Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The Scottish Government appear to be considering 20 mph max. limit on rural roads. This is at a very early stage so no further details that I know of.
As it is, they cannot even enforce the 20mph speed limit in Glasgow city centre, not the 20mph in my street.
What's the point? :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I fear you've been misinformed. As I and others have given sources that support these limits being mandatory, could you cite an authority that supports your claim of 'advisory only'?
That's just reminded me. There is an advisory 20mph which uses a green circle somewhere like Tydd St Mary, put up by whatever county council it is. It's silly so probably Lincs. I didn't find it in the Traffic Signs Regs, so I wonder if it's even a lawful sign.

This could be debated for a long time one cyclist injured or hurt badly is one too many statistics show there are more accidents on rural roads than anywhere else!
That said from personal experience I used to time trial on the A63 going out of hull and never thought it unsafe I rode the hadrians wall and went on a section of the A69 between the museums to the west of Hexham and have never been so scared in my life was I pleased to be back on the cycle lanes!

classic33

Leg End Member
That's just reminded me. There is an advisory 20mph which uses a green circle somewhere like Tydd St Mary, put up by whatever county council it is. It's silly so probably Lincs. I didn't find it in the Traffic Signs Regs, so I wonder if it's even a lawful sign.
Bath & North East Somerset Council

The signs referred to have no legal standing, they indicate an advisory 20mph maximum speed.

They have not specifically been authorised by the DfT, however advisory maximum speed signs are included in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
[QUOTE 5441978, member: 9609"]all's not lost though, 20mph zones dramatically reduce speeds
about 70% break the speed limit in a 30 mph road
but when that limit is reduced to 20 mph
only about 25% exceed 30 mph[/QUOTE]

How many exceed 20mph though?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bath & North East Somerset Council

The signs referred to have no legal standing, they indicate an advisory 20mph maximum speed.

They have not specifically been authorised by the DfT, however advisory maximum speed signs are included in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002.
:laugh: Sir Humphrey at work!

The advisory max speed signs in TSRGD (diagram 513.1A and .2) look nothing like those green circles. Edit: I'm pretty sure a highway authority like Lincs or BaNES shouldn't be putting up confusing unauthorised signs but does anyone know if there's a law agin it?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
we could debate this forever and many examples could be given but here’s one 20 mph limits are almost everywhere enforceable mmmm? 30 mph is the lowest speed limit in uk
No 20 mph limit advisory only but I do totally agree with the placing of these for safety
This could be debated for a long time one cyclist injured or hurt badly is one too many statistics show there are more accidents on rural roads than anywhere else!
Sorry, Steve. What could be debated a long time?
You have been given the authoritative info on 20mph limits (for motor vehicles) which can be established on specific roads or zones (ie areas often residential) with red circled signs with a '20' in black in the middle, and legally enforced. You have also been appraised that some A roads are prohibited to cyclists. We are seeing that issue played out with regard to the A63 which you've TT'ed on.
Oh, and :welcome: to Cycle Chat.

Top Bottom