Leg shaving...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I reckon it worked. Set a PB going up a local hill of some repute, this morning :thumbsup: Aero legs and less hair weight = success! :thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Read The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton for an explanation of leg-shaving. Seaton reckons it's to facilitate massage and signifys a rider's "coming of age" when he becomes serious. He says that a rider with hairy legs would get laughed out of the peloton. As a secondary benefit he says a shaved leg enables an experienced rider better to assess the musculature and therefore the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent.

I did it once and was amazed at the volume of hairs that blocked the drain hole. An electric clipper or beard trimmer would definitely make the job quicker.

D

Deleted member 20519

Shaving your legs has nothing to do with aerodynamics - it just makes it easier to apply plasters to cuts and grazes if you come off.

And how often do you fall off that you require your legs to be shaven? :biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Read The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton for an explanation of leg-shaving. Seaton reckons it's to facilitate massage and signifys a rider's "coming of age" when he becomes serious. He says that a rider with hairy legs would get laughed out of the peloton. As a secondary benefit he says a shaved leg enables an experienced rider better to assess the musculature and therefore the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent.

I did it once and was amazed at the volume of hairs that blocked the drain hole. An electric clipper or beard trimmer would definitely make the job quicker.

Trans: it shows off your legs.

D

Deleted member 20519

I'm going to see how long I can last this year without shaving my legs, I won't give into peer pressure :rolleyes:

potsy

Rambler
Nah - no itches, yet. I tried it a cpl of months ago, as mentioned earlier and even when I let it grow back all the way through the cycle to full on bush legs, it was ok. I may yet adapt the 'proper finish' method and get the razor out tonight. Although I think you would need to be within a cpl of feet to notice any existing stubble.
Where are the pics? :whistle:

Herbie

Veteran
Ok, so I was bored (really bored) one night about 3 months ago and decided it would be a good idea to try shaving my legs. As a trial, to see: a) How much hassle it wouldd be to do & b) if they would feel 'odd'. DOing it in the winter would be a sly way of testing, without cause for possible ridicule :smile:

As shorts weather has suddenly arrived I have been caught out a litle bit. I feel I should shave 'em again and sharpish. Only problem is, that I am fairly lazy and not sure if I could manage the upkeep. It took me ages the first time because I was such a dubmass as to have not used the electric hair clippers to get rid of the 'main wool', before switching to the razor, for the finesse work. I ended up blunting about 3 disposable razors and taking something like 30 mins to to one leg! Heh. I twigged that I was being a ridiculous fool and used the clipper/razor combo, for leg #2 (the left one, for those who are interested). Anyway the crux is this - should I commit now to 6 months of upkeep and tweak my hair removal technique as I go, or slack off and stick with the hairy look?

Edit: oh yeah - and does anybody have any 'easy win' ways to do it? Nothing involving strange chemicals or lazers!

keep your hair on

VamP

Banned
So basically the only argument in favour of leg shaving is peer group pressure and narcissism? Seems a bit weak... given how much effort is required.

Top Bottom