LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
How much is it to enter? & Do places go quick? - I cant watch the video on the website on my work pc.
IIRC it was about £250 last time out. And places are filled near instantly.
Yep entry for 2013 was £250. Entry opens in early Jan 2017 (unless they change it this time around) and they went in a few hours. There were 1000 entrants last time around and I don't know if they plan to increase that or not. I won't be entering this time.

As you may have gathered from above, if you really, really want to do LEL it may be worth volunteering for 2017 and aiming to ride in 2021 as volunteers are guaranteed entry to the next event.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
£219 last time, though there's an expectation that they will need more paid staff in 2017 (some controls like Barnard Castle where I ended up were really stretched in 2013). It sold out very quickly last time, in a few hours IIRC.

I have also received the email after riding, packing after 400km and then volunteering for 3 days last time. I said I wasn't doing longer rides after 2013, but the DNF is bugging me and I have been offered a guarenteed place.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Got the same e-mail as you, @ComedyPilot, did you reply? :whistle:
Wondering if I am completely bonkers for even thinking about it for a mili-second... :ohmy: A little voice is telling me that I can just sign up now and decide later :eek::surrender:
I did actually dig out that infamous book from the bookshelf ... can I join the queue for blaming @arallsopp ? :laugh:
... and too much mingling with ultracyclist women (Juliana Buhring, Emily Chappell) recently at EdFoC ... :crazy:

T

OH YES. 2 years to get ready now.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:shy: hmmm ... I suppose you are right, @ComedyPilot ... might say yes, you never know what'll happen in the next couple of years anyway. If I can't/decide not to do the ride, I can always volunteer again :okay:. I really enjoyed it, doing a 36-hour shift rather than two 8-hour shifts as Edinburgh was short of volunteers (i.e. people not turning up, as far as I could tell), got an hour's kip at 7am when some of the next shift turned up but didn't really feel all that tired as there was too much to do. I also blame LEL for discovering my liking of night rides ... never thought I was much of a night owl, but staying awake in a cycling-related capacity :rolleyes: or on the bike afterwards didn't seem much of an issue. :scratch:

T

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do you also have to ride qualifiers like PBP as well as getting a place when registration opens?

I'm not considering it - just curious.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Do you also have to ride qualifiers like PBP as well as getting a place when registration opens?

I'm not considering it - just curious.
Nope. It's just get in early and get a place. No qualification necessary. In the 7 months leading up to LEL 2013 I think I managed 3 rides of 100 miles or more.

I would say for anyone wanting to do it, my experience of it was at 80% mental rather than physical. It's your mind that tells you to give up, your body just says "Feed me". That said I would make sure you can comfortably do 150 miler before attempting LEL.

Top Bottom