LEJOG 2011?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elbrow

Hello, my boyfriend and i are relatively new to cycling, but like a good challenge to build up too and are looking to do LEJOG (or JOGLE) in 2011.
We thought it would be more fun to do it in a group and so are looking around to either join an existing party or gather people together.

Our plan is to do the whole thing in 10-14 days in July/August 2011. We are in our late 20's, converting from trithalons and keen to try something a bit longer. We are based in London and would be up for some training rides/weekends with others beforehand. If anyone is organising or knows a group that we could join, please could you let me know.

Thanks!
Lizzie

Hi Lizzie
I'm hoping to do LEJOG next year too and I'm also based in London. I don't have a group myself (although various people have mumbled about coming) so I was thinking about joining an organised trip, but I'd happily change to a more ad hoc adventure! If nothing else I'd definitely be up for some training rides! I'm treating it as a bit of a "before I turn 30" thing! Drop me a PM if you're interested!
Becca

the sturge

Hi Guys,

I saw your posts about JOGLE for 2011, It may not help because it is at a different time, but I am involved with a JOGLE in June. It is an organised ride with about 550 other riders. Got involved last year and had the most amazing 10 days.

Loads of triathletes, olympian and paralympians.....a couple of them told me that they even beat their PB's in the summer!

Anywho I'll put the website on here www.rideacrossbritain.com

Takes all of the heartache out of the logisitcs, just turn up and ride, there are even training rides and things

see you there perhaps

Hi Lizzie
I'm hoping to do LEJOG next year too and I'm also based in London. I don't have a group myself (although various people have mumbled about coming) so I was thinking about joining an organised trip, but I'd happily change to a more ad hoc adventure! If nothing else I'd definitely be up for some training rides! I'm treating it as a bit of a "before I turn 30" thing! Drop me a PM if you're interested!
Becca

ian789

£1500 - I'd expect to be pushed along for that price
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
E

elbrow

Thanks for the tip Sturge.

Did see this one, but interested in doing it for a bit less if possible.

Anyone got any advice on roughly how much it costs to do it yourself (hostels rather than camping)?

Thanks

welshdragon

It cost us less than £200 per head for 9 nights accomodation in hotel about £100 per head for hire of bus as support vehicle. On top of that then is spending money for food and petrol etc That was our basic breakdown

hi have used these before 2009 trip to the alps very well run outfit.. http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/

larry

That's who I was thinking about going with, they've been recommended by a number of people. Bit pricey but everyone I know that's used them were v happy. Did you think it was good value for money?

cnb

Veteran
If you are concerned about transport for the le/jog.. When i did it i hired a car point to point,Newcastle put the bikes in the car drove to penzance airport left the car there then cycled to Lands end.. after arriving at john o groats we cycled back to wick then train to inverness where we once again hired a car point to point dropping it off in newcastle.. much easier than the train..this might not suit you but its a thought.

delport

Thanks for the tip Sturge.

Did see this one, but interested in doing it for a bit less if possible.

Anyone got any advice on roughly how much it costs to do it yourself (hostels rather than camping)?

Thanks

Train fares are cheap if booked in advance.My train fares for my recent john o'groats-lands end cycle.

southampton-london £4-50 [megatrain] this fare could have been £1-50 if booked a bit earlier.
london to edinburgh £14
edinburgh to inverness £10

inverness to wick off peak single booked on the day you arrive is £16 i think.
penzance up to london i believe is £14- in advance.

I got by on a fiver or less per day for 3 weeks and camped free for 22 nights.
Plenty of places you can camp free safely, especially in Scotland.

I'm not suggesting you do exactly as i have done, all i'm doing is highlighting the low cost of travel if booked a few weeks in advance.
I use the trainline website to find the cheapest fare ,then a few hours later go up and book the ticket and get a cycle reservation at my nearest station,they offer the exact same price i would pay at trainline, and there is no need for a credit card.

DM99

Hi,

I was looking to do the LE to JOG in 2011 with some of my rugby team, we had a look around and found www.moreadventure.co.uk they seem reasonably priced and seemed ok after a chat...so we went for it.

Would you guys use a proper touring bike or a more dedicated road/race bike?

Cheers

e-rider

crappy member
I would love to join you but I did it in 2009 and can't afford to do it again just yet - the last trip cost about £400 and that was with having a lot of the kit already.

Anyway, the difference between 10 days and 14 days is huge in terms of effort. 10 days will be quite a serious challenge if you are fairly new to cycling whereas 14 days would be quite relaxed - adding an extra day in here and there really can make a big difference. I did 11 days and that was quite hard work especially with bad weather and heavy panniers!

Good luck and enjoy - it's a great experience.

oh yeah, the A30 in Cornwall is the worst bit.

Rebel Ian

I've nothing against companies that run organised trips but I think part of the fun of something like LEJoG (which I'm doing in July :biggrin: ) is planning it yourself. Yes, it's a load of work but adds to the sense of achievement once you've done it.

Top Bottom