Latest groupset obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Love it

New rule: If ain't got a bottle cage it ain't a proper groupset.

You can still get a campag bottle cage for 60 quid!
Top tip: Buy a £5 one and only half fill it ^_^

Jameshow

Veteran
Even if you don't get the full groupset I would argue you still have a 105 groupset bike even if the chainset is FSA, the cassette is sunrace and the brakes tektro??

First two work well brakes not so much imho.

I always like to pack the right gear when i go cycle fishing on my full Ultegra bike ^_^
1663457256906.png

boydj

Legendary Member
I've always thought groupset was all the mechanical bits and coggy bits, shifters, brake levers, brakes, gear mechanisms chainset and cassette. So the fact that I have Miche brakes and Shimano gears means I don't have one.

I have sometimes idly considered getting 105 brake calipers to match the rest of my 105 stuff. It would be pointless from a practical point of view but satisfying to have everything matching. I probably won't ever do it.

I never thought that headsets and BBs were part of the GS, but maybe I was wrong.

The 105 brakes would probably be better brakes than the cheaper substitute ime. I replaced mine on a similar bike a few years ago and they were a good improvement.

DRM

Guru
The 105 brakes would probably be better brakes than the cheaper substitute ime. I replaced mine on a similar bike a few years ago and they were a good improvement.

I did the same, swapped OME Tektro rim brakes for 105 brake callipers, the difference was astounding, the Tektro brakes were awful despite being set up as good as they possibly could be, this is on a Tiagra group set bike

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I did the same, swapped OME Tektro rim brakes for 105 brake callipers, the difference was astounding, the Tektro brakes were awful despite being set up as good as they possibly could be, this is on a Tiagra group set bike

That kind of surprises me. I'm not doubting your experiences, but it my gut says to me that a caliper is a caliper, and different ones will have the same mechanical advantage regardless of the brand, and that will be what counts for squishing the brake pad against the rim.

So what is it about the 105 calipers that can make them better? Stronger/better springs? More efficient pivots? Stiffer materials? Cunning design with differently placed pivots giving a different leverage?

If I could end up with neat matching branded parts and some improvement I might splash some cash.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
That kind of surprises me. I'm not doubting your experiences, but it my gut says to me that a caliper is a caliper, and different ones will have the same mechanical advantage regardless of the brand, and that will be what counts for squishing the brake pad against the rim

It will depend how much the lever pulls the cable vs. travel, plus length of lever arm, and angle / shape of horse shoe holding brake blocks at calliper end etc

DRM

Guru
Just better quality, let’s put it this way the Tektro brakes imho were dangerous, they would retard your progress, the 105’s would actually stop the bike very quickly, I think the cheaper callipers can flex and the pivot points aren’t as freely moving, for what I think cost at the time £50, it’s a no brainer

Top Bottom