LEJOG - The fastest route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamie_B

Hi all

firstly can I start by saying sorry if this has been posted this in the wrong place or in the wrong way but im a new boy to all this stuff.

On the 9th of July I will be setting off to do the LEJOG, the original plan was to do the trip with a couple of mates, take it a reasonable pace and within reason take in a bit of the scenery etc etc. However all them nice relaxing enjoyable plans have gone right out the window (mates have bottled it) and ill now be doing it solo. This has really changed my approach for the ride and I am now only looking to get it done in the fastest time I possibly can.
My main question for everyone is concerning the route, could anyone help me with advice on the fastest route I should take. I know this sounds bad but I am only looking to do this as quick as I can and am not interested in scenery, don't get me wrong if there happens to be a nice view on the way then great but I defo don't want to be taking and un-necessary detours. Luckily my dad will be meeting me at points along the route in a motor home so food and accommodation will not be a problem. If anyone has any other good general hints worth sharing please don't hold back.

On another note if anyone is doing it at about the same time and could do with a hand getting equipment from A to B feel free to contact me as ive got the motor home. Will be driving from Essex to Lands End on about the 8th July, spend say 6 days doing the ride then (wind assisted) then drive all the way back from John O Grotes to sunny old Essex. (I'm not after any money as ill be going that way anyway)

Jamie

yello

I can't offer any advice on route Jamie but I did want to wish you luck.

It is a shame that your mates have bottled and that you've had a change of mind on how to approach it. It maybe something you only do the once so I think you want to enjoy the ride too; relax, take it easy, take in the scenery etc. Being on your own actually makes this potentially easier, as you can go at your own pace and stop as you like.

If you have time on your side (and someone in a motorhome to meet you along the route! Lucky sod!! :smile:) then personally I'd really consider taking the time to enjoy the route.

wyno70

If you want the fastest route, I'd simply go into google maps and see what it throws up. It's highly likely that you'll end up on major roads though and for a very few miles extra and a little research, you could end up on slightly less busy roads and a much more enjoyable route.

I tried it in May (fully loaded, camping JOGLE) but taking a long route along the top of Scotland to Durness and down the West Coast. Unfortunately I was taken ill after just after 300 miles and had to stop.

Having someone support you, take your gear and prepare food will be a massive bonus as it will give you time to concentrate on relaxing when you are not on the bike, doing any small maintenance you need to and refuelling properly.

Having said all of that, 6 days is still a hell of an undertaking and even the shortest, most direct routes will be approx 850 miles, i.e. 140 miles everyday. If you don't get a tail wind as expected, this will seriously slow you down.

If I was you, I'd give yourself a few days extra as you really can't push it if you get behind. With your itineray, if you get behind, you have no chance of making up extra miles, if you try to push it, the chances are you won't finish! (Whats your plan if you end up cycling into a 20mph headwind all day and only manage 100 miles. Do 180 the next day???).

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying that with a trip of this scale, it's unlikely to all go to plan. To illustrate my point, a fella I was speaking to recently had 3 punctures within 2 hours of setting off!

I hope thats helpful and I do talk with the benefit of having got it wrong once!

Next time for me will be much as you say, a direct route but North to South, very little luggage and hotels/ B&B's on the way!

OP
OP
J

Jamie_B

Well im saying 6 days.... but thats just me giving it the big one, its easy to say 6 days sitting on the sofa tapping away on me laptop haa haa. I have actually got 10 days booked off work so do have some up my sleeve should I run into problems

OP
OP
J

Jamie_B

A couple of people have said to look at the CTC website for good information, have I got the right site with this link ? http://www.ctc.org.uk/account/jointype.aspx . If so am I reading it right that its 36 quid to join and get some route info?. Im not tight but that does seem a little steep. I don't mind paying the money if its really going to help with information that cyclists cant pass to each other for free on forums like this. What do other people think ?????

