LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tatr

I'm going to have a GPS Beacon running (using bubbler/spotwalla) and quite possibly a live video stream if I can get the technology sorted out.

iLB

Hello there
Thoughts on AA powered lighting options outside of Hope 1's?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have been provisionally allocated to Pocklington for the duration (I volunteered for the full event ) promises to be a busy time if 2013 is anything to go by :smile:

Paul
I'm due to be at Pocklington too. Plan is to leave with the tail of the ride and ride back to London.

Just watched the video of 2013 and although I don't feature it brought back many memories. There's a guy on there who says something like "Sure you can get a train home or you can look deep within yourself to see what's there ". And I think that sums up the tough bit, it's not about being tired it's about keeping going

videoman

Guru
I'm due to be at Pocklington too. Plan is to leave with the tail of the ride and ride back to London.

Just watched the video of 2013 and although I don't feature it brought back many memories. There's a guy on there who says something like "Sure you can get a train home or you can look deep within yourself to see what's there ". And I think that sums up the tough bit, it's not about being tired it's about keeping going

I've also volunteered for the whole event and been allocated to Pocklington.

Back in 2013 I ordered some LEL 2013 frame/mudguard stickers and sold them to raise money for Danial Webb's chosen charity. I have volunteered to do so again for 2017. Before ordering anymore I would like to know how the 2013 stickers are faring? Are there any proud owners on here?
17361840_10154349082536186_6455084863150950740_n.jpg

I've got one on each road bike and one on the back of my iPhone.

I would also like a 2017 one but as is well known now I'm not riding so it probably wouldn't feel right
You have an iPhone that is 4yrs old?!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thoughts on AA powered lighting options outside of Hope 1's?
Most will point you at B&M, but at the lower end of the price scale....
Smart 60 lux on high setting is similar to the Hope on low power. OK in a group or in bright moonlight, but a bit marginal if you are on your own on a dark country lane.
Not abslutely 100% reliable in wet; but not bad as a low cost back-up option as they can often be had for very few £ at P-X

I'm in the process of speccing out a bike for LEL, and I'm currently torn between either a Genesis Tour de Fer (and stripping it of touring accessories for LEL) or a Croix de Fer (with a view to converting it into a tourer after the event)

I don't want to make the same false economy mistake I did with the (sadly stolen) Kaffenback, where I used a relatively cheap second hand bike as a starting point for the build, as by the time I'd gotten it up to touring requirements I'd spent far more than I would have if I'd bought an off-the-shelf bike.

Any thoughts?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I don't want to make the same false economy mistake I did with the (sadly stolen) Kaffenback, where I used a relatively cheap second hand bike as a starting point for the build, as by the time I'd gotten it up to touring requirements I'd spent far more than I would have if I'd bought an off-the-shelf bike.
Any thoughts?

Erm ... I did that for PBP. A second-hand Ridgeback Platinum frame from here, second-hand Ultegra 6700 shifters married to second-hand Dura Ace 7800 cranks, front & rear derailleur coupled with new long-drop brakes, discount ITM Aero 3.0 wheels and mudguards. By the time I was done it cost £600 for a fully set-up bike. The bottle cages are still non-matching 99p jobbies though :tongue:

Croix de Fer would be my choice if new though.

Top Bottom