Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Now we have a date I need to work out the logistics of getting to Leeds from Macclesfield and then back from Scarborough. A combination of car and train looks best.

You'll see I'm starting the ride an hour later than the Llandudno one. It's about 14 miles shorter is part of the reason. But also it gives folk an extra hour to get to the start which should help.

As mentioned I'll be taking the Manchester - Leeds train (getting on in Stalybridge). There are plenty of them, good service

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm a definite maybe. I've booked a Travelodge so I'll be in Scarborough at the very least.

Me too...£57 is more like it. Not sure what the price will do when all the CCers pile in though

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
upload_2017-5-26_14-53-22.png

:becool:

Now then, about this weather.........

Count me in, unless the weather forecast turns out to be horrible.

I'll likely cycle up from Cottingham and join you somewhere near the middle. Will you be swinging north or south of York do you think?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Count me in, unless the weather forecast turns out to be horrible.

I'll likely cycle up from Cottingham and join you somewhere near the middle. Will you be swinging north or south of York do you think?

South of York. We cross the Ouse at Cawood, then head to Stamford Bridge, then Malton

Cawood is a coffee stop and Malton is a late-ish lunch stop so they would be sensible meet up places

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Draft route files loaded on post #1

The flat one is the same as last year for now but I'm looking into a slight change to get us out of the city

The hilly one is new and also in draft form for now

The idea is this...everyone rides to Malton where we have a light late lunch. From there, if you take the flat route you have 28 miles & 850ft of climbing to the fish and chips. If you take the hilly route you have 34 miles and 2,100ft of climbing to the fish and chips. So anyone taking the hillier option will have to push on to make sure they aren't at the back of the queue at the chippy

Definitely no hill as hard as the one out of Flint we did to Llandudno on the hillier route, much more gentle gradients and the stretch around the Dalby Forest looks great

Both routes rejoin in Scarborough for the promenade procession

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Draft route files loaded on post #1

The flat one is the same as last year for now but I'm looking into a slight change to get us out of the city

The hilly one is new and also in draft form for now

The idea is this...everyone rides to Malton where we have a light late lunch. From there, if you take the flat route you have 28 miles & 850ft of climbing to the fish and chips. If you take the hilly route you have 34 miles and 2,100ft of climbing to the fish and chips. So anyone taking the hillier option will have to push on to make sure they aren't at the back of the queue at the chippy

Definitely no hill as hard as the one out of Flint we did to Llandudno on the hillier route, much more gentle gradients and the stretch around the Dalby Forest looks great

Both routes rejoin in Scarborough for the promenade procession

Are you still setting off from the Southern Entrance to the station, around Granary Wharf?

The Cycle Super Highway is now fully open*, so you could cruise up some of the most expensive tarmac in the world almost all the way up to last years Cross Gates rendezvous point. It will give you a great chance to see just what £29 million buys you these days...although there isn't much in the way of an official cycle route across the city centre from the railway station to the start of the eastern CSH.

* - the bit they closed again almost immediately for gas main work should be re-opened by September...;)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Are you still setting off from the Southern Entrance to the station, around Granary Wharf?

The Cycle Super Highway is now fully open*, so you could cruise up some of the most expensive tarmac in the world almost all the way up to last years Cross Gates rendezvous point. It will give you a great chance to see just what £29 million buys you these days...although there isn't much in the way of an official cycle route across the city centre from the railway station to the start of the eastern CSH.

* - the bit they closed again almost immediately for gas main work should be re-opened by September...;)

Yes, South Entrance Granary Wharf

I'll take a look at the Cycle Super Highway (I fancy riding it just because of the name). Any input on the route out of Leeds would be most appreciated, by PM please so as not to clog up the thread. Fellow local @colly is providing input too

mike3121

You can easily get a train from Scarborough to Leeds in time for the start. @mike3121 did that last year I think

Yes I did get the train from Scarborough to Leeds and it was only about £4.50

Bad news is I'm off work for a majority of September, 8th - 27th, I will be smack bang in the middle of a block of late shifts on the 30th, but I will see what I can do to have a couple more days

Top Bottom