Left hook on CS7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
The thing I note is the cycle lane is on a left turn only carriageway. I'd advise against using it unless turning left. I'm not a fan of cycle paths.

Regardless of the direction of the first carriage way I'd have not filtered along the curb, but between the first two lanes of traffic. That way you greater avoid the loss of a left hook, and by the looks of it get more space.
+1
Left turn only lane, it's not sensible to filter on the left if going straight on when there's room to filter between the lanes.

cycleoptic

Regular
Sections from the Highway code:

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36]

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.

Turning left

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

When turning
• keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
• give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sections from the Highway code:

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

When turning
• keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
• give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction
As I said on your video, people at the front of the traffic will often watch the lights rather than what is coming up the inside of them.
In this situation, it's best not to filter to the front.

trsleigh

I agree. The taxi was indicating and the cyclist was going straight on. Wrong move by the cyclist imo.
I wouldn't have chanced going up there not knowing the lights could have changed any second but would have stopped just behind the taxi and let the car behind knowing I was going straight on.

That junction's on my daily commute. The left hand lane is clearly shown as left turn and the taxi was also indicating left. Why insist on filtering on the left? I blame the worse than useless cycle lane for encouraging inexperienced cyclists to filter up the left, come what may. I agree the taxi should have looked but why position yourself on the inside of a left turning vehicle.

Top Bottom