Left hook on CS7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
People say silly things in the heat of the moment.

No-one is perfect and for those of us that are car drivers we will have all done something that, in a split second, makes us appear incompetent. In isolation (where no-one was injured) it isn't justification for losing a licence.

Indeed, some expericences of that road are on this thread-it appears that the road layout really doesn't help here.

You don't drive do you.
I do drive and previous rode a large motorcycle, but I do not see how that is relevant to someone else's bad driving.
I know he will not lose his licence but I feel the privilege of having a driving licence should be withdrawn more often and maybe then more drivers would treat it as a privilege rather than a right.

dawesome

What sort of logic is it that if you don't drive you must not criticise drivers? What sort of person defends driving like that and doesn't want the driver punished?

davefb

Guru
The driver tried to blame the whole thing on the van in front of him, which passed him on the offside, changed into his lane and then passed in front of the cyclist, not quite sure how that made his driving worse, as the same situation would have happened, just at different speeds.
I can only assume he meant it took his attention..

he's probably right..

but he really should have waited behind that bike instead of overtaking it,, thats *terrible* driving.

nice avoidance by the cyclist.... hope she's okay

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
you have to get in the centre of the lane. There's no other way. It's not easy, and the junction is wretched, but be in no doubt about what you need to do. If you can't then make for the footpath and walk across.

I gather that a lot of people have been in touch with the company f btatwork@btinternet.com

MichaelO

Veteran
Anyone that knows CS7 probably knows how poor the stretch of road by oval going southbound is.
Witnessed a very bad left hook this afternoon, the cyclist involved was trying to keep calm, but was extremely shaken up, the scooter rider and I waited with her for a few minutes.
Gaz - she works in the same department as me - took a while to connect it all together, but we cycled to that junction together on Thursday evening (I turn left there) and she mentioned she'd had a "near miss" on CS7 on the way home the other day . It was only when I rewatched your video on Friday evening that I recognised her & her bike. Forwarded her the link & it is her.

Thanks for looking out for her :thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Anyone that knows CS7 probably knows how poor the stretch of road by oval going southbound is.
Witnessed a very bad left hook this afternoon, the cyclist involved was trying to keep calm, but was extremely shaken up, the scooter rider and I waited with her for a few minutes.

And that Gaz, is the reason I am glad you ride with a cam.

Awful driving, awful lack of awareness, awful attitude, if it were me I would hope I would have been out of the cab checking the rider was okay before making comment, you HAVE to put your hand up when you make a mistake as awful as that.

Hope the rider does get back on soon... MichaelO can you pass on the regards of those that wish her the best?

As for an appropriate punishment, both riders and drivers need to be made to take responsibility for their actions on the road. As such I agree that this chap should loose his licence for a period of time, although I realise that he wont. I would expect no less if I overtook a cyclist then hooked across without indicating (until I'd already hooked). Regardless of the fact that it would have been a mistake.

I make stupid mistakes myself, I'm sure we all do. I have made some that I have been very lucky to get away with. I've recently turned right without properly checking and actually shivered at the thought, after the fact.

If, in doing so I'd hit a motorcycle or cyclist, I would expect to pay the price for my stupidity.

We all have to start taking responsibility rather than relying on crumblezones, insurance policies and small print to get by.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Look at the clip, the lgv accelerates wildly knowing 4 cyclists and a scooter are on his nearside, the vehicle turns BEFORE indicating.

That driver should not be on the road, a series of recklessly stupid errors then dishonest blame-shifting.

I wouldnt say it was "Wildly" that's an overstatement in my eyes.

Also do take into account that the lane is a left turn lane, so confusion is almost a given.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I watched this on Gaz's channel, its so shocking and with no indicators before the turn its very hard to predict. She did amazingly to avoid it, how quickly she reacted to swerve away and managing to turn that hard made it look less close than it was. He'd clearly seen her as the pass started out reasonably well, but then turns into a horrible left hook.

The junction looks terrible, especially the way even CS7 doesnt want to go through the middle of it, but presumably resumes the other side.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Gaz - she works in the same department as me - took a while to connect it all together, but we cycled to that junction together on Thursday evening (I turn left there) and she mentioned she'd had a "near miss" on CS7 on the way home the other day . It was only when I rewatched your video on Friday evening that I recognised her & her bike. Forwarded her the link & it is her.

Thanks for looking out for her :thumbsup:
It's great to hear that she is still on the bike. Can you let her know that I am doing what I can to push this incident as far as possible with the police and the company. I hoping that this is possible without a complaint from her, but it may be required.
If she wants to get in touch, she can send me a message on youtube.

Jdratcliffe

Nasty - do that route everyday i turn left and as such use the bus lane lest there is a bit of concrete in the way and a bit more space... but i cant tell was she planing on going straight on? if so i would have stuck myself way in the center of that lane as i see the majority of people do along there.. anyhooo glad shes ok and that hopefully the driver has been scared into fixing his appalling driving!

Top Bottom