Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The Adelphi itself was quiet but there were yellow tabard wearing staff on the road outside directing traffic so it was beginning to get busy in that area.

si_c

Guru
Not good. Did you have a long ride home from the station then?

The longer route was to avoid the tunnel which has narrow lanes and cars are not allowed to cross the white line which leads to too much conflict, it's also a fairly steady gradient sapping gradient. In the end it was raining and I figured at least the tunnel would be dry, not a lot of fun though, but realistically the best option.

doughnut

Veteran
Great ride Nick, and great evening in the pub. I think I remember most of it. Thanks again for organising. Hanging on to you and DiddlyDodds through the forest TT was a leg burner, but little did I realise the pace was set to increase once we got into Wetherspoons. Pretty sure in one night I doubled the amount of alcohol I've drunk in 2016. Was the kebab really the best idea though?

Julia9054

Guru
Great ride Nick, and great evening in the pub. I think I remember most of it. Thanks again for organising. Hanging on to you and DiddlyDodds through the forest TT was a leg burner, but little did I realise the pace was set to increase once we got into Wetherspoons. Pretty sure in one night I doubled the amount of alcohol I've drunk in 2016. Was the kebab really the best idea though?
Kebab! Oh dear . . .
You didn't go clubbing then?

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Thank you Nicky for organising yet another fantastic weekend for mostly total strangers.
I enjoyed the ride, the brilliant tail wind you booked especialy for the day and the craic in the pub but not the late night disgusting kebab and long walk back to our digs.
Wind and hangover made me get the train back.
Looking forward to the next one already

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Very nice to hear such positive feedback on the ride. As always, it's the participants that make a ride and it was lovely to see some old friends and make some new ones.

The route worked out fine. There were a few lumps and bumps but even the most hill averse rider would have found little to grumble about. Of course, having splendid weather makes a good ride a great one. I reckon we peaked at 22 degrees in the afternoon, not even a spot of rain and of course a fabulous tailwind. There were times we were bowling along at 20mph without anything more than just turning the pedal

I think my favourite stretch of the ride was the very narrow, quiet lane shortly after leaving Malton. In about 10km we saw maybe a couple of vehicles?

Great fish and chips, but I knew that already. Good to see some participants making it to the pub too. I try to make these rides more of a social occasion than just a ride. Having being lured into having a kebab at last orders I felt obliged to do a couple of hours this morning in the N Yorkshire Moors. I didn't throw up, that's about all I can say positively about this

So a few shout outs....

@doughnut for either agreeing to my idea for a kebab or suggesting it in the first place, I honestly can't remember
@Kestevan for killing me on the last 10 miles into Scarborough...it's not a race, alright? (actually the last few miles were a race)
@Buck for somehow getting lost in Scarborough and, as far as I can make out, not actually seeing the sea at all
@si_c for messing up his train connections like he does on every CC ride
@ColinJ for being so ridiculously overdressed on the ride with his gilet, armwarmers, long socks etc
@Moodyman for trying to blag his way on an early train without the right ticket by claiming to be "foreign and not speak any English"
@mike3121 for being the only drinker daft enough to agree to my idea of going clubbing when the pubs shut. Roxy anybody?
@middleagecyclist for missing the morning coffee stop completely and then not being seen at all in Scarborough
@NorthernDave for buying me a cake and a pot of nice Yorkshire tea in Malton
@DiddlyDodds for seemingly being the ride's official photographer....and caning it into Scarborough with me just about hanging onto his back wheel
@Littgull for trying to convince me that Northern mill towns are actually nicer than his place of birth, Torquay
@colly for riding fixed and having his shoot together to the extent his yellow tyres matched his bike
@tommaguzzi for treating us to his post-ride sciatica stretches in the pub in the evening
@Julia9054 for graciously accepting pints when she kept asking for halves and not looking too worried when her husband got lost on his own

If my workload allows, I will try to run this again next year

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sunday September 25th: The Yorkshire Hangover! :laugh:

@ColinJ for being so ridiculously overdressed on the ride with his gilet, armwarmers, long socks etc
Ha ha ...

I did take the arm warmers off later on!

The long socks are light compression socks. I normally wear short socks when on the bike but the dodgy veins in my left leg play up on long train journeys or when sitting around in cafes, stations and pubs so I played safe and wore them yesterday. Yes, they were a bit warm!

I would have taken the gilet off but it was serving to disguise the fact that my residual beer belly had in fact burst the fastening on my shorts which were only being held up by a belt ... :whistle: :blush:

@middleagecyclist for missing the morning coffee stop completely and then not being seen at all in Scarborough...
Couldn't find which chippie you were in i'm afraid and then had to get my train. Did get to share a table with @NorthernDave @Moodyman and Gill though.

Drama on arrival in Manchester when drunk elderly man fell head first on to concrete and was KO'd. I had to stop and assist till the big green bus arrived. Group rides are a bit like that for me. That's one collapsed male, two RTCs, one cardiac arrest and now a head injury with loss of conciousness.

Great ride although I was flagging the last 15 miles or so. Still, fitness is returning and I had a good blast for a while. Thanks for organising.

colly

Re member eR
Thanks @nickyboy for going to the considerable trouble of organising.
Just sorry I couldn't have come for the whole day out.
Actually that's not true. I was cream crackered by the time I got back to Leeds so I think I would have really suffered if I had tried for Scarborough.
Apart fom a couple of 20 milers whilst on holiday that's the first time I've been on the bike since about March. So I'm happy all in all.
Nice to see a couple of familiar faces too.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Cheers @nickyboy
Superb ride and very well marshalled by your good self.... must have been a bit like trying to herd cats at some points.

Don't think I had enough of the post ride carbohydrate replacement fluid as I was cramping up all night afterwards....I'm blaming you and Gil for setting a ridiculous pace after Malton........ :whistle:

Top Bottom