Last time I use decathlon at surrey quays.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Having the past used surrey quays decathlon for the past 4 years for every bike I have purchased spares.
In January I purchased one of their cheap hybrid bikes only used it a few times was always a back up bike to get me in to work when my other bike is playing up or grit on the roads during winter.

So far this year have only used the bike three times. I have used btwin for a few years and have noticed that on the own brand wheels the spokes see to break easily.
On Friday night noticed the spoke had managed to break again. so took it surrey quays on Sat to be repaired.
In the past they have always repaired bikes same days normally with in an hour. Got there at 9am as doors opened only to be informed that it might take two to three hours due to back log of bikes.
Time I got out was 4pm and only as asked the chap how long it would be.
Not that I expect to be first in the que but I would rather have been informed that they couldnt do it that day.

I wont be using them again or purchasing bikes again from them.

uclown2002

Guru
:popcorn:

gavintc

Guru
Not sure I understand your post. I think you took a wheel in for repair and they said it would take a day. If so, this seems reasonable. What did you expect ? Drop everything for your repair, or work through the repairs, getting to your wheel in time?

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
more the point was informed it would be two to three hours would have been happy to have come back later in the week was about 4pm by time got the bike back. Surrey quays is not a massive place.

vickster

Legendary Member
You hung around from 9am to 4pm? If they said 2 hours, why didn't you ask earlier how long it would be? Or did you leave and go back?

Personally, if I need something doing, I'd always call in advance rather than making a specific journey (I don't think you live next door)

Drago

Legendary Member
If this is the most notable thing in your life worthy of a moan you're doing better than the rest of us. Get a grip.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've noticed recently that their workshop is very busy over the weekends. There's often a queue of people waiting to get their bikes seen to, which wasn't the case a few years ago when I last used them. And being next in the queue doesn't automatically mean your bike will be the next to be seen to because some people may have booked their bikes in for servicing or repair a couple of days ago; the real order of things may not be immediately apparent.

It's a shame that they've closed their café - it used to be the cheapest in the area.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It is quite normal to have to book a bike in and have to wait for it to be repaired. Your repair may be a quick fix, but it might be in a queue behind full builds or more lengthy repairs.
I use three or four different bike workshops, and I have to wait a day at least for all of them.

snorri

Legendary Member
So you stood around in the shop from 09.00 until 16.00?
Perhaps they were repairing bikes for people who only had one bike and no spare to fall back on.
I only hope for same day repairs when far from home on a cycle tour:smile:.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So you stood around in the shop from 09.00 until 16.00?
Perhaps they were repairing bikes for people who only had one bike and no spare to fall back on.
I only hope for same day repairs when far from home on a cycle tour:smile:.

Good points.

The owner of my local bike shop told me the only cyclist he felt was entitled to jump the workshop queue was a stranded one - punctures being the most common example.

To be fair to the OP, he wasn't expecting to queue jump.

Sounds like Decathlon tried to fit him in, but the progress of other jobs may have conspired against them.

I always recommend Decathlon for beginners to try out as it has range and space to try put new bikes. And they also have great bikes for the price that they ask and across the range. They also do a good job in setting up your new bike. After that it goes South

1. Hopeless service when it comes to the workshop. Mechanics are ok, but poorly organised from the word go. Focus is on new bikes. I once brought a friend to hook up a new headset. The guy gave my friend a date 3 weeks later. I was so embarassed. I am not sure if the fact that he brought along his own headset was factor. You also see the mechanics printing soccer jerseys, tshirt transfers. Just go on a weekend and you all sorts of customers being put off. And many of them make that journey after reading their website on a comprehensive site including the express service.
  2. Re-stocking consumables across all categories. The fact that their staff use the same customer shopping baskets on wheels tells you they do not have enough tools to do proper job. Any staff would cut down on the re-stocking trips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom