Latest groupset obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having moved from an 105 (shifters)/Ultegra (derailleurs) to Dura-Ace recently I can tell the difference. It was a 5800/6800/8000 mix of components to 9000 but still 11 speed. The shifting's better, brakes are better, etc.

But .. do I need the latest groupset? (which this isn't btw as it's now 12-speed 9200) No. Son no. 1 and myself are sticking to 11 speed as almost everything's interchangeable bar his disc-braked Ridley.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All went downhill after DA 7400, Deore XT and Campag Record from early 90's, quality just isn't there :whistle: Lots of plastic and wobbly pivots :crazy:

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
So is the OP taking about the new electronic 105?
Not sure why it’s an issue unless stuck on having electronic 🤷‍♀️
I don’t get the obsession with 105 either (I’m looking to get shot of Ultegra on my Condor!)

No not specifically 105 Di2. I wasn't talking just talking about buying new bikes. People seem to obsess in upgrading their bikes so they have the latest groupset. For me I'm happy to just enjoy what I have for a few years.

vickster

Legendary Member
No not specifically 105 Di2. I wasn't talking just talking about buying new bikes. People seem to obsess in upgrading their bikes so they have the latest groupset. For me I'm happy to just enjoy what I have for a few years.

I don't personally know of anyone who does that...are you reading the weight weenies website? They go a bit mad trying to save a few grams!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If you have more of them, there is a better chance of one being the one you are comfortable in.

Fewer sprockets means bigger jumps, so times when you will change down, then immediately feel you have gone too far down.

This is what puts me of a 1x set up for my Orange.

Reactions: C R

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Have you ever ridden fixed or single speed?

Yes , fixed on the track , single speed on road and mtb. Plus 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11spd drivetrains with single , double and triple rings.

So at this point I know what I like and I know why.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
The newer groupsets, which use larger rear sprockets are a big advantage, but they need to be compatible with the groupset.

The incompatibility of Shimano MTB and Roadbike groupsets after 9 speed is a big disadvantage.

Yes , fixed on the track , single speed on road and mtb. Plus 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11spd drivetrains with single , double and triple rings.

So at this point I know what I like and I know why.

That's interesting. I'd have thought you'd be ok with the 1x given that you've ridden in just the one gear.

Jameshow

Veteran
Having moved from an 105 (shifters)/Ultegra (derailleurs) to Dura-Ace recently I can tell the difference. It was a 5800/6800/8000 mix of components to 9000 but still 11 speed. The shifting's better, brakes are better, etc.

But .. do I need the latest groupset? (which this isn't btw as it's now 12-speed 9200) No. Son no. 1 and myself are sticking to 11 speed as almost everything's interchangeable bar his disc-braked Ridley.

Agreed a 2 step jump is needed to notice the difference and the most tactile part of shifting is the shifters themselves.

I'm happy at 9spd on winter bikes and 10 spd on summer bikes makes changing wheels if needed a doddle.

Discs and di2 are nice but not essential, I have enough trouble charging bike lights!🤣🤣🤣

GuyBoden

Guru
This upgrading of components has been going on for as long as I can remember in cycling, especially in racing.

But, I was much faster in the 1980's on Suntour components than Shimano's inferior stuff or so I believed.:laugh:

Suntour Superbe Pro 5300, probably the finest example of a rear friction derailleur ever made, but I could only afford the the Cyclone.:cry:
12B4BF72-C65B-4DD8-B338-8083ECCFEA5E.jpg

Last edited:
But riding in one gear you don’t get big jumps from changing gear. You just get the one gear and pedal smoothly along. No sudden jumps in cadence / gearing.

But at least you are comfortable with a larger range of cadence?

I think 1x makes a lot of sense now. It's a faff to change your front mech and then go up or down the block to get to the next gear.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Not always true. There is a former chatter who used to ride an old road frame with a 97" or so fixed gear. He achieved a 23minute 10 on this steed.

He told me he came into a bit of money and bought himself a decent TT bike, but couldn't get near the time of his old steel fixed bike.

Well... for road-racing you'd certainly want precise, fast gear-changes and a decent frame you can throw about.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
But at least you are comfortable with a larger range of cadence?

I think 1x makes a lot of sense now. It's a faff to change your front mech and then go up or down the block to get to the next gear.

Faff? I really do not want a mega cassette with horrible jumps between gears.

Top Bottom