Le Mans Camping Advice (by foot no car)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My lad and a few mates are off to Le Mans next Weds and staying until Monday. Having a bit of a debate about 'weight' - i.e. he's got to carry stuff.

So far he's got our 2 burner stove (will need to buy campingaz out there) but is wanting to take a small generator (about £200) - that he'll need to buy fuel for when there (more walking) as gas/fuel not allowed on Eurotunnel.

Now I've said it's going to be heavy 10kg, on top of the stove (only 3kg), plus a pop up tent, and a rucksack and 'camera' stuff.

Say's they will need power for charging phones/camera. OK 4 18/19 year olds are going to hammer their phones, but my biggest worry is he will need to keep the 'generator' with him (40cm x 40cm) as it will just get robbed as they have no-where secure. He does have a power bank that will do 4 x charges.

Is he crazy ? He has to get the stuff on the train to London before meeting up with 2 of the 4 (they are travelling from Warrington, he Stockport), and one lad not able to get there until Thursday.

I've bought a 'dog' ground anchor that they can at least loop through their rucksacks etc whilst sleeping.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can he get the right Gaz cartridges/cylinder there.

I've used a Pac-Safe on a rucksack. Depending on the sizes, it may cover more than one. Combined with the ground anchor.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Gaz cartridges are OK - it's the 'deposit' type, so will need to fork out for the smallest cartridge, then hand back part used.

A solar charger might be an option for powering battery banks ?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Think I've found the answer - falls under prohibited items on Eurostar, as an empty container that contained fuel.

Solar charger and a few battery banks. We have 2 x Anker 21,000 banks that will hold 5 phone charges.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I happily tour with a £30 solar panel and cache battery for weeks. That’s on a bike without a dynohub. Life is easier with the bike that has a dynohub but he hasn’t got that luxury.

I’ll echo what was said upthread about carrying a genny all over the shop...’NUTS!’

D

Deleted member 26715

Or knock on the door of a camper van or caravan & ask if they will charge them up, I honestly cannot think of a generator only weighing 10KG & certainly wouldn't want to be carrying it around

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
There use to be coach parking area just across the road from the main entrance which also had a restaurant with toilet facilities , if this is still there and can be accessed by anybody then that might be a good base point

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

It's just my son - thinks he knows it all. He won't be able to take one over having had petrol in it - going to push him in the direction of solar and an extra power bank. He's taking too much stuff - don't think the others are. His priority is his blood test metre, which will last quite a few days and he can get buy on a backup.

Plus camping with a generator will just hiss everyone off.

It's just my son - thinks he knows it all. He won't be able to take one over having had petrol in it - going to push him in the direction of solar and an extra power bank. He's taking too much stuff - don't think the others are. His priority is his blood test metre, which will last quite a few days and he can get buy on a backup.

Plus camping with a generator will just hiss everyone off.
Lots of people take generators, fossy. Need to keep the beer cold, they don't carry them though. My mate used to go every year, I never fancied it. I'll see if I can glean some insight from him. Solar panels sounds his best bet though.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Last year there were charging stations just North of the funfair area, that I think were free to use, although I have not seen any in previous years. Attempting to take a genny is nuts. I am pretty sure there are sockets around the back of the grandstands on the stairs on the start finish straight too, but you would have to wait around whilst the battery packs charge.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
An ASDA Blackweb powerbank (20,000mAh) is £25. -Two USB external ports and a visual indicator of power left. What look to be similar power banks under a different brand are £20 from Amazon.
I bought a Blackweb last year on special offer and mine is very good. He should get several charges out a full one and weighing around half a kilo is a lot lighter than a generator.

Top Bottom