Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Let me take a look at who has said what tomorrow and then I'll pick a date that suits most

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK...so I said that tentative participants had a week to let me know their availability and after that I would fix an immovable date

September 30

Sorry to @NorthernDave who is the only person to highlight that weekend as a difficult one, hopefully you can work something out.

I'll smarten up post#1 to give details of the ride over this weekend and run an "expressions of interest" list as usual. It'll be very much along the lines of last year. 9am start from Leeds (with 10am from Crossgates for those that want to avoid the rather tricky exit from the city). About 85 miles to Scarborough which are as flat as the "flat" Llandudno route. Hiller and slightly longer diversion available along with Strava KoM competition

Really, really good fish and chips (better than Llandudno even). Beers for those that want. Coffee/cake stop and a lunch stop. Depending on weather should get to Scarborough about 5-6pm (last year we were there about 4.30 with that lovely tailwind)

Heads up on trains from Scarborough....split ticketing usually gives best results

I appreciate some have already sort of "expressed interest" but could you do so again now that I've fixed the date? Thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Had assumed I would be on this one and have already been busy planning my route to Leeds. I reckon the 34 miles to the meet-up plus the easy 85 after a quick breakfast should make it into an achievable but challenging day. I'll get my hills in before the start :okay:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Had assumed I would be on this one and have already been busy planning my route to Leeds. I reckon the 34 miles to the meet-up plus the easy 85 after a quick breakfast should make it into an achievable but challenging day. I'll get my hills in before the start :okay:

I'll ride to Stalybridge station and get a train from there, thus avoiding those pesky hills :becool:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I'm in too.
Haven't worked out the logistics yet, but I'll work on Mrs OFT to combine this with a caravanning weekend. Moor the caravan somewhere near Scarborough and get 'er indoors to drive me over to Leeds on the Saturday morning, or summat like that.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm in too.
Haven't worked out the logistics yet, but I'll work on Mrs OFT to combine this with a caravanning weekend. Moor the caravan somewhere near Scarborough and get 'er indoors to drive me over to Leeds on the Saturday morning, or summat like that.

You can easily get a train from Scarborough to Leeds in time for the start. @mike3121 did that last year I think

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull and I will be whipping out our Senior Railcards for return tickets to Leeds from over here and cheapo singles back from Scarborough. It worked well last year and I think the total cost was only about £12. Our morning train should get into Leeds at 08:45.

@Littgull and I will be whipping out our Senior Railcards for return tickets to Leeds from over here and cheapo singles back from Scarborough. It worked well last year and I think the total cost was only about £12. Our morning train should get into Leeds at 08:45.

Yep, I'm definitely in for this ride again on 30/09. I can smell the excellent Scarborough fish and chips already!

Freds Dad

Veteran
Now we have a date I need to work out the logistics of getting to Leeds from Macclesfield and then back from Scarborough. A combination of car and train looks best.

Top Bottom