Latest groupset obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
But at least you are comfortable with a larger range of cadence?

I think 1x makes a lot of sense now. It's a faff to change your front mech and then go up or down the block to get to the next gear.

If I’m changing chain rings at the front it’s usually because I’m transitioning from the flat to uphill, uphill to downhill etc. I can just change at the front and get the big change in gearing I want. But with 1X you’d need to jump about 4 or 5 cogs at the back to achieve the same. Much more faff with the latter.

boydj

Legendary Member
All went downhill after DA 7400, Deore XT and Campag Record from early 90's, quality just isn't there :whistle: Lots of plastic and wobbly pivots :crazy:

I picked up an old Wilier on e-bay. Nice bike, but the ride wasn't the best. My good bike was a Focus Cayo - bought because it was the same professional-level frame, complete with UCI sticker, throughout the range, with mostly 105 but I upgraded the wheels and chainset. The Cayo has now been stripped down and a full Campag Chorus groupset, apart from the chainset has now been fitted, having been stripped off the Wilier. The Chorus kit is at least 20 years old, probably a lot older, and only 10-speed, but it works beautifully and has all the gears I'll ever need.

On the road the relative differences between mechanical 9, 10 and 11 (I've never tried 12) speeds are negligible for most riders. While it's a great feeling to have the latest kit, it's only worth upgrading if the old kit is not working properly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I picked up an old Wilier on e-bay. Nice bike, but the ride wasn't the best. My good bike was a Focus Cayo - bought because it was the same professional-level frame, complete with UCI sticker, throughout the range, with mostly 105 but I upgraded the wheels and chainset. The Cayo has now been stripped down and a full Campag Chorus groupset, apart from the chainset has now been fitted, having been stripped off the Wilier. The Chorus kit is at least 20 years old, probably a lot older, and only 10-speed, but it works beautifully and has all the gears I'll ever need.

On the road the relative differences between mechanical 9, 10 and 11 (I've never tried 12) speeds are negligible for most riders. While it's a great feeling to have the latest kit, it's only worth upgrading if the old kit is not working properly.

My old Dura Ace/ 600/Ultegra and XT kit is flawless - still works, as does my SRAM X9 from 2016. I look after it. If it works and shifts/stops as it should, keep it.

Comparing my old XT mech to the X9 mech - main difference is weight, the X9 is half the weight, but the old XT is built like an old brick out house - very different construction. The down side with old road groupsets (and to some extent MTB ones) is cassette tooth compatability.

Only having a 39 x 26T as the lowest capacity as a fit young racing snake, was more than I needed (42 x 21 was Winnats at 25%) , a bit different being in my 50's. I spin much more in my adancing years. 😄

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
bit different being in my 50's. I spin much more in my adancing years.

AICMFP....

1663277163923.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yeah it was mostly related to my thread. But I've seen on other threads that people wouldn't buy a brand new bike with a year old groupset even if its heavily discounted. For some people its just a no no.

Are they the same people who queue for five days outside Apple stores in order to buy the latest piece of over-priced white plastic?

Gunk

Guru
I’m still using 10 speed Ultegra 6600 on two of our bikes, I can’t see the need to change it, it’s beautifully made and feels like it will last a lifetime.

Sharky

Guru
I can see some logic for going for the latest groupset, if budget permits. The last complete bike I bought was in 2008, and still very pleased with it. Once I buy something, I expect to keep it for a long time. So when it comes to buying my next bike (or a replacement component), I will go for the best available at my budget.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If they are all single-speed, yes :smile:

Otherwise, they have a groupset of some sort, even if it may be mixed.

It depends what you call a groupset. BITD it would have included the gear and brakesets, headser, hubs, possibly pedals, maybe even seatpost. Even my Spitfire doesn't have that, and it's as close to 100% Campagnolo as I could manage. Chorus gear and brakeset with Record hubs and pedals because they don't do those at Chorus level and it doesn't all come as a set.

Alex321

Veteran
It depends what you call a groupset. BITD it would have included the gear and brakesets, headser, hubs, possibly pedals, maybe even seatpost. Even my Spitfire doesn't have that, and it's as close to 100% Campagnolo as I could manage. Chorus gear and brakeset with Record hubs and pedals because they don't do those at Chorus level and it doesn't all come as a set.

I'd argue it is still a "groupset", just as a mongrel is still a "dog".

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If they are all single-speed, yes :smile:

Otherwise, they have a groupset of some sort, even if it may be mixed.

Nope, if it isn't a full group of matching components from the same series, it is not a group set.

If I sold just a rear derailleur and called it a group set I’d get called out for it. The clue is in “group” and “set”.

Top Bottom