Latin speaker?Cyclist? Read on!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
Well now,I picked up a copy of Bikes etc.today,so far,so good.However,on reading the review of the Specialized Roubaix,(p.90 if you have a copy) we find this with regard to the wheels review-"Sed quis et ditem quasetio as ernation nonsequ upsi".Handy eh?I did 1 year of Latin many years ago and that was hardly a success at the time.So,if you has a better grasp of the Latin than wot I has-translation please!Quite apart from what was going on as far as the subs are concerned,are the wheels any good!!:unsure:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sed quis et ditem -who will enrich- the rest seems quite gibberish. No great Latin speaker here.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is it perhaps typesetting filler? Text that people use to bulk out the form of text on a page before replacing it with real text (or forgetting to ... as may have happened here). The famous one starts "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" Perhaps this is more of the same

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is it perhaps typesetting filler? Text that people use to bulk out the form of text on a page before replacing it with real text (or forgetting to ... as may have happened here). The famous one starts "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" Perhaps this is more of the same
That was my first thought too but I copy-pasted the beginning of the text and the only google reference was this thread.

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
Its odd that you say that,because prior to reading the review I had been thinking to myself that some of the articles were actually quite well written.By which I mean that there was less of that near hysteria,self congratulatory Mamil speak than is generally found in other magazines!But youre right-it even looks like gibberish-long lunch perhaps?!

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
Sorry all,my last meant to be to Gravity aided-text filler,yes, hadnt thought of that.Or....are you not too hot at Latin either^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Never hot at Latin, more so at French, and long lunches. Today, a turkey burger with the charming Mrs. GA at Merry Ann's Diner, on Route 66.
At Latin Numquam calidum , ita plus apud Gallos , prandia , et diu . Hodie , cum a burger Turcia venustus Mrs GA ad Annam scriptor Hodie Prandium, LXVI Route
That's the best Google Translate can come up with.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Yes, that's exactly what it would be - the designer makes the layout and fills it with dummy text pending the review being written (there's a handy button in InDesign to populate a layout with ersatz Latin. It looks more like real copy than a bunch of xxxxxxxes, so is good for working out word count, but is obviously not correct so shouldn't end up in print by accident - in theory, at least).

I can't explain why it's there though. The copies we have in the office have the correct (English) text, which may or may not make more sense depending on your point of view. I'm guessing there's a batch of duff copies somewhere. Where did you buy it @Hyslop? I shall investigate further...

Correct version of the page attached to this post.

Attachments

• BikesEtc_p90.pdf
    127.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Btw, all latin masters hav one joke and this is it:

Caesar adsum iam forte
Brutus aderat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic inat

A good roare of larffter will cut the leson by two minits six seconds or half a gender rhyme.

Top Bottom