LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I know its a long way off - but im going to enter this! Even got the OK from the wife (sort of...)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yay! You can be our representative from the Metric Century challenge. It's a bit further than 100k, but you'll be fine I'm sure.

@martint235 says you have to be 80% mental to do it. At least I think that's what he said.
At least!! I'll wave at you as you enter whatever control I'm at.

Now about the controls, how do I get the job of waving people in and out? I don't really want to do the toilet cleaning job and the cyclists don't want me to do the cooking job.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
At least!! I'll wave at you as you enter whatever control I'm at.

Now about the controls, how do I get the job of waving people in and out? I don't really want to do the toilet cleaning job and the cyclists don't want me to do the cooking job.

Last time around, Catering were a specific team. There wasn't much cross pollination. Waving in and out / cleaning / ushering / clearing plates away / control desk are all rotated according to inclination and demand. To be honest, Daniel put such a good team together last time that I'd have done anything anyone asked just to make their lives easier. I think the same is true of the others too. Where'll you be posted?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Last time around, Catering were a specific team. There wasn't much cross pollination. Waving in and out / cleaning / ushering / clearing plates away / control desk are all rotated according to inclination and demand. To be honest, Daniel put such a good team together last time that I'd have done anything anyone asked just to make their lives easier. I think the same is true of the others too. Where'll you be posted?
No idea, not sure how that bit works either. Hoping to get somewhere like Market Rasen, Pocklington so that I can ride up and back.

Trickedem

Guru
I vaguely recall my wife saying that she might volunteer to help, so I could do this. I am not entertaining any further thoughts about this until PBP is done.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
FWIW - the Thirsk control was organised like this: catering professional - cleaning - professional - registration volunteers, directing/parking/bike watch volunteers - washing up/table clearing volunteers - bag drop/bed watch - volunteers

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I fancy this as a challenge,

Never done so far in a short tour
Don't do big mileages anymore due to dodgy knees, tho little and often cycling does help them.
My bike stock also doesn't have an Audax/tourer.
No space at home for n+1.
Just survived another round of pay cuts and redundancies but job prospects are iffy for a splurge on even a 2nd hand bike when I've got several alrready *to the untrained eye of courde*(there's a gumtree Dawes Horizon 2 miles from me for £175 right now)
Speaking of which, Mrs SB knows nothing of my plans yet.

What could possibly go wrong ;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I fancy this as a challenge,

Never done so far in a short tour
Don't do big mileages anymore due to dodgy knees, tho little and often cycling does help them.
My bike stock also doesn't have an Audax/tourer.
No space at home for n+1.
Just survived another round of pay cuts and redundancies but job prospects are iffy for a splurge on even a 2nd hand bike when I've got several alrready *to the untrained eye of courde*(there's a gumtree Dawes Horizon 2 miles from me for £175 right now)
Speaking of which, Mrs SB knows nothing of my plans yet.

What could possibly go wrong ;)

I've known people less prepared. Well, one person, at least :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I got an e mail today offering a place in the 2017 LEL without having to complete any qualifying rides. Has anyone else received this e mail?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Same one. There are no qualifiers for LEL. :smile:

I get a guaranteed place if I want it after helping on a control last time. Audax UK members (who were members in March 2015) will get an earlier chance to enter too, and then it's open to anyone mad enough to try! :biggrin:

Top Bottom