LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iZaP

Über Member
Trying to grasp how fast someone would have to be to go for sub 100h? any help? ^_^:bicycle:
Or I guess how little someone can sleep?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Trying to grasp how fast someone would have to be to go for sub 100h? any help? ^_^:bicycle:
The last time I worked it out, 1,433 km divided by 100 hours came out at 14.33 km/hour! :okay:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[QUOTE 4701324, member: 10119"]I dunno - I was pretty snarky after 13 hours overnight in the kitchen :biggrin:[/QUOTE]
There was one French rider who was a bit tetchy when he arrived at the desk and my school french wasn't really working. I ended up waking @User10119 up to sort him out, and dispatch him to Darlington station with a 'Please look after this bear cyclist note :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Trying to grasp how fast someone would have to be to go for sub 100h? any help?
Have a look at this spreadsheet which is one of several variations I have used to consider sleep stops and bag drop tactics for a (self imposed time limit) 100 hour ride. I have inserted 4 sleep stops (6 hours each) and stops at every control averaging 40 minutes. For planning purposes, I expect to able to maintain 26kph on the first flat section during daytime, 22kph otherwise, dropping to 20kph on the hilly sections (remember these speeds are 'rolling' and do not include the stops at the controls). This plans for a 3/4 day, 3 days, and half a day, to finish 4 days and 4 hours after starting.
You can change the data to your heart's delight. This spreadsheet originated (sfaik) by David Foxcroft on another forum. I have tailored it and added 'time in hand'.

Attachments

• LEL Timings -1130 start.xlsx
    17.6 KB · Views: 51

tatr

Or I guess how little someone can sleep?

I've been working in the basis that at least 25kph moving average is required.

At 20kph you'll be cycling for 71.5 hours, meaning one full nights sleep and a short stop at every control - don't think this will work.

At 29kph you'll be cycling for 50h, meaning three nights sleep and a short stop at every control. That sounds lovely.

Unfortunately to get a 29kph moving average in the UK requires a cruising speed of 35-40kph thanks to the inevitable slow downs at junctions and on bad roads. Easy enough if you get in a fast group, but too hot for me on my own for 1400km even with aerobars.

25kph means 57h of cycling, so that should allow 4x 4h sleep stops and a short stop at every control. It also means a cruising speed of about 30kph which seems much more realistic.

Ajax Bay

Guru
25kph means 57h of cycling, so that should allow 4x 4h sleep stops and a short stop at every control.
Four 4 hour stops plus 16 one hour stops at the mandatory controls you don't sleep at (ignore Coxwold/Alston for this purpose) and a moving average of 25kph would achieve a sub 90 hour ride.
Allowing an hour for every stop seems dawdling to me (YMMV - your personal experience from 200km+ audaxes will offer useful data), so those 4 sleep stops can be 5 hours and the average needs be 'only' 22kph: 65 hours of rolling time plus the occasional control bounce or at least only a half hour stop. The wind will not be behind us all the time. If a rider goes for an early start (ie committed to the 100 hour limit) the alternative is 4 long days and only 3 night stops: average 360km each 18 hour day. 6 hour sleep stop, 15 hours rolling (@ 24kph) and 3 hours worth of control stops. Horses for courses (of action/plan, of which there are many).

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Mad the lot of you. :smile:

I managed 2013 in 104 hours and I can honestly say it was the final hairdryer day that cost me those 4 hours but I wouldn't like to aim for that kind of time again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just out of interest what is the minimum speed/cutoff time? There seems to be mixed info out there.

I went to the LEL website and it's a bit vague: It says "in under five days" (120 hrs or 11.8 km/h) It then contradicts itself and says "you have just over 100 hours to get back to London" Which seems a bit unforgiving (14km/h)
On the other hand the aukweb.net page says there is a minimum of 12 km/h, which would give a time limit of 118 hrs which is slightly more humane but still not within the bounds of sanity.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just out of interest what is the minimum speed/cutoff time? There seems to be mixed info out there.

I went to the LEL website and it's a bit vague: It says "in under five days" (120 hrs or 11.8 km/h) It then contradicts itself and says "you have just over 100 hours to get back to London" Which seems a bit unforgiving (14km/h)
On the other hand the aukweb.net page says there is a minimum of 12 km/h, which would give a time limit of 118 hrs which is slightly more humane but still not within the bounds of sanity.
IIRC 2013 was 116 hours 20 mins

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
IIRC 2013 was 116 hours 20 mins

Same again for 2017 although the quicker riders can opt for 100 hours.

I'm expecting to be slower than PBP due to a) less 'groups' although I only rode in a group for the first 100k and b) I'm injured and mostly ride one-legged uphill:

Over-planning this doesn't always help. I've my spreadsheet with controls and what I'm doing (quick stop 15 min / eat 30-60 min / sleep 6 hr) and some outline times but that's it. Outbound speed's set at 22kph and homebound at 20kph. This has me coming in at 94 hours with 22 hrs in hand for any 'issues'.

iZaP

Über Member
Thanks to everyone for the info!!!

I will still go for the 116h limit, however once I'll be moving I'll see if I can make it sub 100h!

Ajax Bay

Guru
116 hours 40 minutes for 'full value'. This is worked out by dividing 1400 (the extra 33km are a bonus!) by 12kph.
From the LEL site: "Riders setting off between 06:00 and 08:00 will have a minimum speed of 14kph, meaning they will have just 100 hours to finish. Riders starting between 09:00 and 16:00 will have a minimum speed of 12kph, giving them an extra 16 hours and 40 minutes to get back to London."
So in the quote above this is based on a notional 1400km length (as per LRM regs: hundred integrals). In practice this means the required average speed to make 116:40 is 12.28kph.
Like @iZaP I will be riding to a self-imposed 100 hour target (as mathematician @ColinJ has said, unsurprisingly 14.33kph average). The difference is (maybe), that I shall be planning for that and not leaving it till I am "moving", although 'moving' is what's going to achieve it.
By the way, in my judgement, anyone who has asked for a start between 0900-0930, who has not got a partner/wife/husband helping as a volunteer, is effectively asking for a post 1500 start [Edit: has a 75% chance of getting a 5 hour later post 1415 start]. All the 200+ riders who have chosen not to express a preference will presumably be allocated the 1430-1600.]

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the info. I was a bit puzzled by the 100 hour figure, which I thought was a cutoff rather than a personal target.

I'm looking forward to following you all from the comfort of a PC screen. Rah Rah team CC etc.

Top Bottom