Latest groupset obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Nope, if it isn't a full group of matching components from the same series, it is not a group set.

If I sold just a rear derailleur and called it a group set I’d get called out for it. The clue is in “group” and “set”.

Any one part, such as the rear derailleur you mention is obviously not a groupset.

I would argue that the combination of all the drivetrain and brake parts on a bike is a groupset, even if they come from multiple series.

You might say something like "my groupset is mainly ultegra, but with a 105 cassette".

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Any one part, such as the rear derailleur you mention is obviously not a groupset.

I would argue that the combination of all the drivetrain and brake parts on a bike is a groupset, even if they come from multiple series.

You might say something like "my groupset is mainly ultegra, but with a 105 cassette".

From Wikipedia

A groupset or gruppo (from the Italian for "group", often misspelled grouppo) is a bicycle component manufacturer's organized collection of mechanical parts. It generally refers to all of the components that make up a bicycle excluding the bicycle frame, fork, stem, wheels, tires, and rider contact points, such as the saddle and handlebars.

winjim

Smash the cistern

I think that's what comprises a groupset simply because that's what manufacturers are providing as a complete set these days. As I mentioned, previously you might have included other parts such as the headset, so the groupset then included more components. It is a bit trickier to define now that you've got integrated shifters and brake levers, so my bike had a Sora groupset with BB5 brakes. My old Bianchi was advertised as Xenon/Veloce mix. In fact it had Xenon rear mech and shifters, Veloce front mech, Tektro brakes and FSA crankset and headset with Miche hubs. So only three Campagnolo components in total, hardly a group. I think when people say groupset these days they generally mean gearset, even slimmed down to just mechs and shifters, not even crankset and cassette.

Alex321

Veteran
From Wikipedia

A groupset or gruppo (from the Italian for "group", often misspelled grouppo) is a bicycle component manufacturer's organized collection of mechanical parts. It generally refers to all of the components that make up a bicycle excluding the bicycle frame, fork, stem, wheels, tires, and rider contact points, such as the saddle and handlebars.

Fair enough. It isn't the way I've understood it, and Wikipedia isn't always correct, but looking it up, other sites also seem to think it only refers to a matching set of components.

When someone like me asks on here about a bike they are thinking about that doesn't contain the latest groupset. It never ceases to bemuse me to see the responses.
AggravatingEnlightenedHorseshoecrab-max-1mb.gif

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've always thought groupset was all the mechanical bits and coggy bits, shifters, brake levers, brakes, gear mechanisms chainset and cassette. So the fact that I have Miche brakes and Shimano gears means I don't have one.

I have sometimes idly considered getting 105 brake calipers to match the rest of my 105 stuff. It would be pointless from a practical point of view but satisfying to have everything matching. I probably won't ever do it.

I never thought that headsets and BBs were part of the GS, but maybe I was wrong.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I've always thought groupset was all the mechanical bits and coggy bits, shifters, brake levers, brakes, gear mechanisms chainset and cassette. So the fact that I have Miche brakes and Shimano gears means I don't have one.

I have sometimes idly considered getting 105 brake calipers to match the rest of my 105 stuff. It would be pointless from a practical point of view but satisfying to have everything matching. I probably won't ever do it.

I never thought that headsets and BBs were part of the GS, but maybe I was wrong.
“ coggy bits” I wish I had your grasp of technical jargon :notworthy:………………………….:laugh:.

It still annoys me when you get pricey bikes like the Bianchi Via Nirone 105 and its not all 105.
Over £1800 and you lose 105 chainset and brakes for cheaper generic kit.
Flashy carbon frame to sweeten the deal? Nope, its alu.

It still annoys me when you get pricey bikes like the Bianchi Via Nirone 105 and its not all 105.

This is now a trend, groupset gives way to part this and that for new bikes. Make me mad.

winjim

Smash the cistern

VN7's an aluminium bike. Give it a carbon frame and it ceases to be a VN7. But yeah, my Bianchi I mentioned upthread was one of them. Campagnolo shifters and mechs but that was it.

winjim

Smash the cistern

Mmmm... 2004 Campagnolo Record, but I think I might hesitate to include the ridiculous bottle cage as part of the groupset...

Screenshot_20220917-180404_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220917-180429_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220917-180527_Drive.jpg

They have stopped doing group level headsets, hubs and pedals now, and I don't think you can get the seatpost or the silly bottle cage.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Recently they did a GCN test with different level bikes & beginner intermediate & pro cyclist all did a timed course & switched between the cheap bikes & super bikes. They took the average time difference & it was a small handful of seconds. Very important if racing, but people can spend their money how they want. On today’s ride I saw many different types of Porsche vehicles. They all had miserable faces so may as well saved money & bought a Honda.

On today’s ride I saw many different types of Porsche vehicles. They all had miserable faces so may as well saved money & bought a Honda.

Don't forget the Porsche drivers are really smiling inside, whereas its down to the medication with those grinning Honda owners.

Top Bottom