OP
OP
J

Jamie_B

Just incase anyone is also looking for the fastest route. This is the route that a bunch of fast guys used, it seems to mainly stick with main roads and they smashed it out it out in 5 days. Thanks to people for replying and providing all sorts of snippets of helpful info. Good luck everyone

JOG to Wick on the A99 and A9, then Inverness and all the way to the Forth Road Bridge on the A9. This includes Old A9 from Perth via Glen Farg, Kinross and Inverkiething. A912, B996, B917, B981. Other than that, you're on the motorway!

From there cross the bridge and go southwest via Broxburn and Livingstone then onto the A706 and A73 for Abington. South on the Old A74 for Carlisle.
I understand there's a cycle-way open now connecting Gretna to Carlisle. You would have to go via Longtown on the A6071 and A7 - but perhaps not.

From Carlisle, follow A6 to Preston, then A49 to Shrewsbury via Wigan, Warrington and Whitchurch.

Then A484 to Bridgnorth, and A442 to Kidderminster, A449 to Worcester then A38 all the way to just north of Cullompton (Junction27 M5) via Gloucester, Bristol, Brigwater, Taunton and Wellington.

At Cullompton, you'll have got on the Old A30 at the motorway junction, now the B3181 for Exeter.

Exeter to LE is on the A30.

Greenbank

Über Member
Try and find the route that Andy Wilkinson (41 hours 4 minutes 22 seconds on a recumbent) or Gethin Butler (44 hours 4 minutes 20 seconds on a normal bicycle) used for their record attempts. I had a quick google but couldn't find anything.

5 days? In July 1886 someone rode it on a penny farthing in 5 days 1 hour and 45 minutes. I can't even begin to imagine how bad the roads must have been 123 years ago.

OP
OP
J

Jamie_B

Yeah I see a bloke on our local news who rode lejog on a penny farthing for charity the other year. He was saying the hardest bit was not getting up the hills, but getting down them ! as your stuck right up on top of this huge wheel that at the first sign of a downhill is trying its best to chuck you over the front !
When you imagine the state of the roads back then too............ it must have been a 5 day white knuckle ride !
and on top of all riding a dodgy bike on bad roads back then they didn't have the benefit of all the high energy drinks , gels, bars etc etc then the recovery high protein shakes at the end of each day.
I take my hat off to him, that guy must have had some big old kahooners (well if he didn't at the start I bet he did by the end);)

Big T

Guru
Don't bother joining the CTC if you're doing the main road route, it's pretty self explanatory.

The CTC pack also gives a scenic B&B route and a scenic YHA route.

Here's my blog:

www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

We followed the scenic route mostly, but did do some main road sections including the A6 from Lancaster to Garstang, A49 through Wigan and Warrington and the A38 from Taunton to Tiverton.

If you're going north, from Carlisle, head for Kingswood and you'll pass an asda on your left. Carry on on this road and it will bring you out at Gretna. If you're heading south, turn right off the main road at Gretna, just after you've passed the "Welcome to England" sign.

OP
OP
J

Jamie_B

haa haa I had a look at that link lastnight, I even started reading it....then thought blimey we have got a right nutter involved

onthe_road

A30 / B3260 Okehampton
B3215 / A3072 / A377 / A369 / A361 / A38 Bristol
A4018 / M48 / A466 / A49 Shrewsbury
A528 / B5476 / A49 / A573 / A49 / A6 Lancaster
A6 / A6070 / A6 / A7 Langholm
B709 / B7007 / A7 Edinburgh
A90 / B981 / B917 / B996 / A912 / A9 / B867 /A9 / B898 / A9 / A924 / B8079 / A9 Kingussie
B9152 / A95 / B9153 / A9 / B9154 / A9 all the way

andrew miners

im doing the ride with a colleague beginning june 25th with support vehicle etc both ways in ten days , if you,d like to tag along your welcome if this fits in with your schedule? we had a few bottle it alas! but the two of us are going for it , palnning 180 miles per day first stop bristol!
send us a reply

Top Bottom