LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm on the late shift, 16:00 so get to enjoy the Fens in their best state, in the dark so you can't see them ! :biggrin:
Bonus might be Humber Bridge at sunrise :smile:

iZaP

Über Member
Got my 15:00 start which I choose, so no surprises here!

Time is flying, will be cycling to Scotland in no time!!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Any one else in a 100h group?
I can think of only five reasons to be in the 100 hour 0600-0800 element:
1) Trains at a better average speed eg 23kph average on the road; and like minded riders
2) Hell bent on an assured early start and prepared to accept the chance of 'hors delai'
3) The opportunity to be ahead of the 'bulge' at controls (especially first night sleeping at Pocklington)
4) When in company, cycling with riders who will likely have good road craft
5) A member of a group that has by consensus agreed to go for the 100 hour limit
[Edit - added after event: 6) Preferred an early start and didn't realise that those starts had a 100 hour limit - met a few of those - all (mostly) eventually hors delai.]

Feel free to contribute other motives/reasons.

I am just going to go for sub 100 hours from my 1145 start, planning (best laid and all that) 315km rides daily: Travelodge Hull South Cave, Moffat, Barnard Castle, and finishing off from Spalding (181 to go, to finish by 1545 Thursday). Though I have not thought out what to do that night (apart from rehydration) as the drop bags won't be back till Friday morning (AIUI).

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
probably need to practice some night riding
In this spirit last night I rode a 100 from sunset (8pm) to moonset (0440) - needed to get in a century for April. Lights were good. Temperature was low, though (forecast down to 2 degrees) so hands grateful for winter lobsters but toes almost lost all feeling. I don't know why I thought spring 2 degrees would be warmer than winter 2 degrees when I decided not to wear neoprene overboots over my winter boots. Lesson identified; and will be learnt if my behaviour changes next time.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I am just going to go for sub 100 hours from my 1145 start, planning (best laid and all that) 315km rides daily: Travelodge Hull South Cove, Moffat, Barnard Castle, and finishing off from Spalding (181 to go, to finish by 1545 Thursday). Though I have not thought out what to do that night (apart from rehydration) as the drop bags won't be back till Friday morning (AIUI).

Pick me up as you come past :whistle: (10.30 start).

I'm planning on riding through the first night, sleeping near Moffat, riding through the third and sleeping near Spalding to finish Thursday pm with a hotel booked Thursday night.

tatr

1) Trains at a better average speed eg 23kph average on the road; and like minded riders
2) Hell bent on an assured early start and prepared to accept the chance of 'hors delai'
3) The opportunity to be ahead of the 'bulge' at controls (especially first night sleeping at Pocklington)
4) When in company, cycling with riders who will likely have good road craft
5) A member of a group that has by consensus agreed to go for the 100 hour limit

Feel free to contribute other motives/reasons.

All of the above + need to get back to work/parenting by Thursday morning.

tatr

Training time is pretty scarce due to the little one but generally feeling pretty good at this point. The next big milestone is the BCM followed by an aerobar setup tweak/check on the A&S.

I've bought a couple of new spare batteries to go in drop bags - volt 800, 300 and 50 so all the batteries can fit any light.

How are you all getting on?

Last edited:

tatr

The official site has an opt in for control tracking.

TCR-like dots for 1500 riders might be a bit hard, but there's a 5am fast group. Not sure what's planned for them.

Nebulous

Guru
Training time is pretty scarce due to the little one but generally feeling pretty good at this point. The next big milestone is the BCM followed by an aerobar setup tweak/check on the A&S.

I've bought a couple of new spare batteries to go in drop bags - volt 800, 300 and 50 so all the batteries can fit any light.

How are you all getting on?

It's hard to tell how its going as I have nothing to measure it against. I've done two 200s to date. The second one was faster and not as tiring as the first one. I have a 300 booked for the end of the month, so that will be another step up and a further test. I'm off work today and going through my cycling clothing to see what purchases I need to make. I bought a big bag of clothing from somebody who was giving up ages ago and have never really explored it until today. There are some useful jackets / windproof tops.

What's the BCM?

Top Bottom