Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's on again

Leeds to Scarborough

We start at Leeds railway station 0900. Two route choices

Flatter...about 85 miles and, for those that have done it, about the same climbing as the Manchester -Llandudno flatter route

Hiller....not sure yet but will be a bit further, about 90 miles and incorporates a couple of hills

It's a slightly fiddly route to get out of the city, then we head through Temple Newsam park and out into nice quiet country lanes to Cawood where we have a coffee/cake stop. From there it becomes very flat indeed to Malton where we have a late lunch stop

There is a rolling section then as we skirt around the Howardian Hills (missing the very steep Wolds all together) after which we have a flat run towards Scarborough.

The ride finishes with a route that takes us from South Bay to North Bay along the promenade like the Tour de Yorkshire. We finish at a really great fish and chip shop

After the fish and chips folk are welcome to head home, come for a few beers before heading off or stop over and make a night of it. Scarborough has decent train connections back to Leeds & Manchester, also to York from where you can get just about anywhere

As before I will run an "Expressions of Interest" list

I won't finalise routes yet. I'm looking for a better route out of the city and working on a hilly variant. Happy to have any comments on last year's route from participants via PM

One comment from me. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, please don't put you're name down for this ride if you are not willing to turn up with some means to navigate the route. That can be a GPS, a map, whatever. But please don't rely on turning up and hoping to follow others. We will slowly split into smaller groups and you may find yourself unable to see another rider in front

Expressions of Interest
@ColinJ
@I like Skol
@Littgull
@Oldfentiger
@Crackle
@Freds Dad
@Kestevan
@Julia9054 +1
@EasyPeez
@rich p
@Moodyman
@si_c
@wanda2010
@doughnut +1
@Rickshaw Phil
@Buck +1

Route Files
Note these are PROVISIONAL at this stage but give a good idea of the proposed routes

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21518464 Flatter

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21567538 Hiller

Both routes are the same to Malton, the late lunch stop. After that the flatter route is 28 miles with 850ft of climbing. The hillier route is 34 miles with 2,100ft of climbing.

Taking the hillier route the participants will be pushing on to get to the fish and chips at same time as those on the flatter route so be prepared to split into smaller groups

Last edited:
I was looking at accommodation and it's all quite expensive until the end of September. As usual for me, September is going to be a suck it and see month. Son2 is off to Uni and I don't know which one yet and I have my annual old crusties mountaineering weekend. However Mrs C was taken with the weekend in Llandudno so it's possible I could justify this with her involvement as my crusty wknd is not cheap and son2 might be in Leeds, hopefully will and I want to do this ride, so I'm a possible.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My preference would be for 23rd Sept as this doesn't clash with anything horrid like work & stuff. I realise this might be getting a bit late in the month/year for some so next possible would be 9th as it means only one night off work. I definitely cannot do 2nd or 16th. If it goes back even later then 30th would be perfect day as it falls slap bang in the middle of my days off.
I await your decision eagerly as I haven't had any luck with your ride dates in the last couple of years and would love to do this one. Might even join Strava so I can top the leaderboard! :tongue:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was looking at accommodation and it's all quite expensive until the end of September. As usual for me, September is going to be a suck it and see month. Son2 is off to Uni and I don't know which one yet and I have my annual old crusties mountaineering weekend. However Mrs C was taken with the weekend in Llandudno so it's possible I could justify this with her involvement as my crusty wknd is not cheap and son2 might be in Leeds, hopefully will and I want to do this ride, so I'm a possible.

Yeah, accommodation was a bit of an issue last year. I think most people ended up in B&Bs. I did. I think it was about the same price as I managed to get the Travelodge in Llandudno

I don't want to run it beyond September as weather can deteriorate and you know how some folk like to have a moan about that sort of thing don't you?

doughnut

Veteran
Think I have plans for early September, though we havent booked anything yet - planning on going away as soon as schools start up again, I think thats usually around 1st week in September. Other than that I'll be available.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Think I have plans for early September, though we havent booked anything yet - planning on going away as soon as schools start up again, I think thats usually around 1st week in September. Other than that I'll be available.
Make other plans then. Where are your priorities man?

Here's the Travelodge prices through Sept. (saver rate)

2nd - 94
09th - 94
16th - 106
23rd - 94
30th - 57

Something must be going on on the 16th and obviously everything closes by the 30th. No more donkeys on the beach.

A quick shoutout regarding availabilities for another edition of the Leeds - Scarborough ride I ran last September

I'm relaxed which Saturday in September so please indicate preferences, unavailable weekends etc. In one week from now I will fix the date based on this feedback. So no feedback....don't complain about the date I choose!

Basic format is all day ride, probably a longer, hillier diversion for those that want it, chips, beer. I think last year's flat ride was about 85 miles and we started from Leeds at 9am

So please give me your preferences and I'll take it from there

Hi @nickyboy

This was a fantastic ride last year and I would be well up for doing it again.

The first two weekends of September may be difficult as I will likely have family commitments but Sat 23rd or 30th would be fine.

Cheers.

Top Bottom