LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tatr

Good job on the 200s. I think the max distance between controls is less than 100km so that should build some confidence.

I'm off work today and going through my cycling clothing to see what purchases I need to make. I bought a big bag of clothing from somebody who was giving up ages ago and have never really explored it until today. There are some useful jackets / windproof tops.

Given that Wiggle do quick delivery, I'm waiting until much closer to the time to order any new clothes I need. Who knows how many kilos I'll add or remove before then :-)

The one exception (if I didn't already have them) would be a tight merino base layer, socks, and buff. These are currently quite cheap (end of winter sales) and are nice and warm with very little bulk or aerodynamic penalty.

The thing which always seems to take forever is ordering lighting brackets, adapters and luggage. Inevitably the only people with stock of what I want are tiny shops in Australia.

What's the BCM?

The Brian Chapman Memorial, a 600 in Wales in May. That'll be the longest distance I've ridden to date by 200km. I'm sure it'll be fine... as long as it doesn't snow this year!

Ajax Bay

Guru
100 hour groups I'd expect the on the road average speed to be nearer 27-30kmh.
Averaging 27kph on the road will mean 53 hours of riding time. This would leave 4 nights of 8 hours sleep (32) and another 15 hours (for an hour's stop at every non-sleeping control). I don't think most 100 riders will adopt this approach (they will stop for shorter times, both at controls and sleeping, and maybe ride through the first night) and ride slower. Of course if they're planning to finish in 84 hours then immediately you save the fourth night's sleep (8 hours) and 27kph average would allow 3 nights of 6 hours (which is plenty really) and 16 stops of 45 minutes (average).
Averaging 23kph on the road will mean 62 hours of riding time. This would leave 4 nights of 5 3/4 hours sleep (23) and another 15 hours (for an hour's stop at every non-sleeping control) to hit 100 hours. This is broadly my plan (which I absolutely acknowledge is just that: a plan) though a bit slower on the road and 45 minute average stops).
Perhaps @tatr can add his view. Are you expecting 27+kph trains? Certainly to St Ives, probably to Spalding and to the Lincolnshire Wolds, but then I think people will ease off.

tatr

Perhaps @tatr can add his view. Are you expecting 27+kph trains? Certainly to St Ives, probably to Spalding and to the Lincolnshire Wolds, but then I think people will ease off.

I'm expecting it to be fast all the way to the 339km control - Pocklington. I've got my first bag drop there as I'm hoping to arrive before dark (within 15 or so hours) to change for night riding before pushing on.

That's an average of 22.6kph but by the time you account for junctions and stops I think it requires ~28-30kph road speed, which is what I generally cruise at on my own. Anything gained from working in a group is a bonus.

I'm not wedded to a fixed plan though because headwinds in the fens could change everything. As long as I'm always moving faster than the minimum speed then I'm making time :okay:

Where have others placed their bag drops?

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I'm not wedded to a fixed plan though because headwinds in the fens could change everything. As long as I'm always moving faster than the minimum speed then I'm making time :okay:

Where have others placed their bag drops?

I don't know how much to plan / not to plan or how easy it will be to stick to a plan. I've been given a 14:30 time which has thrown any semblance of a plan out of the window. My plan was to stop every night for at least some of the hours of darkness, with the intention of Pocklington being my first stop. With my start time I'm now not sure whether to make an earlier stop or crack on for the first night. I'm toying with the idea of Louth and Brampton, using each stop twice.

tatr

12 hours for the 240km to Louth would put you there at half past two with 7.5 hours in hand.

Not a bad time to get off the road and avoid any pre-dawn chill.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't know how much to plan / not to plan or how easy it will be to stick to a plan. I've been given a 14:30 time which has thrown any semblance of a plan out of the window. My plan was to stop every night for at least some of the hours of darkness
Better to have a plan than not, imo. If that plan is based on riding experience (ie of riding a distance either side of and through some of a night) so much the better. With a 1430 (instead of 0930?) start time, Louth is 97km nearer than Pocklington so you'd likely arrive at the same sort of time of night (early morning). Louth would've been my choice if I'd been bumped to mid afternoon (avoidance of which was my reason from changing my preference from 0945 to 1145 btw) but that was for speeds aiming for 100 hour completion.
Your strategy (and the plan derived therefrom) needs to take into account how you will address the 'last' night. Full value from a 1430 start implies finishing ~1100 Friday. So you'll either need to plan for five 'longer' stops during some of each night's dark hours or plan to ride through Thursday night; or plan to finish with several hours in hand (eg 10) and finish sometime Thu/Fri night in the hours of darkness.
I have attached an xl spreadsheet for you to play with.

Attachments

• LEL_1430_Start(FV).xlsx
    18 KB · Views: 24

tatr

This is my optimistic plan - based on good weather and no head wind.

I've added an "overall average speed" column as I do find that this is more consistent than road speed + breaks.

Attachments

• TATR LEL_1430_Start(FV).xlsx
    18.6 KB · Views: 58

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine's on paper slower but involves sleeping less and stopping faster: on PBP I rode through 2 of the 3 nights to finish in under 70 hours and this time, if able to ride, I'm planning on riding through 2 of 4. Also I bounce controls very quickly, logging in then grabbing whatever food I can and keeping going. This time my change bags will have a couple of changes of clothes, bars, snacks, batteries, etc. all of which I carried with me on PBP.

Also I like night riding - less traffic and I can just go with the flow whilst concentrating on the road ahead.

Attachments

• LEL.xlsx
    16.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

tatr

Also I like night riding - less traffic and I can just go with the flow whilst concentrating on the road ahead.

Me too, but I also want to see some of the sights in the day so I'm conflicted.

I've got longer control times in because this will be my first holiday in 18 months and I'd like to talk to some people about bikes!

Nebulous

Guru
This is my optimistic plan - based on good weather and no head wind.

I've added an "overall average speed" column as I do find that this is more consistent than road speed + breaks.

That's a big hit for the second day, from Pocklington to Edinburgh and back to Innerleithen.

I suppose a 'day' doesn't have to be 24 hours, just because it normally is. I could do 26 or 27 hour days instead of 24s. There's no rhythm of having to be at work for 9am, just get on your bike and crank. I've had an initial go, but I need to come back to it with the benefit of a few more events under my belt.

Attachments

• Copy of LEL_1430_Start_Neb.xlsx
    17.8 KB · Views: 44

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You got Coxwold and Alston in there as 30 mins stops both ways. They are not mandatory controls and unless you plan to sleep there they'd be no reason to have stopping there in your plan. If you were sleeping there I'd expect more than 30 mins.

tatr

That's a big hit for the second day, from Pocklington to Edinburgh and back to Innerleithen.

I suppose a 'day' doesn't have to be 24 hours, just because it normally is. I could do 26 or 27 hour days instead of 24s.

Day 1 will actually be a 4am start and a 359km day for me by the time I've ridden to the start from home. So I'm hoping to compensate with a longer day 2 for the psychologial boost of being on the way back before stopping for a second night's sleep. I've got enough slack in day 2 to take a nap somewhere if I'm getting dozy.

I also think Edinburgh (along with Louth, Pock, and Brampton) might be a really busy sleep controls because they are natural bag drops and by pushing on there may be more peace and quiet. It might not work in practice.

New bike luggage is on the way. http://www.alpamayodesigns.com/index.php/products/frame-bags/partial-frame-bag.html size 2 in black which should perfectly fit my frame. I'm hoping to do without a big saddle pack. Just don't tell my wife! :secret:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Better to have a plan than not, imo. If that plan is based on riding experience (ie of riding a distance either side of and through some of a night) so much the better. With a 1430 (instead of 0930?) start time, Louth is 97km nearer than Pocklington so you'd likely arrive at the same sort of time of night (early morning). Louth would've been my choice if I'd been bumped to mid afternoon (avoidance of which was my reason from changing my preference from 0945 to 1145 btw) but that was for speeds aiming for 100 hour completion.
Your strategy (and the plan derived therefrom) needs to take into account how you will address the 'last' night. Full value from a 1430 start implies finishing ~1100 Friday. So you'll either need to plan for five 'longer' stops during some of each night's dark hours or plan to ride through Thursday night; or plan to finish with several hours in hand (eg 10) and finish sometime Thu/Fri night in the hours of darkness.
I have attached an xl spreadsheet for you to play with.
Having the knowledge/experience to put a plan together is certainly an asset (IMO)
But be prepared to chuck it out the window if (or rather when) it's not working for you.
If you are lucky it might last you to Edinburgh - by which time you'll hopefully have a decent amount of time in hand.
But working your strategy back from the "last" night? Really?

Top Bottom