any thoughts ?

1. It's generally very windy :wacko:
  2. [EDIT] Ignore this bit at your peril Larva is crushed and used as aggregate a lot, so punctures can be an issue. I had my road bike, (so never ventured off road), yet had more flats over a two week holiday than I've ever had before, go figure.

3. Pick the wrong road and your legs will legs and lungs will implode on the climbs, DHAIKT :surrender::surrender:
  4. The main roads are fantastic and local traffic always gave me plenty of room :okay: the only close passes I had we're from hire cars:ninja:
  5. I loved every mile though, can I come? :laugh:

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
Ignore that bit about lava. The roads are 90% silky smooth tarmac. Off road is lava though

Long drag out of PB. I have always stayed at Puerto del Carmen though. The hill up to Femes from the PB side is challenging. As in 23% challenging for the last 200m.

If you want a few route ideas, let me know. I have done the full IM route a few times and there is plenty to keep you busy, try this for starters https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26629510

Cracking place for a cycle. I've used Roy's Bike Hire - near the ferry port in Playa Blanca - and found him excellent. Agree with @jay clock about the Fermes climb - it's brutal for the last couple of hairpins. There's a great route out towards Yaiza where the old road runs next to the main LZ2 drag.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Thanks all Roys Bike Hire looks ideal !
However I am a bit nervous about riding on the other side of the road - I wondered if any of the shops did organised rides where I could join in ? - Hopefully mid April there wouldn't be much traffic.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thanks all Roys Bike Hire looks ideal !
However I am a bit nervous about riding on the other side of the road - I wondered if any of the shops did organised rides where I could join in ? - Hopefully mid April there wouldn't be much traffic.
You have to remember on hire bikes, Your brakes will be on the opposite sides. It only caught me out once.

dodgy

I've been to Lanzarote twice with a medium sized group (about 10 of us both times), not one puncture on either of the trips by anyone. The roads are excellent.

We don't go anymore, simply because the wind takes some of the enjoyment out.

Tin Pot

Guru
Road quality is supposedly excellent. Do the Ironman Lanzarote bike course :smile:

http://veloviewer.com/segment/900889/Ironman+Lanzarote+Bike+Course
BD3BAE5C-EB53-4461-8196-2B1C51D76DA4.jpeg

wxbull

I've cycled from Puerto Del Carmen around the island quite a bit, but only once to Playa Blanca. It was in November so not as windy as the summer maybe. I wasn't the fittest, and was quite slow compared to most but what a great ride. I did not go the Femes way that was mentioned earlier though. The roads in Lanzarote are great. And I've never had one puncture. That's cursed it for this February now no doubt. Will search for my ride and post the link if you like

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Well I got lost with my garmin edge touring about 25 miles from where I live at the weekend !

Does anybody know of a good hardcopy map of lanzarote I could use as back up ?

Also are there any roads that cyclists aren't allowed to use in lanza ?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Well I have booked excursion with papaygo bikes in playa blanca - 53 euro's including bike hire. 70k , 1000m climbing average pace around 15 mph (I hope to take that down a notch !!!). Never cycled abroad before I am very excited (and a tad nervous !!!) about this.......

Fly out monday - ride is on the friday

Any more tips let me know....

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom