LB10SFJ very NSFW swears and tantrums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The real tragedy of this incident is that the Discovery driver could have taken the next right turn along Priory Lane and gone to the reception of The Priory Hospital, an extremely expensive private clinic that seeks to deal with various mental/obsessive/addictive issues. I imagine that Anger Management comes in at about a grand a day. Alas, It was only yards away as he left the scene. Oh dear.

Reactions: GM

bpsmith

Veteran
Late into this one, so apologies if already asked, but does anyone think the initial bonkers response and language from the cyclist not have a significant affect on the drivers response?

We don't know what happened on lead up, in fairness, but the attitude of both parties is pretty shocking.

I totally agree that the driver deserves whatever backlash he gets, but an good element of it is cause and effect?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Late into this one, so apologies if already asked, but does anyone think the initial bonkers response and language from the cyclist not have a significant affect on the drivers response?

We don't know what happened on lead up, in fairness, but the attitude of both parties is pretty shocking.

I totally agree that the driver deserves whatever backlash he gets, but an good element of it is cause and effect?

The first thing the cyclist says is "Hey, come on", then the driver starts with "You f---ing a---hole blah blah cycle path"

If he doesn't want to be sworn at, he shouldn't start swearing at others.

bpsmith

Veteran
The first thing the cyclist says is "Hey, come on", then the driver starts with "You f---ing a---hole blah blah cycle path"

If he doesn't want to be sworn at, he shouldn't start swearing at others.
I find it difficult to catch the initial bit properly on my phone. Cause and effect works both ways, so if driver started it then cyclist is likely to continue it in fairness. Cyclist then continues to goad driver and call him specific words?

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 3725166, member: 9609"]from the video the over the top aggression by the discovery driver starts at 29seconds, at this point all the cyclist has quietly said is "hey come on" at 31 seconds in the 2½ tonne 4x4 appears to be used as a weapon against the cyclist - I am surprised the cyclist kept as calm as he did. I am even more surprised that the driver has been able to keep his drivers licence and liberty.[/QUOTE]
I am not arguing with the bit prior to the driver getting out of his blunted up road hog whatsoever and that's the bit that matters as far as safety is concerned. No question there.

I am referring to once the two parties are on foot.

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 3725180, member: 45"]If you can't handle someone shouting at you (even when you've not done anything wrong) then are you really fit to drive a truck on the road?[/QUOTE]
I agree, but would say it applies to Any vehicle on the road, including bicycles. No question there.

I guess my gripe is in the number of videos posted, where the rider is generally in the right, but they then continue to goad the other road user until they get the obvious response.

I know a few people with cameras on their bicycle and they are sound people who don't react like that, so this doesn't apply to all quite clearly.

I just wonder if they would be acting the same without their camera on?

I would argue that the cyclist is more like to get punched after shouting deck me, deck me then, than if they had not. They wouldn't be in the wrong if the driver had done so, but would have certainly been seen as the reason why it happened? What gain would that have been?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3725234, member: 9609"]I do know what you're saying, and it is easy to say the cyclist could have behaved better, however we have to bear in mind some one has just used a very large powerful vehicle in a very threatening way towards him, the driver then jumped out and started to behave in a very violent aggressive manner - I can understand if the cyclist acted a little out of character.

It is easy to conclude after viewing the video a few times in the comfort of our homes that the driver is a rather silly puny little man who probably couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag - but in the heat of the moment it would have appeared very differently, no guarantee that the driver may have not produced a weapon, or another thug appear from the passenger side, and it can be a huge mistake to assume little guys can't fight.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree.

In a situation like this my initial reaction is to try and stay calm...then...if I can see that this is useless (sometimes within a few milliseconds) I then want to escalate to disproportional violence....it solves very little but if I genuinly feel at risk, it seems to be the best way to get out of a situation. Thankfully this has happened only twice in my entire life.

Trouble is, that at this would have led to me being in the wrong as neither chap in the video seemed keen to actually escalate to violence and just wanted a good rant. If I was there and did blow my top, I would be typing this from remand, whilst little leather clad ranty chap continues to drive about the place, thinking he is right.

Perhaps, a good rant was all that was needed, shame it is all played out on you tube really.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Wells: you should be on the effing cycle path!
Biker: and you should be on the effing road!
Wells: you effing cxxt. I am on the effing road!
Biker: what's your problem, eff off then!
Well: wait what? I'm effing confused now! You effing cxxt you confused me. I'll eat you for breakfast effin confusing me!

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Yeah, you can play dumb to take the wind out of their sails, so if they scream "I'll eat you for breakfast" say, in the same tone of voice as Nicholson in A Few Good Men; "I don't have a spoon!"

Then watch that little bearded face go blank as the cogs of his mind try to process what he just heard.

Yeah, you can play dumb to take the wind out of their sails, so if they scream "I'll eat you for breakfast" say, in the same tone of voice as Nicholson in A Few Good Men; "I don't have a spoon!"

Then watch that little bearded face go blank as the cogs of his mind try to process what he just heard.

Saw something on TV once very similar - I believe it was a David Blaine interview - the US Street magician. He said that when he started out his approach sometimes got hostility on the streets when people didn't realise he was a performer, and became aggressive towards him. He said his way of dealing with this everytime was to spot absolute nonsense, such as "My fish has a red shirt - why?". He claimed it always worked for him, as the 'offender' instantly had their anger brought down as their higher brain functions had to kick in trying to make sense of what was said, and once past that moment they just either walked off thinking him to have mental health problems or showed concern.

Not a technique I've ever seen used, but can see the logic. If a cycle cammer could try it, I'd love to see the result! (note - if it fails and you get beaten up anyway, it wasn't my idea!)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This feisty little nutter is a danger to cyclists, no doubt, but posting a zoomed-in extract from one of his own tweeted pictures showing a reflection of his meat & 2 veg is highly questionable, in my view.

bpsmith

Veteran
I personally believe that the only guy that ended up in a position to control this scenario, and actually change either parties opinion, was the fellow cyclist who did his best to calm them both. Either party would have listened to him and might have actually ended up with them thinking properly about their actions, if only he had a bit more of a chance to do so.

Result now being that neither side think they were wrong as all they remember is the argument.

No gain from the rant whatsoever.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I agree, but would say it applies to Any vehicle on the road, including bicycles. No question there.

I guess my gripe is in the number of videos posted, where the rider is generally in the right, but they then continue to goad the other road user until they get the obvious response.

I just wonder if they would be acting the same without their camera on?

I would argue that the cyclist is more like to get punched after shouting deck me, deck me then, than if they had not. They wouldn't be in the wrong if the driver had done so, but would have certainly been seen as the reason why it happened? What gain would that have been?

I've seen quite a few "road rage" incidents over the years (and have been involved in one) and the behavior you see in this video is hardly unusual - two people shouting,
swearing and threatening each other - camera or no camera.

Top Bottom